Side Loading content on Fire?

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if its mentioned anywhere but I seem to have only heard about charging for the micro usb.

Anyone know if side loading your own movies will be possible? With the interface, not sure how that would work. Would it just show up in your movie library?

This will make or break it for me.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Gonna have to wait till some of the tech blogs get their hands on. No way to know since no one has been allowed to even touch one yet.

I'm sure you'll be able to side-load music and movies, but they may (and probably will) lock down side-loading apps. They say that you can use both the internal and cloud storage so there has to be a way for you to get the content on the device. I'm sure USB will be the preferred method.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if there's enough information on it yet to know this, but is the Fire able to access and download apps from the standard Android marketplace, or is it all completely locked down to Amazon's services?

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if there's enough information on it yet to know this, but is the Fire able to access and download apps from the standard Android marketplace, or is it all completely locked down to Amazon's services?

Pretty obvious they are going to tie you into THEIR store. Like I said in the previous post tho...there may be a chance to be able to sideload apps like there is on the regular Android phones, but I'd imagine, from Amazon that will be locked down. The tech crowd is going to have to unlock that most likely.

yuusharo

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I think it's ridiculous to assume anything one way or the other at this point. While I have total faith in the Android dev community in unlocking the potential of this baby, I don't think there's much to worry about. I don't see a reason for Amazon to lock down this device to Apple-like control. Everyone knows that the Nook Color, while an interesting e-reader, has been a banging success thanks to the fact that it's an inexpensive Android tablet that's easy to hack and modify. Amazon knows this as well.

They don't need to lock it down - the OS itself is integrated with all of Amazon's services, and those services will be front and center. They will have the best experience on the device, thus will be used the most. Besides, beneath the heart of it all is Android 2.3, and while Amazon did a fantastic job of obfuscating that truth, several press people noticed 'hints' of its Android roots.

People will find a way to side load applications, and I doubt Amazon will do much to stop them. Why bother? If they can build a loyal following of happy consumers who begin to show off this device to their friends and families, as well as showing them off in public, it will only help Amazon continue to build the Kindle brand and get more people on board with the product and its services.

Pissing off developers, who are *the* most enthusiastic fans of your product, by locking them out of their device doesn't make sense for Amazon. Besides, they're not selling this thing through any wireless carriers, so they don't have to kowtow to their rediculous demands of bootloader locking and such.

STL 314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yep you can sideload...Amazon: The Kindle Fire Will Get Rooted | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Jenkins said he didn't know whether the bootloader was locked, which is one hurdle Android hackers face when altering their devices. The company won't help hackers root the tablet, it just isn't actively trying to stop them.

The tablet has a USB port and mass storage mode, so you can also sideload Android APK program files, even without rooting it. That will be one way to get apps not available in Amazon's Appstore onto the Fire.

viewAskewser

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Developers will need to install apps on the Kindle Fire for testing before submitting them to the Amazon App Store. There will have to be a way to side load APK files using the Android SDK or Sideload Wonder Machine without having to root the device.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
What I want to know is what apps will he available for download from the Amazon app store. I mean, could we download ADW Launcher and widgetlocker and make it look like a normal tablet?

Sent from my CM7'd NookColor using Tapatalk

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Amazon will test each app for good function with the Fire and only allow certain apps to be installed on the Fire. I would assume that ADW and other lauchers would not be allowed (Amazon is selling the UI, they don't want someone to mess with it), but we will see once someone is allowed to review the device.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you'll be able to sideload. The issue will be how much room will be available by the partition. A nook color only has 1GB available for user stuff and the other 2 partitions are for the OS and b&n bought stuff. The NC also takes a 32GB card...the Fire, not. Who is going yo want their books on a cloud? The battery dies quick with wifi on...you will definitely need wifi on for cloud music

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk