So, OK Google works, but why not Alexa?

Nov 14, 2018
Visit site
I have a dashcam that supports Alexa, but to do so, the S20 needs Alexa too of course.

However, with Google Assistant, I just say "OK Google" and the phone responds as expected, but for Alexa to respond, the phone seems to need the Alexa app actually showing on the screen. Not ideal when driving for instance, or if the phone is laying on the desk and Alexa needs to be asked something...

Am I doing something wrong with the settings, or will Alexa always only work with the screen on and the app showing?

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I did not know that. just gave it a try on my note 10 and found you were right, it will only work when alexa app is open and on screen. might need another alexa device for your dashcam to work. there is always alexa auto or one of the others. or keep using google :) guess another advanage of owning their own operating system. able to intregate their own ai better than third parties can.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
While not ideal you can always have Google Assistant or Bixby open Alexa. It's an additional step but may be worth it while driving.

Samsung used to block OK Google device unlocking, I used their worthless S Voice to open Google Assistant while driving back than.

Paul_Iddon

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
That worked, and as you say it's 2 steps, but yeah, a solution.

I might contact Amazon Alexa help line and see if they know a workaround but it is odd that it can't open in the same way as GA.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The Alexa hotword only works on devices that Amazon sells that come with it preinstalled. (usually unlocked) It doesn't work with the screen off or without the app already being open if your device is not one of them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800