Should I stay or should I go?

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on if you get network coverage that's acceptable as far as staying with Verizon. I seriously thought about going with T-Mo but some of their coverage in areas I travel to for work is spotty. Further, their building penetration is not the best so you may get dead spots is some structures.

You probably can't early Edge either if you're that far from end of contract.
Here's a thought - if Verizon will do it.:
1.) Add an additional line- tell them you need it for work if they ask.
2.) You should get an option to get a new phone with it.
3.) Go Edge instead of the on contact/discount route.
4.) Get you your G4 or S6
5.) On Edge, your Edge monthly payment gets applied to your 40.00 'Line Charge', so if your new phone costs-say thirty dollars a month, your line charge on that 2nd line drops to ten bucks.
6.) Change your plan if needed to allow sharing your data to two devices.
7.) Forward all your calls on your original line to your new line and turn your old phone off.
This should get you your new phone for about ten bucks extra plus any additional taxes and the cost of HANDSET PROTECTION. Take advantage of that to prevent your current issue.
You may be able to just deactivate your original line at end of contract as well.

Number 5 is completely incorrect. The $40 line charge is reduced by either $25 or $15 depending on the size of your data plan ($25 in OPs case). Then you pay the monthly installments of the phone you buy on Edge.

Posted via the Android Central App

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
It all depends on if you get network coverage that's acceptable as far as staying with Verizon. I seriously thought about going with T-Mo but some of their coverage in areas I travel to for work is spotty. Further, their building penetration is not the best so you may get dead spots is some structures.

You probably can't early Edge either if you're that far from end of contract.
Here's a thought - if Verizon will do it.:
1.) Add an additional line- tell them you need it for work if they ask.
2.) You should get an option to get a new phone with it.
3.) Go Edge instead of the on contact/discount route.
4.) Get you your G4 or S6
5.) On Edge, your Edge monthly payment gets applied to your 40.00 'Line Charge', so if your new phone costs-say thirty dollars a month, your line charge on that 2nd line drops to ten bucks.
6.) Change your plan if needed to allow sharing your data to two devices.
7.) Forward all your calls on your original line to your new line and turn your old phone off.
This should get you your new phone for about ten bucks extra plus any additional taxes and the cost of HANDSET PROTECTION. Take advantage of that to prevent your current issue.
You may be able to just deactivate your original line at end of contract as well.

Thank you for taking the time to interject your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

I decided to relax and spend all day with the family. I plan on speaking to Verizon in a little bit here. Actually, today will probably be D-DAY.

No matter what I do from here, I do not want another contract. Never ever again! With that said, if I do not go to T-Mobile I will probably just buy a G4 outright and run it until the end of the contract. Once it does I will move to month-to-month.

I hope to speak to somebody in the Customer Retention department and throw down my offer which will be very simple:

Let me purchase a phone with their $200 "loyalty credit" WITHOUT a two-year renewal. If they do that we can call it "water under the bridge". If not, I will leave Verizon after thirteen years and give T-Mobile a shot with their 10 GB per line plan for both of my numbers.

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Just got off of the phone with Verizon. Spoke to a very nice representative.

None of the previous four people have offered me entry into their EDGE program. She is willing to move me into an installment plan to pay for the phone (LG G4) at a price of 549.99. (First payment would be 23.06. The next twenty-three would bee 22.91.) I would have to pay 38.50 in taxes up front.

Opting for this would lock me into a new two-year contract which, in essence, gets me out of six months of my current contract since it runs until the beginning of January. My monthly bill will drop 25.00 per month which totals 600.00 essentially paying for the phone. They are also willing to give me a 10% credit per line for one year.

I didn't say "yes" or "no" to anything yet. I have the lady calling me back tonight so my wife can be in the room to discuss with me. Now, my wife has been anti-switch (mentioned above). After laying out the T-Mobile plan she has softened to the idea.

Two Lines @ 50.00 each. (10 GB per line vs. my 10 GB for both lines.)
Two LG G4s @ 479.99 each.
T-Mobile paying both ETFs
Trading in my LG G2 and her LG G3 for credit towards the new G4s.
(Porting both numbers.)

What are your thoughts? Do I fight with Verizon for more? More data? Less money? Or give T-Mobile a shot. If I don't like them I could always go back to Verizon. Right? Shoot! I would probably be ahead of the game with Verizon since NEWER customers get treated better than loyal ones.

Thanks again (ahead of time)!

AgentDecoy

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
What is the advantage of them offering the payment plan WITH a 2 year contract? It seems like the worst part of EDGE (monthly payments on a full retail value phone) WITH a two-year commitment.

You are basically getting locked into a contract for a full value, non-subsidy phone...

Maybe I am missing something. :(

Last edited:

Otops

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I haven't made a decision as of yet but I think they see it as they are doing the following:

- Putting me into a new phone (which is my main issue right now with a handicapped LG G2) before the end of my contract (January 2016). This solves the initial problem.

- They are cutting my line charge from 40.00 down to 15.00 which in essences is paying for the phone. They look at it as if they are giving me the phone at no charge.

- At the same time they are discounting my other line by 10% saving additional money.

All-in-all, they are providing me with a phone at no charge due to the monthly savings. Am I seeing that correctly? Now I am confusing myself.

AgentDecoy

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I haven't made a decision as of yet but I think they see it as they are doing the following:

- Putting me into a new phone (which is my main issue right now with a handicapped LG G2) before the end of my contract (January 2016). This solves the initial problem.

- They are cutting my line charge from 40.00 down to 15.00 which in essences is paying for the phone. They look at it as if they are giving me the phone at no charge.

- At the same time they are discounting my other line by 10% saving additional money.

All-in-all, they are providing me with a phone at no charge due to the monthly savings. Am I seeing that correctly? Now I am confusing myself.

Aren't they basically just putting you on EDGE? The 10% discount is nice though---have you ran the numbers to see where your monthly bill would be versus another carrier?

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the 2 year is for the plan but for paying off the phone. For instance I joined verizon this past Dec and on EDGE. I paid my phone off and now I'm listed as month to month on my contract. So I believe unless I'm mistaken I could jump to TMO today and not have an eft.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the 2 year is for the plan but for paying off the phone. For instance I joined verizon this past Dec and on EDGE. I paid my phone off and now I'm listed as month to month on my contract. So I believe unless I'm mistaken I could jump to TMO today and not have an eft.
Assuming that your old 2 year term is already up, if you are on edge then you have no etf to pay. You will have to pay off the balance of the edge contract in a balloon payment when you cancel service

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Assuming that your old 2 year term is already up, if you are on edge then you have no etf to pay. You will have to pay off the balance of the edge contract in a balloon payment when you cancel service
No as stated I have only been a customer since Dec of 2014 and I payed off my device and I am on a month to month term. I can leave now if I want to with no eft