so...i just got my captivate back to ireland

Irish#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
and so far so good iv opened it turned it on things are working iv no sim card yet but that will happen later

when i connect it to my computer (a plastic macbook) it charges and a network setup window opens but nothing else

should an interface open that will allow me to backup the phone before i go ahead with unlocking and rooting it?

what i want to do is the following,

back it up
unlock it so i can insert my irish sim card
root it and install 2.2
put my music on it

but i really dont know were to start

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
i don't know what you mean regarding a backup window. If you want to backup the SD card (Internal and External - if you have ext) - then you need to turn on USB Debugging - this lets the Mac see the SD cards and mount them.

If the phone is new, there is nothing to backup.

Android usually does its backup via Google (contacts, calendar, email) - other things like SMS messages you need to find an app.

Irish#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
i don't know what you mean regarding a backup window. If you want to backup the SD card (Internal and External - if you have ext) - then you need to turn on USB Debugging - this lets the Mac see the SD cards and mount them.

If the phone is new, there is nothing to backup.

Android usually does its backup via Google (contacts, calendar, email) - other things like SMS messages you need to find an app.

it is brand new and has nothing on it BUT i want to back it up before i unlock or root anything so that if things go a bit wrong on the way then i can restore it to how it is right now

is there a way to do that?

Irish#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
thanks again

iv been trying to root it all day with the manual method and the one click method

with the manual method no matter what i do i cant get the phone to boot into recovery mode

with the one click method the app says it has pushed the file to the right place and it reboots the phone into the recovery mode but when i got to reinstall packages it says that the file sdcard/update.zip does not exist

any ideas how i can resolve this and get this rooted?

without a root i cant unlock it and therefore cant really use it grrrrrrr i know it must be something simple im missing

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I did it the manual way with no app. I just copied update.zip to the memory card from my pc.

Sometimes on windows the file can get named update.zip.zip because people have hidden file extensions. Did you put the file on the internal SDcard? and not the external sd card (if you have one)?

You could manually put the file on the right mounted volume, then run the one click tool. I used the SDK and the ADB commands, but not sure if they work on mac.

Irish#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I did it the manual way with no app. I just copied update.zip to the memory card from my pc.

Sometimes on windows the file can get named update.zip.zip because people have hidden file extensions. Did you put the file on the internal SDcard? and not the external sd card (if you have one)?

You could manually put the file on the right mounted volume, then run the one click tool. I used the SDK and the ADB commands, but not sure if they work on mac.

i have a pc downstairs that i could use instead of the mac if it was easier but thats what i was using to try the manual method

when i hold the power button and the two volume buttons it just stays on the at+t screen and then goes black and bac kto the at+t screen until i release the power button then it boots normally

i renamed the volume to 'myphone' the first time i conencted it to the laptop could this be the problem? are the apps looking for the default volume name instead of the one i named it?

im gonna use odin to flash it back and then try again later on tonight and see if that works

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hold the two volume buttons down and the power button until the ATT screen just pops up, then release the power button but be sure to keep holding the two volume buttons down.

The zip file must be named update.zip, otherwise it will not work.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
i have a pc downstairs that i could use instead of the mac if it was easier but thats what i was using to try the manual method

when i hold the power button and the two volume buttons it just stays on the at+t screen and then goes black and bac kto the at+t screen until i release the power button then it boots normally

i renamed the volume to 'myphone' the first time i conencted it to the laptop could this be the problem? are the apps looking for the default volume name instead of the one i named it?

im gonna use odin to flash it back and then try again later on tonight and see if that works

If you can't get this to go, i would not use Odin to flash back. If you are running the stock OS, that is unnecessary. The problem with this easy installers is that they make assumptions - since I didn't use a mac, or do it this way, I don't know what the script is looking for.

Get the update.zip file, copy it to the correct volume and then use the manual method to put the phone in update mode.

Do you have an external SD card? have you used the phone's file browser to look and see that the file is named update.zip and located in /SDCard/ ? External SD is located at /SDCard/SD/ and should NOT have the update.zip file.

Maybe you put the file in the wrong place or named it wrong - again use "My Files" in applications to see where the file is located and what the name is.

Irish#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
If you can't get this to go, i would not use Odin to flash back. If you are running the stock OS, that is unnecessary. The problem with this easy installers is that they make assumptions - since I didn't use a mac, or do it this way, I don't know what the script is looking for.

thanks, ok i wont go for odin. basically the reason im trying the one click method is because i cant get the phone into recovery mode manually i just tried what you said and it still just boots normally

Do you have an external SD card?

nope

have you used the phone's file browser to look and see that the file is named update.zip and located in /SDCard/ ?

it says it is now but when i first checked it was in the sd folder BUT thats because i was moving things around trying to get it to work i have tried it in the root folder 6/7 times. when it is in the wrong folder i get the file does not exist error which is fair enough it is in the wrong folder. when it is in the correct place, ie the root folder i get the file cannot be opened(bad) error

im gonna redownload the update.zip now and try a few more times maybe my download was corrupt or something

Irish#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
im a towel

just got it work, i redownloaded the update.zip and renamed it etc etc and it worked

i think what happened was my downloader automatically unzipped the file and then i went and renamed what it spat out to update.zip and thats why it didnt work, thanks for all the help guys now onto the unlock

ill probably be back in a few mins with more problems :p

BoulderGeek

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
towelie.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I hope that the South Park reference translates.... :D :rolleyes:

sparker366

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I use the android sdk to put my phone in the recovery mode works like a champ. Once you got it downloaded you put the phone in download mode then open a command prompt on the comp and navigate to sdk directory then the tools directory run adb reboot recovery and its there. This is assuming you are running it on a pc for a mac not sure what will work.

As for it not finding the update.zip yeah you need to make sure you put in the root of the internal sd card and not the external. Best thing to do is pull the external sd card to make sure the comp only sees the internal one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak