So, where is the MENU button?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So with the introduction of these virtual buttons, I didn't notice the MENU button anywhere. In Honeycomb, it appears in the top-right of 3.0 applications and as an additional (4th) virtual button in older apps.

Nowhere in the demo did I see a menu button in ICS though. Anyone see one? If not, anyone know what is replacing it in ICS? Very odd ..

generous

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just like on HC: When a menu button is required, the menu button will appear in the virtual button bar. Thats the beauty of virtual buttons.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The menu button has largely been replaced with a contextual options bar, usually at the bottom from what I saw. But I have seen a menu like button for some apps at the upper right side, similar to Honeycomb. I can't remember exactly which ones they were.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Just like on HC: When a menu button is required, the menu button will appear in the virtual button bar. Thats the beauty of virtual buttons.

Hmm. So on the Home page, when I now can hit Menu, wallpaper, or Menu, Settings.. How exactly would I do that in ICS since there is no Menu button on the Home screen?

PremierPowerSports

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi and Goodday Friends,
I too have an issue with the "menu button" when I need one, the little green droid pops up and says "just hit the Menu Button" and then the ? Button to acheive this, still when the message pops up No Menu button appears? A855 maybe I should have spent more money? it's odd that it would give detailed instructions for a button few can find!! If You can help,,,, the Drinks are on Me!!!

Blessings
SteveEEE

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi and Goodday Friends,
I too have an issue with the "menu button" when I need one, the little green droid pops up and says "just hit the Menu Button" and then the ? Button to acheive this, still when the message pops up No Menu button appears? A855 maybe I should have spent more money? it's odd that it would give detailed instructions for a button few can find!! If You can help,,,, the Drinks are on Me!!!

Blessings
SteveEEE

Is that the OG Droid? A855? That would be the second button from the left if I remember correctly... and if this is about the Droid... wrong forum section ;)

StuMcBill

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
You just need to think "MENU" and telepathic Android Siri will contact an Apple Server and magic a Menu button onto your screen! :D

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. So on the Home page, when I now can hit Menu, wallpaper, or Menu, Settings.. How exactly would I do that in ICS since there is no Menu button on the Home screen?
From playing in an emulator, you can change the wallpaper by long-pressing a generally empty part of the homescreen (brings up the wallpaper options).
As for the other options (excluding just getting to Settings, which can be done from the notification dropdown), the Manage applications shortcut is basically just the multitasking button, Search is right on the homescreen, no need for an "Add" button, and other stuff, well, guess we'll find out once the GN hits the market

mukarram1

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
One of my favorite things about Android was always the dedicated menu button; it was always something I touted over my iPhone wielding roommate, and a fact I highlighted whenever someone asked me how Android compares to iPhone. I loved the fact that, when ever you wanted to see all the options wherever you are, you don't ever have to look for anything, because its always there, in the same place, and if there weren't options, you know because it just doesn't do anything. Now, you have to look for the menu/settings/options/etc., whether its in a pull-down notifications area, or a button on the bottom, or a button on the top, or some other custom thing, and if there aren't settings (which sometimes you think there are but it turns out there aren't, or at least that happens with me this is already too long of a run on sentence) you wouldn't know until you have exhausted your search.
I may be a minority in thinking this, but I am definitely not alone.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Guys its in the pulldown notification bar. I'm sure if we complain about it enough it'll get put into a future update, but for now just pull down the notification bar and its right at the top

Reactions: Tom S.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Guys its in the pulldown notification bar. I'm sure if we complain about it enough it'll get put into a future update, but for now just pull down the notification bar and its right at the top

There's a shortcut to Settings in the notification pull down, but not menu.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
One thing I'm wondering about however: you can currently hold down the menu button to force the keyboard to appear. This is sometimes handy when you tap on a form on the web and, for some reason, the keyboard doesn't pop up. Or when the keyboard is blocking something and you want to manually force it to go away. Is this possible in ICS if it doesn't have that button anymore?

2010 ZR1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
One of my favorite things about Android was always the dedicated menu button; it was always something I touted over my iPhone wielding roommate, and a fact I highlighted whenever someone asked me how Android compares to iPhone. I loved the fact that, when ever you wanted to see all the options wherever you are, you don't ever have to look for anything, because its always there, in the same place, and if there weren't options, you know because it just doesn't do anything. Now, you have to look for the menu/settings/options/etc., whether its in a pull-down notifications area, or a button on the bottom, or a button on the top, or some other custom thing, and if there aren't settings (which sometimes you think there are but it turns out there aren't, or at least that happens with me this is already too long of a run on sentence) you wouldn't know until you have exhausted your search.
I may be a minority in thinking this, but I am definitely not alone.

One of the arguments against android was the menu button itself. With the button always being there, the user is never sure if there is another menu when they are using a new app. By making the menu button appear when needed, this eliminates the guess work. This way the user can see it and know there is more, instead of looking for more info that isn't there.

If you NEED a menu button, there is a MOD to add the Menu button as well as a Search button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autocascade