Question Software update

Altnume

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
Hello guys so I have a galaxy s21 ultra the us version sm-g998u and I'm in the middle east it's unlocked and now running on android 12 will I be able to receive software updates even though I'm not in the US?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello guys so I have a galaxy s21 ultra the us version sm-g998u and I'm in the middle east it's unlocked and now running on android 12 will I be able to receive software updates even though I'm not in the US?
Is it a factory unlocked model? Or, was it carrier branded but unlocked after the fact?

If it was a carrier model (and the "U" in the model number is usually carrier branded, while "U1" is usually factory unlocked), then it depends on which carrier it was branded to.

If it was an AT&T sold phone, and even if it was unlocked, then the answer is - no, it won't get updates. AT&T models only get updates from AT&T while on the AT&T network with an AT&T activated SIM. Outside of the network, AT&T can't see you to send the update.

I don't know about T-Mobile or Verizon works,

Reactions: Altnume

Altnume

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
Is it a factory unlocked model? Or, was it carrier branded but unlocked after the fact?

If it was a carrier model (and the "U" in the model number is usually carrier branded, while "U1" is usually factory unlocked), then it depends on which carrier it was branded to.

If it was an AT&T sold phone, and even if it was unlocked, then the answer is - no, it won't get updates. AT&T models only get updates from AT&T while on the AT&T network with an AT&T activated SIM. Outside of the network, AT&T can't see you to send the update.

I don't know about T-Mobile or Verizon works,
Thanks for the replay that was sad actually it is sm-g998u without the 1 so yeah as you said but will it work with smart switch?

Altnume

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
On WiFi u should be able still receive updates or PC Smart switch

Personally I would flash over to the unlock firmware sm-g998u1
Thanks for your answer I'm not that great in tech so if I can ask you now I searched for the firmware and it appears that the phone was once locked to Verizon and now it's unlocked so on wifi I will get the update? Or no way I'm getting an update the normal way ?

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your answer I'm not that great in tech so if I can ask you now I searched for the firmware and it appears that the phone was once locked to Verizon and now it's unlocked so on wifi I will get the update? Or no way I'm getting an update the normal way ?
I would try on WiFi if it doesn't download smart switch to your PC and hook your device with cable see if ones available otherwise you will need to flash with Odin which I can guide you

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, your luck might be better if it was a Verzon device.

It's AT&T devices that only get the updates through AT&T's update servers. And Device Switch never worked on AT&T. All other carriers get their updates from Samsung's update servers.

Reactions: Altnume

Altnume

Oct 5, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, your luck might be better if it was a Verzon device.

It's AT&T devices that only get the updates through AT&T's update servers. And Device Switch never worked on AT&T. All other carriers get their updates from Samsung's update servers.
Then I'll wait and see if it will happen thank you guys for all the replays and explanations

Reactions: J Dubbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter