Should I return?

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Not giving much , 50.00 off
I was hoping for $200 off, like prior years, but that was obviously unrealistic given the already aggressive price point. $150 or even $100 would have been nice. $50 seems like nothing. At least they're not going to upset the loyal early adopters like they've done in prior years.

Yeah mustang dude, I completely agree. I mean example Verizon's having the promotion of 350 bucks off the phone while Google is only giving you 50 bucks off the phone. Wowzers!
This isn't really apples to apples comparison. They generally get their money back by locking in combinations of extended device credits on your data plan over 12/24 months, signing up or adding a line on higher priced plans, requiring a trade-in on your existing "eligible" phone, etc. If you're tied into and happy with your carrier, this works, but I do believe that most people can save in the long run by taking their unlocked phone to a cheaper provider. For example Visible runs on Verizon towers (I know there are some coverage gaps) and has a $40 unlimited plan. VZ's plans that are required to receive the $700 discount are $70 a month. That's $720 difference over 2 years. Some of my assumptions may be off a bit since I'm going from memory, and many situations (e.g. family plan) will affect the difference, but the advertised discount does not pass through to the consumer. I know there are many that will benefit some, but most will benefit more in the long run by paying more upfront and shopping for an economic plan.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping for $200 off, like prior years, but that was obviously unrealistic given the already aggressive price point. $150 or even $100 would have been nice. $50 seems like nothing. At least they're not going to upset the loyal early adopters like they've done in prior years.

This isn't really apples to apples comparison. They generally get their money back by locking in combinations of extended device credits on your data plan over 12/24 months, signing up or adding a line on higher priced plans, requiring a trade-in on your existing "eligible" phone, etc. If you're tied into and happy with your carrier, this works, but I do believe that most people can save in the long run by taking their unlocked phone to a cheaper provider. For example Visible runs on Verizon towers (I know there are some coverage gaps) and has a $40 unlimited plan. VZ's plans that are required to receive the $700 discount are $70 a month. That's $720 difference over 2 years. Some of my assumptions may be off a bit since I'm going from memory, and many situations (e.g. family plan) will affect the difference, but the advertised discount does not pass through to the consumer. I know there are many that will benefit some, but most will benefit more in the long run by paying more upfront and shopping for an economic plan.
Oh yeah I'm sure that Verizon gets the money back from the phone by the pricing plan that you are on. However if I'm at the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me as much, because I still got a great deal on the phone, and it lowered my monthly bill significantly. So all in all I'm happy!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Good point, I didn't think of the cheaper price they already start at , but definitely 100 off would of been nice .

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Good point, I didn't think of the cheaper price they already start at , but definitely 100 off would of been nice .

Yeah, I expected at least $100. Will still buy it since I'm tired of having to top off my P3XL every night, as you already know. Planning to trade-in or resell the P3XL, and I'm figuring its value will plummet quickly. I'd end up getting a better deal on the P5, but lose on the net price.

I believe Google store updates their trade-ins on the first of the month. Seem to remember it being $168 when I looked at P5 launch date, now it's $143.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I expected at least $100. Will still buy it since I'm tired of having to top off my P3XL every night, as you already know. Planning to trade-in or resell the P3XL, and I'm figuring its value will plummet quickly. I'd end up getting a better deal on the P5, but lose on the net price.

I believe Google store updates their trade-ins on the first of the month. Seem to remember it being $168 when I looked at P5 launch date, now it's $143.
I'm the same exact way... Even before I made the deal with the Verizon and agree to the promotion, I was thinking about doing so because I'm sick of having to keep my Pixel 3 XL on the charger constantly. it's not that the phone lags or isn't smooth. It's not it's smooth as hell... The battery just does not last and when I take a lot of pictures at once, the battery just gets smoked. Unfortunately.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm the same exact way... Even before I made the deal with the Verizon and agree to the promotion, I was thinking about doing so because I'm sick of having to keep my Pixel 3 XL on the charger constantly. it's not that the phone lags or isn't smooth. It's not it's smooth as hell... The battery just does not last and when I take a lot of pictures at once, the battery just gets smoked. Unfortunately.

Agreed. It's a great phone except for the battery. I skipped on the P4 line because they did nothing to improve the battery and there was nothing else compelling. Soli and face unlock meant nothing to me. So glad they brought back FPS and turbo charged the battery. I'm only leary of the in-display speaker, but Mustang promised me that it won't be a deal breaker. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej