Slow S5e?

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I use LibreOffice on my desktop and Collabora on my tablet and phone. I also use Calibre on my desktop and Calibre Companion on both phone and tablet.

When I use Calibre Companion on my phone (S21 Ultra) and I tell it to download a book, it is done in, like, seconds. With the tablet, same book, it takes much longer. At least 30 seconds and once it was nearly a minute.

With Collabora (a document viewing/editing program) I move the document to my tablet and open it. The app opens all documents as view/read only then you have to tap an icon to open for editing. With read only, the document can take a while to finish rendering. There will be white blanks in random places. If I wait a bit, I can scroll up or down and the text appears. But if I go into edit mode, it just will not load the rest of the document. Huge swaths of blank pages. I can select text on the page (although I cannot see it). I can scroll through the pages, but there's nothing there. I left it alone for 6hrs and it never rendered.

I submitted a bug report on their forum. The next day, remembered I had the app on my cell phone. Moved the same document to my phone, opened it with the app, and boom, there it was. Switched to edit, and again, immediately the entire document is viewable.

I just spent a lot of time going through apps and removing any I wasn't using or hadn't used in a while. Restarted the tablet several times during the process. And it still isn't working. About a dozen or less pages in, nothing.

This is not a document it is reading remotely. It is on the tablet. It is a huge document (146K words) but why would it load so slow or not at all on my tablet vs my phone?

Could it be due to the 4GB of RAM on the tablet vs the 12 on the phone? But with the document open and trying to load, my tablet is using just 1.2GB of memory.

Sm-T720 Galaxy Tab S5e
32.3 used of 64 internal
16 used of 120 external
One UI 3.1
Android 11

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Not sure why it won't fully load on the tablet but the loading speed is obvious due to the huge difference in specs. It's probably not even related to the RAM or SOC but the storage itself. The Tab S5e uses eMMC 5.1 storage and the S21 Ultra UFS 3.1.

eMMC 5.1 has a max read speed of 250mbps and write speed of 125mbps vs the UFS 3.1 2100mbps read and 1200mbps write. The storage on your phone is nearly 10 times faster when it comes to loading files.

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I was afraid of that. I really want to use the tablet as a laptop alternative away from the desk with the main task being writing and editing. But if the dang document won't load, makes the whole thing useless.

Anyone know of a tablet with better specs that I can use this way? Looked at cheap Chromebook 2-in-1s but unsure if cheap means same thing I have now.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513