Should I stay or should I go?

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I would tell the OP is to check out all the providers for your area. Gauge what you can get from T-mobile & AT&T.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
The only thing I would tell the OP is to check out all the providers for your area. Gauge what you can get from T-mobile & AT&T.

Thank you maj71303.

I was in an AT&T store today. The guy I spoke to was very cool. As a matter of fact, I would have done business with him provided they would have been able to come close to T-Mobile's plan. He went to the extent of telling me that AT&T isn't much different in Verizon by way of plans (as far as I am concerned).

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you maj71303.

I was in an AT&T store today. The guy I spoke to was very cool. As a matter of fact, I would have done business with him provided they would have been able to come close to T-Mobile's plan. He went to the extent of telling me that AT&T isn't much different in Verizon by way of plans (as far as I am concerned).

Yep I have been on all the big 4 providers and if it wasn't for coverage I would be on T-mobile. If you travel anywhere other than major metro's suburban areas then I would think twice about T-mobile for right now. I bypassed T-mobile just because they can't provide any coverage where I'm at or even between places I go. Choose wisely is all I will tell you for all that T-mobile does and I wish the other 3 did as well, coverage is always the deciding factor. I went to At&t myself because they do have some good plans and is not as expensive as Verizon. Plus there coverage rivals Verizon and I want to be on a gsm provider and not one that falls back on CDMA.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Yep I have been on all the big 4 providers and if it wasn't for coverage I would be on T-mobile. If you travel anywhere other than major metro's suburban areas then I would think twice about T-mobile for right now. I bypassed T-mobile just because they can't provide any coverage where I'm at or even between places I go. Choose wisely is all I will tell you for all that T-mobile does and I wish the other 3 did as well, coverage is always the deciding factor. I went to At&t myself because they do have some good plans and is not as expensive as Verizon. Plus there coverage rivals Verizon and I want to be on a gsm provider and not one that falls back on CDMA.

Out of curiosity, what state do you live in? I'm in Orlando, FL area.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Ahhhh... Very good to know. I played baseball at the University of New Orleans. I was a Sprint customer back then. It was very poor.

Posted via the Android Central App

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Louisiana

Most of my travel is throughout Florida, Georgia and the Caribbean. Outside of that I find myself in New York (no T-Mobile coverage in Jamestown), Murphy, N.C. (no T-Mobile coverage) and Tennessee (spotty T-Mobile coverage) when I am not working.

My wife is strongly against moving everything to T-Mobile because she is comfortable there.

I want to move for a variety of reasons:

- Lower prices
- More data
- Fully functioning LG G4 (All features)
- No contract but I won't be moving into a contract ever again
- Unlimited, free streaming music
- Supporting the underdog
- Seemingly nicer people
- Seemingly improving at a faster rate than others

If I don't go I feel like I am getting screwed (countering everyone of the above).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much people are with Verizon for the network. If you don't need Verizon's network then tmobile would be my choice for having the most customer friendly policies

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Pretty much people are with Verizon for the network. If you don't need Verizon's network then tmobile would be my choice for having the most customer friendly policies
That's the reason why I'm with Vzw. I work on First Hill (a.k.a. "Pill Hill") in Seattle and while most of the people I work with have an assortment of mobile devices and carriers from the BIG 3, I notice that those with AT&T (employees get up to 18% discount with AT&T and T-Mobile) sometimes experience drops and connection issues more often than those not on that carrier. Personally I've never experienced signal or connection problems with VzW at and around and underground at my workplace. We do have W-FI, but some locations throughout the facilities may not be reliable, but the VzW Signal/Data does come through though. Then again, that's from observation and experience with my VzW SGN.IV.

Enjoy! :cool:[SUB]​[/SUB]

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Most of my travel is throughout Florida, Georgia and the Caribbean. Outside of that I find myself in New York (no T-Mobile coverage in Jamestown), Murphy, N.C. (no T-Mobile coverage) and Tennessee (spotty T-Mobile coverage) when I am not working.

My wife is strongly against moving everything to T-Mobile because she is comfortable there.

I want to move for a variety of reasons:

- Lower prices
- More data
- Fully functioning LG G4 (All features)
- No contract but I won't be moving into a contract ever again
- Unlimited, free streaming music
- Supporting the underdog
- Seemingly nicer people
- Seemingly improving at a faster rate than others

If I don't go I feel like I am getting screwed (countering everyone of the above).

When you say fully functioning... What exactly do you mean? The h815 has many perks that the Verizon version doesn't have. However there is a very very major downside for me - no 5ghz hotspot. As someone who uses their unlimited hotspot a lot and also in dense wifi areas(2.4 ghz hotspot will have interference and stuttering on video streaming) , having 5ghz hotspot means more to me than all the Verizon minuses on the g4:

-Verizon is missing smart settings
-Verizon is missing change profile option (guest account).
-Verizon has a printed screen protector installed (International has a clear one, which can be used as a cheap screen protector.
-Verizon version cannot change themes.
-Verizon version is missing smart world, though it an be side loaded.
-Verizon version cannot add fonts, though you can do it if you side load smart world.
-Verizon version doesn't have fm radio.
-Verizon has the Verizon logo stamped into the black leather.
-The Verizon one retains the adjustments to auto brightness (something that my Galaxy devices lacked)
-The sim slot on the International one has a recess at the top, which makes it easier to remove.
-Verizon one didn't have the 100gb Google Drive credit
-Verizon has 2.4/5ghz hotspot. International unlocked (h815) only has 2.4 ghz

With regards to coverage.... You are obviously giving up some coverage. How important is cell signal where you say tmobile has no service? And how often do you go there?

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
That's the reason why I'm with Vzw. I work on First Hill (a.k.a. "Pill Hill") in Seattle and while most of the people I work with have an assortment of mobile devices and carriers from the BIG 3, I notice that those with AT&T (employees get up to 18% discount with AT&T and T-Mobile) sometimes experience drops and connection issues more often than those not on that carrier. Personally I've never experienced signal or connection problems with VzW at and around and underground at my workplace. We do have W-FI, but some locations throughout the facilities may not be reliable, but the VzW Signal/Data does come through though. Then again, that's from observation and experience with my VzW SGN.IV.

Enjoy! :cool:[SUB]​[/SUB]

And this is exactly why I am very leery of giving T-Mobile a shot. I feel like I am doing a disservice to myself if I don't, at least, give it a shot. When I read over on the T-Mobile forum it seems like there are improvements in coverage/service on a daily basis.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
When you say fully functioning... What exactly do you mean? The h815 has many perks that the Verizon version doesn't have. However there is a very very major downside for me - no 5ghz hotspot. As someone who uses their unlimited hotspot a lot and also in dense wifi areas(2.4 ghz hotspot will have interference and stuttering on video streaming) , having 5ghz hotspot means more to me than all the Verizon minuses on the g4:

-Verizon has a printed screen protector installed (International has a clear one, which can be used as a cheap screen protector.
-Verizon version cannot add fonts, though you can do it if you side load smart world.
-The Verizon one retains the adjustments to auto brightness (something that my Galaxy devices lacked)
-The sim slot on the International one has a recess at the top, which makes it easier to remove.

With regards to coverage.... You are obviously giving up some coverage. How important is cell signal where you say tmobile has no service? And how often do you go there?

When I say "fully functioning" I mean exactly the list that you posted.

Coverage in those places I mentioned are only moderately important. Usually when we are there I am not in need of discussing work-related "stuff". Then again, don't we all feel uncomfortable when we don't have service? Quite frankly, I think we ALL should have service wherever we are in the U.S.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

How do I sideload Smart World?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been a Verizon customer for thirteen years and I am very surprised that they have nothing to offer me as far as an early upgrade. The only thing they can do is offer me a $200 credit towards a new phone at the retail price. If I go that route they have explained that I would just ride out the rest of my contract. Following that I would be put on a month-to-month basis which will, according to Verizon Customer Service, actually drop my bill almost $25 per month.
Call them and ask to speak to the retentions department and explain to them that after being a customer for 13 years, you expect better treatment. (Retention can almost "give the store away" to keep you as a customer - maybe a refurb G2 for free.)

Or... I could leave Verizon altogether and move to T-Mobile
Test drive T-Mobile if you're thinking of switching. Match coverage. That's the first thing to do in choosing a carrier.

As far as the phones, if someone gave me an S6 for free, I'd list it on Swappa as a new phone and I wouldn't even open the box. No removable battery and no external SD card means "not my phone". The G4? Maybe. It's a nice phone.

Their plans are much more aggressive and the prices are lower.
Verizon's retention department has the power to match anyone else's plan, if you get someone on a good day.

Or... I could move to any other carrier (except Sprint).
The only other major one is AT&T. And again, check coverage for coverage. (And both AT&T and Verizon Samsungs have locked bootloaders, if that matters to you. [No custom recovery, no custom ROMs that aren't just slight modifications of the stock ROM.])

So... If you were me what would you do?
Call retentions. If I didn't get anywhere, I'd call a few hours later and hope I got someone else. I'd try at least a few times. 13 years? They consider 5 years a loyal customer.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Call them and ask to speak to the retentions department and explain to them that after being a customer for 13 years, you expect better treatment. (Retention can almost "give the store away" to keep you as a customer - maybe a refurb G2 for free.)

Test drive T-Mobile if you're thinking of switching. Match coverage. That's the first thing to do in choosing a carrier.

As far as the phones, if someone gave me an S6 for free, I'd list it on Swappa as a new phone and I wouldn't even open the box. No removable battery and no external SD card means "not my phone". The G4? Maybe. It's a nice phone.

Verizon's retention department has the power to match anyone else's plan, if you get someone on a good day.

The only other major one is AT&T. And again, check coverage for coverage. (And both AT&T and Verizon Samsungs have locked bootloaders, if that matters to you. [No custom recovery, no custom ROMs that aren't just slight modifications of the stock ROM.])

Call retentions. If I didn't get anywhere, I'd call a few hours later and hope I got someone else. I'd try at least a few times. 13 years? They consider 5 years a loyal customer.

Rukbat,

Thank you for the advice. I have cooled down a bit today. I was going to call Verizon and have another go at them (not in a harsh way). I figured it was worth one last shot. If I don't get anywhere I plan to speak to the T-Mobile people mid-day.

Actually, I will do just what you said. I will call and call again (if needed).

Again, thank you A LOT for your insight!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When I say "fully functioning" I mean exactly the list that you posted.

Coverage in those places I mentioned are only moderately important. Usually when we are there I am not in need of discussing work-related "stuff". Then again, don't we all feel uncomfortable when we don't have service? Quite frankly, I think we ALL should have service wherever we are in the U.S.

But that's the problem. The h815 doesn't have 5 ghz hotspot so it is crippled in that sense. The Verizon one has the 5ghz but not the other things... Neither contain all the features.

jpkerr1

May 6, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on if you get network coverage that's acceptable as far as staying with Verizon. I seriously thought about going with T-Mo but some of their coverage in areas I travel to for work is spotty. Further, their building penetration is not the best so you may get dead spots is some structures.

You probably can't early Edge either if you're that far from end of contract.
Here's a thought - if Verizon will do it.:
1.) Add an additional line- tell them you need it for work if they ask.
2.) You should get an option to get a new phone with it.
3.) Go Edge instead of the on contact/discount route.
4.) Get you your G4 or S6
5.) On Edge, your Edge monthly payment gets applied to your 40.00 'Line Charge', so if your new phone costs-say thirty dollars a month, your line charge on that 2nd line drops to ten bucks.
6.) Change your plan if needed to allow sharing your data to two devices.
7.) Forward all your calls on your original line to your new line and turn your old phone off.
This should get you your new phone for about ten bucks extra plus any additional taxes and the cost of HANDSET PROTECTION. Take advantage of that to prevent your current issue.
You may be able to just deactivate your original line at end of contract as well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fyi manufacturers defects beyond the first year should be covered by the extended warranty which is $3/mo and no deductible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d