News Smartwatches got bigger to avoid solving their biggest problem

kigmatzomat

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
The Pebble got 7 day battery life with apps and hundreds of watch faces.

it didn't have cellular or gps and used ultra-low energy always-on e-ink/e-paper displays.

Those displays were fuzzier a decade ago but now they are much higher res, have better contrast and colors are brighter.

dwterry

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been wearing Galaxy Watch Classics for several years now (most recently the GWC 6) and always thought they were great. But just recently I picked up a Garmin 965 for running. It's a beautiful watch with an easy to read color display. It's tracking my steps, my heart rate, my running (using GPS), oxygen levels, sleeping, etc. I was surprised that it works pretty well as a replacement for my GWC6 with notifications (I had expected I would only wear the Garmin watch while running). But what surprised me most was that I used the watch for 6 days straight before I recharged it. Usually running with my GWC6 (with the GPS turned on) would drain it pretty quick, so I expected my Garmin to drain quickly by running with it, but it didn't. I never really used any other apps on the GWC6 (besides the built in stuff for health monitoring including running), so I'm not "missing" anything in switching over to Garmin - except for the daily recharge cycle. And honestly, I don't miss that at all.

Scott Schofield

May 21, 2021
Visit site
80 hours on the Wear? You/ve got to be kidding. Lucky to get 20... No GPS, no always on. Basic stuff... As another poster noted.. LOVED my Pebble. Did everything I needed and lasted a good week...

kbobrwpj

Apr 9, 2024
Visit site
I regularly get 48-60 hours per charge, on a 2 plus year old Galaxy Watch 4. Over time, I figured out that "dumbing down" some functions really helped the battery life. No auto brightness - I just manually set it usually once for day, and again at night. Turned off lift to view and gestures. Like others, I use mostly the health stuff, no gps, notifications display on all emails and texts, answer a few calls but only when alone and I have no other choice, heart rate monitor every 10 minutes, media controls auto pops. I even have a rotating photo background with 15 pictures currently in rotation. I think turning off the auto sensing for brightness, and turning off gestures may have seriously extended my typical battery life-but your mileage may vary. (And yes, I wear the watch at night, though sleep tracking is still hit or miss for me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymousaga