Software/Hardware glitch regarding Google phone app.

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys, I had to come here and report an issue with my Samsung A50. The issue is that after installing the Google phone app, and opening it up, I discovered that in its settings the Samsung A50 phone app has integrated itself and has inserted it's settings along with Google's phone settings. Under the Calls settings in the Google phone app, all if Samsung's phone app settings are integrated. Even down below at the about section it gives me Samsung's phone app version 12... instead of Google's phone version which is 66... Now I think that interference with 3rd party apps from the manufacturer have been done away with for some time. Samsung has returned my phone without any fix. I returned it again and they again are returning it without any repairs. This is manufacturer glitch, and anyone not noticing this should check it out. I want a refund. I see no repair as it'll have to be a total redo of their software etc... Let me know what you think about this. Thanks so much.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC!
This is normal for 3rd party phone app such as Google to transfer over calls from Samsung phone app , sane if you use Samsung message app and then use Google message app everything repopulate there as well.

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to convey. The Google phone app settings are being interfered with by the Samsung phone app settings. When I go into the Google phone app settings, the Samsung phone app settings have taken over, even in the about version for the Google phone app, it gives me the Samsung phone app version. This definitely is not supposed to happen. When you use any app and go into its settings, you're supposed to get info about that app, and not any other. Those days of not being able to use 3rd party apps because of interference from the manufacturer have been over for some time now. What's the point of anyone developing an app if someone else is going to take it over?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to convey. The Google phone app settings are being interfered with by the Samsung phone app settings. When I go into the Google phone app settings, the Samsung phone app settings have taken over, even in the about version for the Google phone app, it gives me the Samsung phone app version. This definitely is not supposed to happen. When you use any app and go into its settings, you're supposed to get info about that app, and not any other. Those days of not being able to use 3rd party apps because of interference from the manufacturer have been over for some time now. What's the point of anyone developing an app if someone else is going to take it over?
Can you post a screenshot of your example ?
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=413366

I have both apps on my Note20U

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Here's what's supposed to show up when you go into the Calls settings section on the Google Phone App. I don't have my A50 as Samsung supposedly just mailed it back to me. Though in this very section instead of this showing up, the Samsung settings show up with their About Version 12. If I don't get a refund I'll post a screenshot exactly how it looks. If you have both apps installed, then go into the Calls setting on your Google Phone App as shown here, and see if it's happening to you. Tbh, many have missed this or simply overlooked it. Thanks.

No I didn't disable the Samsung Phone App. It gives me that warning about something might not work correctly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210718-142100.jpg
    Screenshot_20210718-142100.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 8

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Here's what's supposed to show up when you go into the Calls settings section on the Google Phone App. I don't have my A50 as Samsung supposedly just mailed it back to me. Though in this very section instead of this showing up, the Samsung settings show up with their About Version 12. If I don't get a refund I'll post a screenshot exactly how it looks. If you have both apps installed, then go into the Calls setting on your Google Phone App as shown here, and see if it's happening to you. Tbh, many have missed this or simply overlooked it. Thanks.

No I didn't disable the Samsung Phone App. It gives me that warning about something might not work correctly.
Yeah in call settings it default to Samsung settings there but every where else it's same as stock google app, this probably due to samsung as default phone app, same with Google contacts apps .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I downloaded google app awhile ago , it wasnt what the phone came stock with and to try it as it was previously unavailable for my Note 20U. So its probably the way it gets coded as 3rd party app on Samsung . Another thing is google/Samsung have been doing collaboration on their newer phones or Andriod version

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Ok, so what's your take on this? Because Whatsapp is also a calling/messaging app and this doesn't happen. Is it fair to say that going forward they should take a look at this and let 3rd party apps alone, especially in their settings? Mind you, 2 reps from Samsung said this shouldn't be happening. I agree. You shouldn't be seeing any other app's settings in another app. I have to be honest and also say that Samsung isn't all that they make it out to be, especially reception wise I have a Moto E6 with Android 9 and same carrier, and in the same spot I get close to full bars on reception, while with the A50 I get 1 maybe 2 bars. Looks like I'm stuck with this A50, even though it's still under warranty? Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok, so what's your take on this? Because Whatsapp is also a calling/messaging app and this doesn't happen. Is it fair to say that going forward they should take a look at this and let 3rd party apps alone, especially in their settings? Mind you, 2 reps from Samsung said this shouldn't be happening. I agree. You shouldn't be seeing any other app's settings in another app. I have to be honest and also say that Samsung isn't all that they make it out to be, especially reception wise I have a Moto E6 with Android 9 and same carrier, and in the same spot I get close to full bars on reception, while with the A50 I get 1 maybe 2 bars. Looks like I'm stuck with this A50, even though it's still under warranty? Thanks.
Whatsapp cant be used as a default phone app in setting>apps>default app

The phone came with Samsung default phone app so if you want use a 3rd party you can but going experience this.

There are plenty of phones in the market that dont add a lot of manufacturers flare on Android that might better suit you.Screenshot_20210719-133721_Permission%20controller.jpg

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
If they send it back, I'll keep it. For a midrange flagship phone it's not bad at all. I just got thrown off by that, as having to go through all those years with manufacturer say so. They say it's in another department waiting a decision. Maybe they themselves didn't catch this because they sure didn't know this was happening. Thanks so much.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If they send it back, I'll keep it. For a midrange flagship phone it's not bad at all. I just got thrown off by that, as having to go through all those years with manufacturer say so. They say it's in another department waiting a decision. Maybe they themselves didn't catch this because they sure didn't know this was happening. Thanks so much.
Good luck , Your Welcome!

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Well well, if you want to say this is a coincidence well I don't think so, as Samsung has just brought out the A52 smartphone, and surprisingly comes with Google messages as the default messaging app, and your choice of replacing the Samsung phone app with Google phone! Well this went on as my phone still sits over there with Samsung, as they try to make a decision as to what they're going to do. I think what they're pointing towards is probably offering me the A52 you know, and continue the payments as previously before. I said I would keep the A50 and right now I have to honestly say that I'm not sure if I would do that. I will not take the A52 because if you go over to XDA developers, they have a initial review from a phone that India sent them, the country of India that is, and it just comes with a host of bloatware, the camera was bumped up a little bit, but the build material or whatever is not really what they like about it. And it comes with this new Apple cloud application which you can't bypass at all! You have to use it for the initial setup and it includes all kinds of pre-installed bloatware etc etc. So this is the old double work as we used to call it back in the days scenario. You do something only to counter it with something else. I'm not going to take the A52 as a replacement at all. I'm pretty sure you probably heard of the new phone, if not XDA developers has the initial review on it. Unbelievable how they went and got on this as soon as possible though I must say. They know something is not right and are trying to remedy it. Too much of a rush job imo. Thanks.

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
They came out with the A52 while they still have my A50. It comes with Google messages as default, and you can replace the Samsung Phone app with the Google phone app. This is not a coincidence. Only thing it's full of bloatware, more than usual. The initial review is not great. Oh well, I'm going to have to contact them and see what's happening before I move to another phone.

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys. Well I received my A50 and I think they got rid of a couple of apps. Anyway, I'm keeping it and maybe upgrade after the qualifying time. The A52 seems to have addressed the issue. Only the flagship phones will receive the next numbered One UI. All others will receive the changes without the next version number. If I decide to upgrade I'm going for the Samsung Flip. Always liked those since back in the days. Thanks.

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
A very much needed update guys! Samsung is conducting an investigation into my case as it turns out that they didn't send me back my original A50. I knew something wasn't right, when I discovered a scratch on the screen. After speaking with a helpful associate, we checked out the IMEI numbers and long and behold they didn't match! Someone messed up bad. First my phone was practically brand new. Second my issue was a software glitch nothing hardware whatsoever. No need at all to send me a used replacement phone whatsoever. This right now is with the higher ups in an investigation which might take 8 business days. This right here will determine whether I ever do business with Samsung again. Mind you the Z Flip 3 is on its way by the 8th September. I'm going to check it out thoroughly, and depending on what they try to do with my situation will take it from there. So far the talk has been great, though the action is what I'm watching out for. Samsung is a very reputable company and it would be a shame if they let the actions of one bad apple dictate my final decision. Right now they're thinking something happened at the UPS handling place. Well before getting there it must of went through several hands. I shouldn't be giving them the benefit of the doubt because this obviously was intentional. Things happen. Life happens.

dr_ml422

Jul 18, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys, I just wanted to update what eventually happened with this matter regarding the Google Phone App settings getting interfered with by Samsung's Phone App settings. They still haven't fixed this on either end. Whether it's a Google or Samsung App issue still remains to be resolved. I will say though that something unrelated happened regarding my A50, and Samsung stepped up big time and rectified the situation. I since have remained a loyal customer and purchased 2 Samsung Galaxy A32 5G unlocked cellphones. Which as of Cyber Monday were only $149.99. A super great buy for a very good Galaxy A Series 5G cellphone. You can't beat 3 major updates, and about 3-4 years of continued security support. They really have stepped up to continue their much deserved success. Thanks for all the support and info you guys provide here site wide. Happy Holidays to all!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markp84103