SMS Backup + not backing up all messages anymore.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I've been using SMS Backup+ for a few years.

Today, I noticed that it's not really backing up all of my SMS messages. For example, I manually triggered a backup, and it hasn't backed up messages from the past few days.

It also seems like certain contacts aren't being backed up.

One of my contacts was getting backed up last year, but I see that his messages aren't getting backed up any more this year.

I'm backing up to an AOL address, btw.

I had liked this app, during these past few years, until today when I noticed it's not backing everything up.

Also, the connect slider is grayed out for some reason. I wanted to test whether my IMAP settings and credentials were correct.

When I tried the manual backup today, it said it updated 6 items. However, I don't see any new items in my inbox.

Is there any way I can test the connection? I can't trigger any more manual backups, because it says everything is backed up. I tried sending a message to myself and having that backed up, but it doesn't recognize that as a new item.

Or, is there any trouble shooting to find out why certain messages aren't being backed up? I haven't been able to narrow down why, but I can see now there's definitely certain contacts that aren't getting backed up this year. Others still are.

Or, is there another app like this that works? Something that also backs up all messages to an email account. I like how this one has settings for only backing up on Wi Fi, and I like how it creates a dedicated folder where all messages are backed up.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
If you have RCS chat texts it won't back those up

I just use the default messaging app on a Galaxy Note 4. The text messages that it's not backing up aren't any different than the ones it is backing up. They're just simple messages.

It also seems that one of the contacts that it was backing up last year, it's not backing up this year.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I've been using SMS Backup+ for a few years.

Today, I noticed that it's not really backing up all of my SMS messages. For example, I manually triggered a backup, and it hasn't backed up messages from the past few days.

It also seems like certain contacts aren't being backed up.

One of my contacts was getting backed up last year, but I see that his messages aren't getting backed up any more this year.

I'm backing up to an AOL address, btw.

I had liked this app, during these past few years, until today when I noticed it's not backing everything up.

Also, the connect slider is grayed out for some reason. I wanted to test whether my IMAP settings and credentials were correct.

When I tried the manual backup today, it said it updated 6 items. However, I don't see any new items in my inbox.

Is there any way I can test the connection? I can't trigger any more manual backups, because it says everything is backed up. I tried sending a message to myself and having that backed up, but it doesn't recognize that as a new item.

Or, is there any trouble shooting to find out why certain messages aren't being backed up? I haven't been able to narrow down why, but I can see now there's definitely certain contacts that aren't getting backed up this year. Others still are.

Or, is there another app like this that works? Something that also backs up all messages to an email account. I like how this one has settings for only backing up on Wi Fi, and I like how it creates a dedicated folder where all messages are backed up.
What phone and carrier?

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Are the contacts ALL saved the same way I. e. to the phone, sim card, and with the note should have a couple more?

I just checked. Some are saved to sim card, some are saved to Google.

For one contact in particular that's not working, it's saved to sim card, but I have other contacts that are saved to sim card that are working.

Also, this one contact was working last year, and I didn't change any of the contact info. It stopped working this year.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I tested the connection by entering a bad password. So I do get an error when I enter a bad password. I entered the right password and it proceeds again.

I tried it again today after receiving a new message, and it says it backed it up. But I don't see it. It's from one of the same contacts that stopped working.

There's at least 2 contacts that have stopped working this year.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Can you change so all are saved to Google? Then sync.
Then clear the cache partition and reboot. OS updates do change things a bit. Retest for your problem. Good luck

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Can you change so all are saved to Google? Then sync.
Then clear the cache partition and reboot. OS updates do change things a bit. Retest for your problem. Good luck

How can I change my existing contacts so that they are Google contacts instead of sim contacts? I couldn't find a way.

Also, one of the contacts that is still working is a sim contact, for what it's worth.

Also, if there's any similar app recommendations that back up text messages to an email like this one, I'd be willing to try it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
How can I change my existing contacts so that they are Google contacts instead of sim contacts? I couldn't find a way.

Also, one of the contacts that is still working is a sim contact, for what it's worth.

Also, if there's any similar app recommendations that back up text messages to an email like this one, I'd be willing to try it.
Should be option in your contacts in the settings of it .

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I would create a new Gmail email address & try syncing everything to that as maybe it's some AOL issue.
I don't believe that there's be any updates to the app since last year but haven't checked recently. Does Your Note 4 have an older os on it? Maybe some security update messed things up too. I'm on an AT&T Note 9 with os 9.0/Pie & all is working so it's hard to troubleshoot.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I would create a new Gmail email address & try syncing everything to that as maybe it's some AOL issue.
I don't believe that there's be any updates to the app since last year but haven't checked recently. Does Your Note 4 have an older os on it? Maybe some security update messed things up too. I'm on an AT&T Note 9 with os 9.0/Pie & all is working so it's hard to troubleshoot.

I'm on Android 6.0.1.

I just reset the sync history and had it do a complete backup again. It created duplicates of several backups, because I had changed the name style for the "from" field in these email back-ups, from just the contact name, to the contact name with the phone number.

It didn't create a duplicate for every single message though, but for most of them (because of the change in format style).

So do you use this same SMS Backup+ app on your Note 9?

At least I know that the backup is still working, with these duplicates. Still don't have a clear answer as to why certain messages are skipped.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I didn't pick up on the AOL account, not used to seeing it any more. To the OP, the times are changed. AOL is a good place to upgrade to a good mail client, or mail app. With the new One UI, have you checked the AOL changelog to see if it is still compatible with what you are trying to do?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Can you see how to do it? I an only find how to set new contacts to Google, not existing ones (without manually going through each one).
Should be a gear icon in setting of the contact app or 3 dots click and choose
Samsung account
Google account *
Phone
Sim

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Android 6.0.1.

I just reset the sync history and had it do a complete backup again. It created duplicates of several backups, because I had changed the name style for the "from" field in these email back-ups, from just the contact name, to the contact name with the phone number.

It didn't create a duplicate for every single message though, but for most of them (because of the change in format style).

So do you use this same SMS Backup+ app on your Note 9?

At least I know that the backup is still working, with these duplicates. Still don't have a clear answer as to why certain messages are skipped.
Yes, I'm still using SMS Backup+ on my Note 9. It works perfectly... Most of the time. Every now and then I have to hit the manual backup button to get Recents even though I have it set for every 2 hrs & immediately for incoming.
I just looked & the app hasn't been updated since April 2018.
Reading the latest reviews shows that others are having problems similar to yours. Also, people are complaining about the required permissions. I don't know, maybe it **is** time to look for a replacement. Sadly, it looks like it's been abandoned by the developer.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I'm still using SMS Backup+ on my Note 9. It works perfectly... Most of the time. Every now and then I have to hit the manual backup button to get Recents even though I have it set for every 2 hrs & immediately for incoming.
I just looked & the app hasn't been updated since April 2018.
Reading the latest reviews shows that others are having problems similar to yours. Also, people are complaining about the required permissions. I don't know, maybe it **is** time to look for a replacement. Sadly, it looks like it's been abandoned by the developer.

Thanks. At least it's good to know that others are having problems.

I'll probably look for a different app later this week.

I didn't know it hadn't been updated since April 2018.

I did send an email to the developer over the weekend, no response.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I didn't pick up on the AOL account, not used to seeing it any more. To the OP, the times are changed. AOL is a good place to upgrade to a good mail client, or mail app. With the new One UI, have you checked the AOL changelog to see if it is still compatible with what you are trying to do?

It seems like it's still compatible with my email account, since I was able to tell it to do a full backup today. It's just that the individual SMS messages that it skipped over the past 1 - 2 months, it skipped again.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it created duplicates of most of my messages, because I had changed the contact style in the SMS Backup+ settings from just the name, to name + phone number in parenthesis.

I only keep 2 email accounts, an AOL and Yahoo one. I could try changing the settings to save to my Yahoo account, if you think it would help.

Is it possible to upgrade my Galaxy Note 4 to Android 9? What about the One UI? First I read about the One UI. Does the One UI have a different messaging app?

I've also been having reception and signal strength issues the past 3 weeks. I never had that before. I've been thinking about a new phone, but can't buy one right now. Maybe later this year. I'm also not sure if a new phone would really solve my reception issue. I think I need to try a new SIM card first, before ruling that out.