sleep mode. how it works?

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
You wear the watch to bed. Before you doze off, you need to start the sleep mode. When you wake up, you press the stop button in sleep mode. There is an option to "block' incoming alerts, so as not to disturb you. After running through a sleep cycle you are able to view how long you were active (arm moved) and how long you were inactive (arm didn't move). Not a totally reliable indicator of the quality of your sleep.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I guess I don't really understand your question, then. Are you asking if it is a gimmick? Somewhat. Are you asking about the usability of the data it shows? As I stated, not a true indicator of quality of sleep.
And how it works at night?
Literally, how does it work? By tracking movements. Or do you mean does it work different at night vs during the day? Works the same no matter what time of day or night as long as you're sleeping.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
You wear the watch to bed. Before you doze off, you need to start the sleep mode. When you wake up, you press the stop button in sleep mode. There is an option to "block' incoming alerts, so as not to disturb you. After running through a sleep cycle you are able to view how long you were active (arm moved) and how long you were inactive (arm didn't move). Not a totally reliable indicator of the quality of your sleep.

I haven't tried the app yet, but I just looked at it and I don't have an optional blocking mode. When I start it, there is a message that blocking mode is enabled, but no option to turn it off. Is that what you see or could we have different versions? My Gear 2 is on NE5 and Gear Manager is 2.1.14052101.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My Neo is on ND8, Same as you for GM.
I get no alert when I open the app. When you hit the settings in the top right corner, what do you see? Only History and Help?

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I HATE to suggest factory reset for Gear and/or phone, but it seems like a reset has cleared up a wide variety of problems in these forums... Would it be that bad to just have the alerts blocked? Or are you like me, and refuse to settle for not having an option to change it - even if you won't exercise that option? ;)

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I HATE to suggest factory reset for Gear and/or phone, but it seems like a reset has cleared up a wide variety of problems in these forums... Would it be that bad to just have the alerts blocked? Or are you like me, and refuse to settle for not having an option to change it - even if you won't exercise that option? ;)

I didn't look at the Sleep app when I was on ND8, but I did reset the Gear 2 prior to installing NE5 a couple days ago. I'm okay with it defaulting to blocking mode. I'm retired and don't want to be woken up for any notifications, least of all from my watch. Just sleeping with a watch on might be more than I want to put up with. :p