Should HTC/Sprint give good will gesture?

Who, if anyone, should offer good will gesture for EVO debacle?

• Total voters

learntall

May 19, 2011
Visit site
HTC and Sprint are as much the victim as we are. The reason for the phone's delay is outside the control of both companies, and they gain nothing from this delay. Also phones are luxury items, not necessities, so don't be greedy just because the phone you want is delayed a week or so.

(and yes I also preordered the phone and am disappointed that I don't have it today)

I'm not sure that I can agree with you on this, HTC should not have infringed on Apple's patent in the first place, regardless of how insignificant it may be. We can also say that Sprint was aware of the situation, so having a shipment that is necessary to fulfill your orders clearing customs so close to the date of release wasn't their brightest idea.

As far as phones being a luxury item I would like to say that although this phone for me is a significant upgrade from my ANCIENT HTC Hero that I am using now (and is on it's last leg) it is also my only phone. I do not have a home phone and I have two children so when I am alone, that my wife is out, it is my lifeline should something happen. Could I consider changing to another phone, yes, but mine is still pulling through for now and I am more than sure that I will have my next phone until my 2yrs are up. With that being said I want the EVO because I trust that HTC makes a quality product and I am sure that although new and better tech will land soon this EVO will last me until my next upgrade.

And to not forget the GREEDY comment, I am not one to say I am owed anything nor do I care what the companies decide is appropriate as long as I feel appreciated as a customer. With the way HTC/Sprint has handled the situation I do not feel appreciated or respected as a customer and I would like a show of good faith from them in some form to show me that I am a "Valued Customer" as they say.

cruiserandmax

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
HTC and Sprint are as much the victim as we are. The reason for the phone's delay is outside the control of both companies, and they gain nothing from this delay.

This is business. Sprint made an agreement with you- they took your money and promised you a phone they were not able to deliver. Sprint's liability is to you. HTC's liability is to Sprint, so if you want your money back YOU GET IT. Then it's Sprint's problem to get that money back from HTC. Then it's HTC's problem to get compensated from Apple if they suffered a loss from this injunction and can prove it was unjust and they were not at fault.

If you don't agree with that then vote accordingly, because that is currently how the law works.

I think...

Last edited:

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I don't think customers are owed anything. Would it be nice if Sprint and/or HTC offered customers something? Yes, it'd be nice but that's just it: nice not obligatory. The events from earlier this week was not of their doing nor their fault so I don't see any reason why they should be obligated to give people anything other than the One X and EVO LTE. Now if this were to go on for an extended period of time (feel free to define 'extended' however you see fit), thaaaaat's a little different, I think.

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure that I can agree with you on this, HTC should not have infringed on Apple's patent in the first place, regardless of how insignificant it may be. We can also say that Sprint was aware of the situation, so having a shipment that is necessary to fulfill your orders clearing customs so close to the date of release wasn't their brightest idea.

As far as phones being a luxury item I would like to say that although this phone for me is a significant upgrade from my ANCIENT HTC Hero that I am using now (and is on it's last leg) it is also my only phone. I do not have a home phone and I have two children so when I am alone, that my wife is out, it is my lifeline should something happen. Could I consider changing to another phone, yes, but mine is still pulling through for now and I am more than sure that I will have my next phone until my 2yrs are up. With that being said I want the EVO because I trust that HTC makes a quality product and I am sure that although new and better tech will land soon this EVO will last me until my next upgrade.

And to not forget the GREEDY comment, I am not one to say I am owed anything nor do I care what the companies decide is appropriate as long as I feel appreciated as a customer. With the way HTC/Sprint has handled the situation I do not feel appreciated or respected as a customer and I would like a show of good faith from them in some form to show me that I am a "Valued Customer" as they say.

This is the problem, you're here inciting a riot and I don't think you completely understand the situation. And you've drawn conclusions about who is at fault, whether or not they "respect you" and what they owe you.

1) These companies have tens of thousands of patents. It's impossible to avoid being accused of infringing a patent if someone has good motive to do so. And if you look at how this went down, as is normally the case, this was just the one piece thrown against the wall that stuck. It's not smartphone-enabling technology that was so terrific that I copied it because I couldn't do without it, it's whatever I can do to slow you down. That's how the game is played.
2) Quite frequently, the thing that I have invented has nothing to do with your product, but I can make a very good case that it covers your product based on how the claims are worded. I don't really even have to prove that what I actually invented covers your product, I just have to make the words in the claim fit it in some way. And if my lawyers are better than yours, or just better on the day of the hearing, or the judge or panel just doesn't completely understand the technology, you're screwed.
3) The USPTO has absolutely no idea what they're doing with regard to awarding software patents and the majority of them should never have been issued in the first place.
4) This is a Customs action, not a court action, and HTC believes they have removed the infringing functionality. Because of the ITC ruling, Customs is checking the product. What would you have them do? Never ship a product to the US again? Sneak them in? Demand that Customs works faster? Not only have they paid to develop the product, they've paid to manufacture the product, and they've paid to ship the product. And now all of that investment is sitting in containers at the port. Do you not think they want you to have the phone? No, all you care about is your toy is delayed, and you want them to pay out the nose to you as well.

Rather than always looking for someone who owes you, or someone to blame, the customer could understand that neither company was anticipating they would have this issue and be understanding about it.

There are people who wake up in the morning wondering where their next meal is coming from, but here we whine because our $200 toy isn't coming exactly when we want it.

Last edited:

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? Why should either company offer a good will gesture? So what you pre ordered. It's not as if the money has been taken from you and you have the option of canceling.

How much more info do you want HTC/Sprint to share other than shipments are being held in customs? Do you honestly believe custom delays don't happen on a daily? It's not as if pre orders are being held while the rest are magically sitting on store shelves.

And for the times many of you have received your pre orders earlier than expected did you think the company should have also done something by way of good will?

Tappin' from my SGP 5.0

Reactions: Ry

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
(htc / sprints )their fault is how they are handling it.

While I can see how one could blame Sprint for their lack of transparency in this matter, they should have emailed us earlier than on the 17th to let us know that the launch was delayed. Would people still have been in an uproar? Probably, but I think less people would be angry at them.

Given what was posted on InsideSprintNow (emphasis added):
Word is that there was supposed to be a promised/scheduled inspection by those wonderful customs folks today (after 3+ weeks of them dragging their heels)..
The ITC has had time to inspect the phone for over three weeks. Three weeks! I think many of us assumed that when HTC said in their press release that the One X and 4G LTE were being held by customs on Tuesday, it was a recent development, like maybe the phones have only been in customs for a day or two.

But no, they've been sitting in customs for over three weeks. HTC has been waiting for an inspection that would, at most, take about five minutes, for over three weeks. If the phones only arrived late last week or early this week, then yes, we can blame HTC for being naive on thinking they can get the inspection done and keep the May 18th launch date. However, with the phones having been here for over three weeks, we can now safely place much of the blame on customs/ITC, for being a stupid government bureaucracy that takes weeks to do something that can be done in minutes.

Reactions: learntall

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with this. This is no fault with HTC or Sprint and expecting something for an event out of control is typical of people looking to get something for nothing. If you don't like the delay - cancel your order, get your $200 back and wait until the phone is in stock online or in a store and re-order then. If you want to be the first to get the latest and greatest you will still be the first - it will just take a little longer.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Those systems are also more automated than you wouldn't believe. They are designed to provide predesigned messages and the person on the other end has no control over that. Its just like the script the phone reps need to follow. They have to follow their procedures. I'm not saying they are helpful in every situation but when they are on their 31st consecutive complaint about the same thing and the system sends the automatic message reminding the customer they can pre order the new Evo 4G LTE and they have to improvise when the customer has already ordered the phone, some consideration would go a long way. In response to whether I'm one of THOSE. I definitely am one of those that sees someone talking down about another person and points out that they should do a better job of ensuring they don't sound like what they are calling someone else.

Sent from my antique Evo 3D which can now be found at the Smithsonian

If we don't complain about these "policy" problems, they will never get changed. I don't think anyone here is talking about the actual rep. We are taking about the corporation that trains and I allows this to go on.

For example, I was told through chat that my phone would ship on Wednesday, the morning after all the ITC problems went down. I have the chat log if anyone wants proof.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
If we don't complain about these "policy" problems, they will never get changed. I don't think anyone here is talking about the actual rep. We are taking about the corporation that trains and I allows this to go on.

For example, I was told through chat that my phone would ship on Wednesday, the morning after all the ITC problems went down. I have the chat log if anyone wants proof.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

There is no policy problem. There is people having to answer thousands of different questions about the same thing and not being able to satisfy those who feel they have the RIGHT to belittle them because they are following the guidelines set forth in front of them. The only thing that would satisfy the angry mob is the phone in their hand. The time for calling customer service has passed unless you want to cancel your order. The phone will ship when it ships. Either learn to accept that or find a different phone that will suit your needs.

Sent from my antique Evo 3D that can now be found at the Smithsonian

learntall

May 19, 2011
Visit site
This is the problem, you're here inciting a riot and I don't think you completely understand the situation. And you've drawn conclusions about who is at fault, whether or not they "respect you" and what they owe you.

1) These companies have tens of thousands of patents. It's impossible to avoid being accused of infringing a patent if someone has good motive to do so. And if you look at how this went down, as is normally the case, this was just the one piece thrown against the wall that stuck. It's not smartphone-enabling technology that was so terrific that I copied it because I couldn't do without it, it's whatever I can do to slow you down. That's how the game is played.
2) Quite frequently, the thing that I have invented has nothing to do with your product, but I can make a very good case that it covers your product based on how the claims are worded. I don't really even have to prove that what I actually invented covers your product, I just have to make the words in the claim fit it in some way. And if my lawyers are better than yours, or just better on the day of the hearing, or the judge or panel just doesn't completely understand the technology, you're screwed.
3) The USPTO has absolutely no idea what they're doing with regard to awarding software patents and the majority of them should never have been issued in the first place.
4) This is a Customs action, not a court action, and HTC believes they have removed the infringing functionality. Because of the ITC ruling, Customs is checking the product. What would you have them do? Never ship a product to the US again? Sneak them in? Demand that Customs works faster? Not only have they paid to develop the product, they've paid to manufacture the product, and they've paid to ship the product. And now all of that investment is sitting in containers at the port. Do you not think they want you to have the phone? No, all you care about is your toy is delayed, and you want them to pay out the nose to you as well.

Rather than always looking for someone who owes you, or someone to blame, the customer could understand that neither company was anticipating they would have this issue and be understanding about it.

There are people who wake up in the morning wondering where their next meal is coming from, but here we whine because our $200 toy isn't coming exactly when we want it.

You obviously didn't read back to my previous posts at all, if your going to draw conclusions on one post and take it completely out of context you could have at least read through the thread a little better. I would do your homework a lil better before assuming what I'm saying.

ScottColbert

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This whole, we deserve something mentality for the bumps in life's road really is out of hand. We're talking about a luxury item and people want compensation? Ridiculous.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It's discouraging to see how many people feel that they are entitled to compensation because something didn't quite happen they way they expected.

Face it people, it's not a perfect world we live in. We get disappointed by others, and we in turn disappoint others. The fact that a phone isn't available when the vendors/carriers thought it would be, isn't justification to feel that Sprint tor HTC owes the consumer some sort of "good will".

David...

irishman06

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Nobody's owed anything. You got an expected delivery date on pre-order. And it said exactly that, for exactly this reason. It's an expected date. Not a firm delivery day. If the UPS truck carrying all these phones had caught fire, or the ship transporting them from overseas had sank, would you guys still be complaining? Probably not. So calm down.

I wanted to pre-order this phone, but ended up switching to AT&T and buying a One X last Saturday. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, and its great to be off Sprint's network -- didn't realize what I've been missing.

irishman06

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
But some are just idiots just look at this conversation I had with one last night
And no it wasn't about My toy lol

she tells me I pre ordered it She saw i was aware of the customs problem and gives me my order number but wants to inform me I can pre order the EVO LTE for may 18.

There's just no excuse some of these guys are just plain idiots

Sent from my HTC .....oh wait its stuck at customs

You spoke with an automated system. So the question is, which one of you came closer to passing a Turing test?

irishman06

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I will lay off, once Sprint works on retraining these csr so they really know what's going on. I grow tired of getting different answers from every csr on the same related questions. Give me a break, if you're selling a product. You should all get the same information and beware of what your company is offering regarding sales and upgrades.;)

sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk 2

Have you called and spoken to multiple CSRs to try and get them to give you different answers? Something about this seems off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hebdo_Madaires