Smart Switch Question

IHateMyTreo

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Ultra finally arrives today!

I've seen varying advice. SIM card either goes in first, before first turning on the phone, or after Smart Switch completes? Any help?

FWIW, I am moving from a OnePlus 8T on T-Mo.

Planning to connect the two phones by USB, unless y'all advise differently.

Thanks!

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I just went through this last weekend. Put the SIM card in the new phone first. Turn it on, press Welcome and then it should say something about seeing the SIM and ask to restart. After it restarts you'll be at the Welcome screen again. Answer all prompts, connect to Wifi and then it will automatically ask you if you want to import data from another phone. You say yes and it will start the SmartSwitch process for you. Do not bother activating the phone until you make sure all your data is there and set up the way you like it.

This is the guide I followed. It is super easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go-p7AqRZnQ

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I've also done it where I've put in the SIM after I did the Smart switch and had no issues.. I just bypassed to get to the welcome screen and transfer data... But doing as above is a great way to get started..

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter either way. I never put the SIM in first. I'd rather set the new phone up first and make sure everything works and looks ok before finally bringing over cell service.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just because you have a SIM in the device you are setting up doesn't automatically grant it service. If you start with the SIM in it, it seems to automatically recognize that you will want to transfer data from a previous device and gives you all the prompts to do so. Plus, you can set up all your accounts ahead of time and get them working. Once you are satisfied and you have all your data you can then activate the new phone.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As a previous poster said - it works either way.

I've never used Smart Switch until just now - to prep my wife's S22, moving from an S8. For years/years, I've always done the migration of data manually. I used Smart Switch for a sub-set of data this time - messages, contacts and calls - and it worked brilliantly.

Nice work Samsung. I will always use this going forward!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jheithaus