So I was thinking.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a Thunderbolt on a 2 year contract.
The phone seems more than able to support my needs for that long, and
I'm sure I'll get new phone envy/lust. But I figured after 2 years of
thunderbolt there will be a truly amazing phone that is a major improvement
not just little ones.

So my question is what do you guys think about this theory?

Mustang7303

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Besides not having the money to keep flipping phones every six months to a year, the TB will have enough power to do what ever you could ask of it. Multiple core phones are just now making those way through the pipeline and we probably won't see 2.4 become redily available towards the end of this year, plus give developers a years to start taking advantage of the extra power, and you're just about around to your next upgrade.

Thats my view anyways.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If you buy the insurance, you won't necessarily need to wait 2 years. I have received free upgrades through insurance replacements when my original phone is no longer available. Don't need to renew your contract either. I went from the Samsung SCH-i760 to the Touch Pro, to the Touch Pro 2, without even needing to pay the $50 deductible and not needing to renew my contract. Verizon has even credited my account several times due to inconvenience or my needing to buy different batteries, etc. Verizon always treats me very well because I have been a loyal customer for over 13 years. When my contract is expired, they are even nicer to me because they realize I could leave more easily. It helps that I am always polite when I have a problem.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you. I only do two year contracts.

I like keeping my phone for two years, until the bitter end. Lol.

This way, I'll save some $ because I'm not dropping more on the device itself with a one year contract and doing that EVERY year.

Secondly, when you upgrade after two years, it's a BIG improvement over your current phone!

I hate small, incremental upgrades.

You can upgrade after 20 months. And VZW always honors my request to move the upgrade date up a month when I ask. So that's 19 months.

I think the TBolt will be great in 19 months still.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
As long as this phone is solid, doesn't shut down, power off or have any defects from the manufacturer, I have no issue keeping it for 18 to 24 months.

LTE-wise it's future proof. It has a LOT of great features that I really would like to have in a phone, and the fact all of Metro-Detroit just went LTE this past week really makes me think this phone will suffice for a few years.

botero

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
If you get a 1 year contract and sell your old phone on ebay, usually you can cover the price of a new 1 year contract. That basically means you pay once, and get a new free phone every 10 months... Which is cheaper, and you stay current.

2 year is for suckers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That's a good plan too. 2 years isn't for suckers. It's a choice. I don't want a new phone every 2 years. I like keeping them so I can get to know it really well.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm in same boat as you guys too.
I've been telling myself, hell I did 24 months with my storm1 (with insurance), I cam do 20 months with a tbolt.

But verizon, listen closely, I can't do 20 months if you don't release it!

Harreh

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
As long as this phone is solid, doesn't shut down, power off or have any defects from the manufacturer, I have no issue keeping it for 18 to 24 months.

I have had several smart phones. I had the Dinc, my son broke his phone so i gave that to him. That phone is one of the most well built phones i have ever had. When i gave that phone to my son, i bought the fascinate. The samsung phone is ok, but you can't beat the feel or the build quality of HTC. I have 2 upgrades, currently, and i have absolutely no doubt that one will be spent on the Tbolt ( to replace my fascinate ) next week.

pfiz113

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
yeah, 2 years is not that bad after thinking about it, especially if what Google says is true about releasing new iterations of Android every 6 months. Plus coming from an i*hone 3G, i think i will be much happier with the BOLT and VZW. My contract has been up since November and i REALLY need to get a new phone.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Another way to think about is that buying a 1-yr contract is really just buying the option to upgrade after 10-months. You don't have to upgrade then if you don't want to or if nothing comes out that makes you want to upgrade. I really think this gets forgotten in a lot of this talk. Heck, I've had my current phone for almost 3-yrs on a 2-yr contract, still waiting for something to upgrade to. So, if you like to keep your phones for longer than 1-yr (or 10-mos), then you need to ask yourself whether it's worth the extra money to have the option to upgrade after 10-mos. If not, then go for 2-yrs.

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
the thunderbolt will be future proof for the next year and maybe even longer. my worry is NFC. that is so cool and it looks like the technology is really taking off. i have seen a few iphone 5 rumors and it might have NFC. i will just say that if apple goes, the market will.

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I always get a 2 year and update after a year...the only problems with that now are the changes Verizon made so we now have to wait 20 months. Thinking about it, 20 months really doesn't sound that that bad compared to 24...I really don't know what I'm going to do, I'm kind of hoping I like this phone so much that I won't want a different one in a year but knowing me, I probably will.

menji

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I always end up getting a 2yr plan, and for better or worse, I always end up sticking with it. even though better options come along, i just find it easier to deal with the phone. As long as it can do what I want it to, I'll have no problem waiting 20 months for a new phone. besides, the tbolt should be more than enough for me.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If a storm fulfilled my needs that long. I most def that this will hold me for 2yrs :)

LOL!! God this is so true.

But I think the Tbolt will meet your needs just fine for at *least* the next year, and more than likely even beyond that as well. Unless you're in a desperate need to have the latest and greatest (like me), then the hardware and software will survive the test of time IMO.

ASLgeek

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've always done 2 yr but I have 6 lines on my acct so someone is always eligible for an upgrade and 2 of those lines belong to older people so you know they aren't upgrading. They are happy with their little outdated flip phones. I am thinking 1 yr on this one since they got rid of NE2. It's usually only $50 or so bucks extra and I never keep a phone longer than a year

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
my worry is NFC. that is so cool and it looks like the technology is really taking off. i have seen a few iphone 5 rumors and it might have NFC. i will just say that if apple goes, the market will.

I think it will be a couple years before nfc takes off. It's not just the phones, the credit card companies have to get on board, stores and all that stuff. I wouldn't expect it to get big for 2-5 years.

It's pretty rad, tho.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerHapZ