Share your EL29 update experience here!!

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
makes you wonder what we'll go through if/when we get ICS........oh the nightmares! my Fancy Widgets and Beautiful Widgets are having a difficult time updating my location as I travel around, often times it will show a location I was at the day before, didnt do this nonsense before this update

Thedonkeyshow808

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Every time I connect anything through the headphones, everything gets muted.

The other day I took a call and plugged in my headphones.
After removing the headphones I couldn't get any volume controls.

The only way to fix it was to reboot my phone.

Has this happen to anyone else?
I thought I was done with this crap. its like having a palm pre all over again.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
One possible positive: My Bluetooth isn't dumping from my Ford Sync like it used to. Every 4th or 5th time in the car, I'd see that there was no connection. (Usually when the phone rings in my pocket while driving. Not good!) When I'd try to reconnect, it wouldn't unless I turned BT off and then back on. It would also drop calls off the Sync hands-free system, sending me scrambling to grab the phone because the car was "In Privacy" and only the handset worked. Since updating, it hasn't dropped off once that I've noticed. I'm still annoyed about the borked wallpapers, but it hasn't been all bad.

My GPS is worse. It reports in foursqare and places that I'm still at places I was hours earlier. GPS finds no signal inside buildings that it worked in before :-\ :(
I've had similar problems as detailed on this thread (start with post #15). What's weird is that if you look at the map in the Explore area in Foursquare, it does have you located properly, but it thinks you're elsewhere for check-ins. Gas Buddy, too. Super annoying, but it was flaking out before EL29 update.

KITTY44

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I see many complaints about "no scrolling wallpaper". I'm not sure how that is suppose to act, but I use Go Launcher EX and have set my wallpaper to ICS PRO and the checker board pattern seems to move as I scroll through each screen. Just for a test, I switched wallpaper to Live Wallpapers Ocean weather and the clouds keep moving no matter which screen I'm on. Isn't that what it's suppose to do? Anyway, maybe those of you who want the scroll back might consider switching to GO Launcher EX and pick your wallpaper from there. I admit I don't know much about the various apps yet, but I hope this may help someone.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Get a Live Wallpaper which changes orientation as you swipe from side-to-side like NFL Teams, Prismatic, Captain America or Jump Gate and see what doesn't happen. All of those rotate objects in 3D space to get different angles (Prismatic rotates the pattern) and all are now broken in EL29. I've tried other launchers that people claim work with no success, not that I want to switch from TW.

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned in the instructions for that thread, you need CWM custom recovery to install the OTA+root.

Assuming you are on EK02, you can obtain CWM using the Auto Root package:
[ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers

If you are rooted, use Option C to install EK02+CWM (I think you are rooted since you ran the OTA Compliance Check)

If you are not rooted, use Option A to install root, then Option C to install EK02+CWM.

D'oh. Completely missed that part. Sorry and thanks for your help.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had the update notification all day on phone....after reading everyones comments I dont think I'm gonna update,

I suggest to those that are complaining the update ruined their phones, destroyed their lives, etc that next time when an update comes through, you not install it. You should come to these forums and listen to what other people find and you can even call Sprint or go online and find out what is in the update before installing it.

It is not that hard to rollback if you look around. It didn't "ruin" your $499 phone or kill your puppy dog.

For me, it fixed an incredibly annoying bug that wouldn't let you use a wired headset to answer calls or hang up with the headset button.

Last edited:

Skizzaa

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I suggest to those that are complaining the update ruined their phones, destroyed their lives, etc that next time when an update comes through, you not install it. You should come to these forums and listen to what other people find and you can even call Sprint or go online and find out what is in the update before installing it.

It is not that hard to rollback if you look around. It didn't "ruin" your $499 phone or kill your puppy dog.

For me, it fixed an incredibly annoying bug that wouldn't let you use a wired headset to answer calls or hang up with the headset button.
I dont think anyone is complaining that bad. I have seen some positives from the update. BUT I feel the previous version had many of the little things in it that made our phone a pleasure to use.

All this update did was motivate me to root the phone, something I wanted to do anyways! :confused:

Xippy

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I am pissed about the removal of the portrait wallpaper setting with the EL29 update. How about challenging some of these dubious patent claims, Samsung? We need some corporate lawyers and federal judges with the balls to reestablish some common sense in the patent arena.

ElectroWiz

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
On airplane mode my phone is warm to the touch and its draining my battery faster than it should while on airplane mode. Is any one else having this issue?

voidcomp

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting a HUGE improvement in 3G speeds, over triple. Whether this is because of the update or Sprint has improved the network in my area is anyone's guess.

dev2nsu

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
sfhub, when I try to install your ota update it just takes me to a screen with an android and an exclamation point. What am I doing wrong? It says that signature verification failed.

Hey I'm experiencing the same thing. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Michael jc70 you CAN choose not to install if you don't mind having constant update reminders appearing on your screen about 10 or more times a day (seems to stop at night). This is one faulty update they want you to have. Samsung lost a lawsuit with apple over the scrolling wallpaper and had to remove it from the Epic 4G touch ASAP. Next time understand what's happening. I have to click off the update reminder tons of times a day, and I will continue doing so as the EL 29 update was klilling my battery (even with a 3800 extended battery). I got another phone and am constantly clicking away the update which is ANNOYING to say the least. If they want me to install this crummy update let them reimburse me the $499 + tax I paid for the phone!

Last edited:

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Michael I never had the wired headset problem when I used one on EK02 and didn't have it with bluetooth either. May just be your phone. :(

Last edited:

Gami004pilot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
OMG! This is the worst update of them all....my battery dies faster, my live wall papers don't work properly even the regular wallpapers dont scroll... My email is acting wierd in yahoo....
Is the Samsung company on crack or is this a conspiracy to get another phone?
Im surely getting an Iphone when this contract is over.
Every update on this phone something seems to :'(be wrong. I wish my phone could go back to stock the way it was when new.:'(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe