Should I claim insurance on my cracked Galaxy S7 Edge

A

AC Question

So recently the unthinkable happened and I cracked the screen to my brand new Galaxy S7 Edge. The crack criss crosses the entire screen in a beautiful spiderweb fashion. I have asurion however after going through the claim process I'm at the point where I have to pay a $200 deductible to complete the claim. The phone works perfectly fine, and Samsung charges $270 for a screen repair. What should I do here?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My only concern would be if the cracks were to eventually spread, which could cause further damage to the phone and may then lead to hardware complications.

Hopefully someone more well versed in insurance matters, etc can comment soon to help you out; as I'm not too skilled at that. Would you be paying the claim and also the price to Samsung for fixing the screen? If so, if you like the phone a lot and want to keep it for a long time, maybe that is the right course of action. Or could you get a replacement phone instead?

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So recently the unthinkable happened and I cracked the screen to my brand new Galaxy S7 Edge. The crack criss crosses the entire screen in a beautiful spiderweb fashion. I have asurion however after going through the claim process I'm at the point where I have to pay a $200 deductible to complete the claim. The phone works perfectly fine, and Samsung charges $270 for a screen repair. What should I do here?
Well.. If you want to keep your original phone and not get what is likely a returned phone, pay the $70 extra and send it to Samsung. Of there is a walk in center near you, it can be replaced on the spot.

An insurance claim you aren't without a phone but you will get a phone that has been returned, even a phone this new, so it's a chance.

Tman3555

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Yeah that's true, I'm the one who made the post, just forgot to sign in before posting. I did call the insurance and they said they can request it to be new, especially since this is such a new model. The insurance is good for if your phone goes completely dead, or lost, but for a cracked screen it totally isn't worth it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's true, I'm the one who made the post, just forgot to sign in before posting. I did call the insurance and they said they can request it to be new, especially since this is such a new model. The insurance is good for if your phone goes completely dead, or lost, but for a cracked screen it totally isn't worth it.
If they could guarantee a New in the Box, I would do insurance. But if not, personally the $70 extra is worth it to me.

Are you near a walk on location by chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones