Should I get a protective case?

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I barely ever drop my phone and I'm confident in the gorilla glass but the salesperson at the VZW store recommended a case even though it has a kevlar back. Is a case recommended or was the salesperson just trying to siphon more money?

rdearth53

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I've always used a case on my phones even though I'm careful. Despite the superb build quality of the RAZR, a drop in the right spot could easily crack the screen. Gorilla Glass is designed to be more scratch resistant than it is shatter resistant. As always, though, the decision is up to you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I barely ever drop my phone and I'm confident in the gorilla glass but the salesperson at the VZW store recommended a case even though it has a kevlar back. Is a case recommended or was the salesperson just trying to siphon more money?

Gorilla can be scratched and can shatter. For the amount of money you are putting out for the phone, I'd pay a little more for the protection.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

roscko

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I went with Verizon's insurance plan (probably sticking with it for a year then dropping it) and going nekkid with the phone. I'm really good with handling expensive electronics so am willing to risk going without a case. I love it cause there's no added bulk from a case (as low profile as they can be) and it looks so dam sexy nekkid =D

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I went with Verizon's insurance plan (probably sticking with it for a year then dropping it) and going nekkid with the phone. I'm really good with handling expensive electronics so am willing to risk going without a case. I love it cause there's no added bulk from a case (as low profile as they can be) and it looks so dam sexy nekkid =D

I have had my smartphones for one and a half years, both samsung gorilla glass models, and I am not all that careful. I still am waiting for a scratch. Keep it away from keys, sand, and anything else abrasive and you can go far. As usual, ymmv.

I even threw my fassy once. Scratched the case but not a blemish to the.glass.

Charged up post!

anon(37023)

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
While a case is certainly not necessary on such a well built, durable device I have an Otterbox Commuter on mine. I am a clumsy fool with my phones (Murphy's law) so I see it as better safe than sorry.

posted using Tapatalk

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think people are giving too much credit to gorilla glass, and especially to the kevlar back.
Gorilla glass can shatter, but what some RAZR owners are seeing is the screen under the gorilla glass is cracking and shattering. And the kevlar is not as protective as you would think, it multiple layers it is, but with the thin sheet on this phone it won't absorb any shocks and drops that could damage the internals.

I prolly wouldn't get a case if all I was worried about was scratches, because they're no big deal really and the gorilla glass should do a decent enough job protecting the screen. But if you're worried about dropping the phone, then you should get a case that does a decent job of absorbing some shock. If anything to make sure the screen under the GGlass doesn't crack or spider-web.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a screen protector on mine as "a just in case" measure and have the Verizon Glossy silicone bumper cover on it as well. It's a smokey black and looks great on the phone. It fits perfectly, adds virtually no weight and gives me a better surface to grip with my hand. The Maxx may be thicker than the regular Razr but, comparatively, it still pretty slim and it is very wide so I like having those thicker edges to hold on to. I've always used some kind of shell or bumper cover on my phones to try to decrease damage to their edges if they hit a hard surface in a fall.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have the Glossy soft one as well, really like the added grip. Its really up to you, one the one hand, you bought the thinnest device on sale currently just to make it bigger? In the other hand, both the Razr and the Maxx are so thin, and the newer cases are so light, what's another mm or 2 to protect what is a quite expensive device.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I skipped getting a case. I don't really drop my phone, though. I think the RAZR could take a fall or two, but hopefully I'll never have to find out.

cscharf16

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I dropped mine off of a counter, 3 feet from wood floor, Glass cracked badly and display went out. Had to get a new phone. Get an Otter Box. Phone is not that tough!

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I got Maxx protection (pun intended) and went with an Otterbox Defender. Yes, it adds bulk to what is supposed to be a slim phone, but where I work I need something to be absolutely rugged. The design features of the Razr series along with the Otterbox Defender assures me that I don't have to worry about it. I had a Defender on my Storm 2 for a couple years and it preserved it very well. The belt clip for the Maxx doubles as a kickstand. I also like the added bulk- makes it fit in my hand better (I've got big hands) and I don't feel like it's so thin and wide that I'm going to drop it. The naked phone always felt that way to me. :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nusaka