Should I upgrade to the 7 Pro or wait for the 8?

swampbaby

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Verizon currently has a deal where I'm eligible to trade in my current 6 Pro in for a 7 Pro and $800 off the phone and only pay $5.55 for 36 months. I'm really tempted to jump on the deal however I don't want to have Pixel envy when the 8 is announced and jealous od whatever new features it may have.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
If I had a 6 Pro I'd wait for the 8. That Verizon deal locks you in for 36 months to get the full $800 promo. If you pay it off early you pay the full price of what's remaining.

But if you think you'll be happy with the 7 Pro for 3 years then go ahead and jump on it. I just traded my S20+ for the P7P and got $800 off as well.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Technerd71

Dec 17, 2022
Visit site
Well you will be waiting most of the year of you wait for the 8 Pro and the value of your 6 Pro will be even less so it might cost you more.

I think the big question is how do you like your 6 Pro? Any issues with the modem? How does it perform?

The 7 Pro upgrades are small compared to the 6 Pro but some like the modem can make a big difference in call reception. The 7 Pro will probably feel a lot like your 6 Pro. So if you are hoping for a big change it might not be that significant.

The Tensor G2 is is a decent upgrade and is faster and adds extra features to the camera.

However if you wait for the Pixel 8 Pro there might be more significant changes.

I came from a different phone than a Pixel and I absolutely love the 7 Pro but I don't know how I would feel coming from the 6. Also is your phone paid off? I wouldn't upgrade if I were you if I owed any money.

Only you can figure out what is most important. We really have no idea yet what the 8 Pro will offer or design changes. So it is a gamble to wait or to get now. As others have said you would be locked into the current deal for 3 years. Could you live with the 7 Pro for 3 years? Next phone you could get would be Pixel 10.

Personally I would have traded in with Google during the holiday sales and bought an unlocked phone so I have the freedom to do whatever I want. Maybe I will want the 8 Pro or maybe I will wait for the 9 and as long as I have an unlocked phone paid for them I can do whatever I want. I had a horrible situation with a T mobile locked phone and even after I paid it off and met their requirements they would not unlock it. So I would avoid carrier locked phones. Maybe it is better to set aside some money each month and wait for the Pixel 8 Pro and trade in your 6 to Google and buy it outright unlocked?

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I recently made this exact change w/Verizon. Using a corporate freebie 6 Pro, then traded a different phone for $700 off (over 36mo) a 7 Pro on release day.

If you can live with the 6 for another 9+ months, I'd hope for a nice early-adopt deal and do my 3yrs with the 8.

That said, the 7 is significantly better in my experience. Camera is better, screen is better, fingerprint is better, battery life is better, radios are WAY better. I definitely had a bad experience with 6 connectivity. If you don't mind the 3yr anchor, I think you'll be happy with it.

Pro tip...the Bellroy case is worth it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is a totally legitimate concern! I feel like I went through this exact thing when the 6 came out. That's a really good deal you can get -- and remember, it'll likely be 9 months until the 8 is launched! Can you wait that long? I don't think I'd be able to LOOL!

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I traded a straight Pixel 6 for a 7 Pro, but only because I wanted the telephoto and macro capabilities of the 7Pro.

Otherwise, I probably would have stuck with the 6, if I had a pro version.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I traded a straight Pixel 6 for a 7 Pro, but only because I wanted the telephoto and macro capabilities of the 7Pro.

Otherwise, I probably would have stuck with the 6, if I had a pro version.

That is a good deal! How are you liking the 7 Pro?

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
That is a good deal! How are you liking the 7 Pro?

It is not anything I can put into words, because it is completely subjective.

The 6 always felt like a very big phone, but the 7P doesn’t, for some reason that I can’t begin to guess.

It just feels more “natural” than the 6 did. Everything works well and smoothly, I have the display set at the lower resolution and refresh rate, and the bsttrry life is fine for my usage. I only average about two hours a day, according to Digital Wellbeing, but sometimes twice that.

That’s about all I can think of.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It is not anything I can put into words, because it is completely subjective.

The 6 always felt like a very big phone, but the 7P doesn’t, for some reason that I can’t begin to guess.

It just feels more “natural” than the 6 did. Everything works well and smoothly, I have the display set at the lower resolution and refresh rate, and the bsttrry life is fine for my usage. I only average about two hours a day, according to Digital Wellbeing, but sometimes twice that.

That’s about all I can think of.

That's awesome! Sounds like a "vanilla" or "smooth as butter" situation. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800