Sideload Error

keerf

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

Decided to sideload the 5.0.1 OTA today. When I first tried to load it through adb, I got an error when it his "package.zip". So I deleted the ota and re-downloaded it, and id the load again. This time it went through without issue.

Just kind of curious, when something like that happens, is the system bricked? The phone seems to be running perfectly fine, just curious though if there might be any lasting effects.

(Sorry, noob question I'm sure)

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hard brick - the phone works the same with or without the battery - about the same as a brick would. No response.

Soft brick - the phone turns on, but doesn't work right. Maybe it bootloops, or only boots into recovery, or you get the soft keys flashing but no other response - but it does something.

An error in a zip file means that the update files couldn't be extracted from the zip file you downloaded (which is extremely rare on the internet and has been for a few decades). Since there were no update files, no updating was done, so basically the phone tried to unzip a file, failed and stopped whatever process was running (updating the ROM, in this case). So no, your phone isn't bricked in any way due to the unzip failure.

When you download a file there should be an MD5 or SHA (1, 256 or 512) HASH (number) listed for it near the download link. You can use an app like Checksum MD5 & SHA1 to check the hash of a downloaded file and compare it to the one listed, so you know the download is good. (If you're downloading on a PC or a Mac, there are Windows and Mac programs for that too)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp