Should all carriers getting the s3 force faster updates

mjserrata

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Do yall think that this will force Samsung to be more responsible with updates? Not only for Jelly Bean but for what ever is after that.

He123321

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
IMO, carriers are the ones that hold up the major updates, and not the phone manufactures. They need time in testing, and adding their special bloat ware to the devices. But that is just my 2 centavos :)

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
By the time jelly bean or whatever comes after it rolls out for real you will likely be in another phone anyway.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
By the time jelly bean or whatever comes after it rolls out for real you will likely be in another phone anyway.

I will hold onto phones for at least 2 years. If manufactures start putting on screen buttons on all the phones this may be my last one.

mjserrata

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Well IMO since all of the carriers should essentially get the same software update from Samsung, the carriers will be forced to compete on which one can put out a faster update.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well IMO since all of the carriers should essentially get the same software update from Samsung, the carriers will be forced to compete on which one can put out a faster update.

Why would they compete to see who gets the updates faster? They will release the updates on their network once they have approved it. I do not think they care what the other carrier is doing regarding updates.

dtg755

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I honestly think this will help as they will only have 2 hardware variants that will cover most of the world so they won't have to rework the update for multiple hardware types

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I will hold onto phones for at least 2 years. If manufactures start putting on screen buttons on all the phones this may be my last one.

I have no idea how it feels to use the same phone for 2 yrs. That would drive me mad. I switch phones every 6 mos or so.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think this will allow Sammy to get the release candidates out the the carriers faster for testing, but I do not see anything that would prompt the carriers to actually release it faster.

THe carriers will take their own sweet time releasing updates. By the time JB is available for the GSIII, the carriers probably won't be selling many of them and they most likely be offering them for peanuts so the desire to release a major new update will be small for them.

-Suntan

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
We all would like to think this would boil down to quicker updates but that isn't always the case. Especially when your talking Sprint & Verizon who are CDMA/LTE and in return have proprietary files that need to be dealt with. Normally this factor right there is a key reason for Sprint/Verizon to be slower on their upgrades rolling out due to the files they hold so dearly over GSM devices.

This is only one situation, again it comes down to individual carrier testing & approval in the long run regardless of CDMA or GSM.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Somehow I don't think it has much to do with the carriers at all. Consider the Wifi Galaxy Tab 10.1. Samsung doesn't have to cater to any carriers for it. Guess what? It's not been updated to ICS yet.

The original Asus Transformer and Acer Iconia Tab, contemporary tablets with the same hardware are running ICS. Samsung's own Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, which has very similar hardware to the Tab 10.1 is running ICS. From the way I see it, Samsung is horribly irresponsible with updates and that's the reason I decided to go with another manufacturer for my new phone. Now I hope they change their tune with the GS3, but as an unsatisfied Samsung customer I'd do myself a disservice if I bought Samsung again...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlgulliver