Question Slow wi-fi on Poco M5

BaGRaM94

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Wi-fi connection is very slow on POCO M5. Normally network gives about 40 Mb/s on other devices. In case of Poco it gives only 2-3 mb/s. When I turn flight mode ON it shows 40 mb/s and I can download files with normal speed. But once I turn flight mode OFF – connection becomes 2-3 mb/s. All other devices behave normally with this network. What might be the reason, and what can be the sollution for this problem? Already tried resetting network settings, force restart and factory reset.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I deleted the same question you posted in General Help. It's best not to post the same thing in multiple forums, to avoid parallel discussions.

I'm not familiar with Poco's settings, but look through the system settings to see if there's anything that forces the phone to prefer cellular data over wi-fi. It's also worth checking the Developer Options, although if you never activated them before, I don't see why a setting like that would be on by default.

BaGRaM94

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
FYI, I deleted the same question you posted in General Help. It's best not to post the same thing in multiple forums, to avoid parallel discussions.

I'm not familiar with Poco's settings, but look through the system settings to see if there's anything that forces the phone to prefer cellular data over wi-fi. It's also worth checking the Developer Options, although if you never activated them before, I don't see why a setting like that would be on by default.
Thanks, for the reply.

It doesn't switch to cellular mode. In fact there is no SIM inside. Wi-fi is on, and connection is showed as strong. But speedtest shows only 3 mb/s instead of 40.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, so there's no e-SIM either? It's not connected to any wireless provider? It might be some quirk of the firmware.

If you have no SIM, then there shouldn't be any need to turn off Airplane Mode. You can always turn wi-fi and Bluetooth on in Airplane Mode.

BaGRaM94

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Oh, so there's no e-SIM either? It's not connected to any wireless provider? It might be some quirk of the firmware.

If you have no SIM, then there shouldn't be any need to turn off Airplane Mode. You can always turn wi-fi and Bluetooth on in Airplane Mode.
That's the point. There is no cellular connection at all: no physical or e-sim. Bluetooth and location services are turned off. But when I turn on airplane mode wi-fi connection becomes normal. And as soon as i turn it off connection slows down from 40 mb/s to 3 (!!!) mb/s.

No idea how, but airplane mode affects wi-fi connection speed.

I ve already made fa rory reset, network settings reset and force restart. Nothing helped.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that's why I was wondering if it might be some firmware issue. It shouldn't happen, but maybe when you turn off Airplane Mode, the firmware goes searching for a cell signal in some way that's slowing down the wi-fi. Keep it in Airplane Mode for now, and try contacting Realme support about it.

BaGRaM94

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Ok, that's why I was wondering if it might be some firmware issue. It shouldn't happen, but maybe when you turn off Airplane Mode, the firmware goes searching for a cell signal in some way that's slowing down the wi-fi. Keep it in Airplane Mode for now, and try contacting Realme support about it.
Okay, thanks for your advice!

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz