Some Verizon concerns need to be answered.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Throughout many threads in this forum, there are a lot of concerns from various people about the Verizon release of the Nexus. Many people seem to be on edge about various details. So I think some things need to be said about Nexus phones in general.

1) Nexus updates have always came from Google and been released as soon as Google had them ready.

2) Nexus phones have always came with absolutely ZERO carrier bloatware or manufacture UI skins.

Those are the two main benefits of a Nexus device. I still hear people quote such things in many threads trying to answer people's concerns. But the fact of the matter is that point #2 has already been messed up with Verizon. So why on earth are people still acting like point #1 (or any other perk of a Nexus phone for that matter) is still valid?

NOTHING about this phone is valid until it is officially confirmed by Verizon. NOTHING about a previous Nexus phone applies to the Verizon release of this Nexus phone. The quicker people understand that, the less they will be let down when news arrives such as the videos of bloatware on Verizon's Nexus. Just wait until the details are confirmed and then decide to either buy this phone or wait for something else.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
NOTHING about this phone is valid until it is officially confirmed by Verizon. NOTHING about a previous Nexus phone applies to the Verizon release of this Nexus phone. The quicker people understand that, the less they will be let down when news arrives such as the videos of bloatware on Verizon's Nexus. Just wait until the details are confirmed and then decide to either buy this phone or wait for something else.

This is so much truth it's sad i can only like this once

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to believe that the two apps are just a little leeway given to Verizon and that's as far as it will go. Unfortunately you're completely right it terms of logical speculation.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

Absolutely. Of course, this is also the only device on VZW with even the possibility of having benefit 1. So I can understand the hope, as I share it myself.

I would argue that there are other benefits, but I know that those who are passionate about their device that isn't the GNex (sorry, but I've seen a lot of passionate Rezound'ers coming in today to various threads here and saying why the GNex is the wrong device; I've got my own opinions of why they are doing that) will come in and argue with me. Who knows; they might be right, but still. Arguing on the internet is totally pointless.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't consider #2 to be valid as bloat. I consider bloat as useless app simply there to make Verizon money....stuff like a Block Buster app. But I can understand the opposite view as well.

With #1 its obvious the updates will be pushed by Google....Verizon doesn't push any updates, don't confuse a couple apps to be the same as a manufacture skin over Android from HTC for example who pushes the update. The timeliness of updates....well you are correct there is no telling since there are 2 verizon apps until we have the final product. However the Xoom is a GED, so this isn't a Verizon first and they been great by not messing with it...

Reactions: ejaymd11

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. Of course, this is also the only device on VZW with even the possibility of having benefit 1. So I can understand the hope, as I share it myself.

I would argue that there are other benefits, but I know that those who are passionate about their device that isn't the GNex (sorry, but I've seen a lot of passionate Rezound'ers coming in today to various threads here and saying why the GNex is the wrong device; I've got my own opinions of why they are doing that) will come in and argue with me. Who knows; they might be right, but still. Arguing on the internet is totally pointless.

Like I mentioned the Xoom is a Google experience device on Verizon's network so this isn't a new thing for them. They've done great by not impeding update progress.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Like I mentioned the Xoom is a Google experience device on Verizon's network so this isn't a new thing for them. They've done great by not impeding update progress.

True, though I believe that there is a time delay (I'm not an expert, lol? I hardly follow Android tablets at all, but I do remember reading articles that would say that non-VZW versions of the Xoom had an update, and for the VZW version to expect it within a week, which isn't long at all, and totally acceptable IMO).

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
True, though I believe that there is a time delay (I'm not an expert, lol? I hardly follow Android tablets at all, but I do remember reading articles that would say that non-VZW versions of the Xoom had an update, and for the VZW version to expect it within a week, which isn't long at all, and totally acceptable IMO).

Xoom is exclusive to vzw inside the USA. So we always get the updates first. There are some minor delays between the wifi only and 3/4g models but that's because its two different devices.

Outside the USA on different carriers Motorola pushes the updates which is slightly modified and arguably better in some respects. They don't have a skin the differences are in functionality like SD card access. Motorola was able to push the 3.1 update with SD card access full read and write where as Google versions didn't have SD card access until 3.2 and its only write. So we have the latest version NUMBER but that's it.

I do think the GSM GN will see updates a little before the LTE version due to hardware differences but I still think we'll see later version NUMBERS far before skinned versions of ICS.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Every wonder why Xoom wifi gets updates before 3G version...sometimes weeks ahead? They are exactly the same device except one has a 3G radio and is on vzw network. I find it hard to believe that vzw is going to let google just push ole update they want on their network without doing some testing.

I sure hope I'm wrong though...I just have this feeling. Stranger things have happened.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone considered the possibility that the two Verizon apps displayed in the video were there as advertisement (not-so-subtle branding) on Verizon's part so that a casual viewer would identify the GNex as being related to Verizon? Both very well may have to be downloaded from the app store but were included in the video so that connection could be made between the device and the carrier.

Like the OP stated--we simply won't know until we know. Until then, we are all left with speculation (which sucks more than a Hoover vacuum cleaner).

Reactions: ejaymd11

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone considered the possibility that the two Verizon apps displayed in the video were there as advertisement (not-so-subtle branding) on Verizon's part so that a casual viewer would identify the GNex as being related to Verizon? Both very well may have to be downloaded from the app store but were included in the video so that connection could be made between the device and the carrier.

Like the OP stated--we simply won't know until we know. Until then, we are all left with speculation (which sucks more than a Hoover vacuum cleaner).

I had considered that. I also thought that may be the case with the VZW & LTE logos on the back but, that's probably pushing it.

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Tuna and maguro, a quick clarification

Take from this what you will, but Jean-Baptise Queru, a software engineer that works on the AOSP, posted this in a Google Groups discussion board.

"There've been several questions in this group about tuna vs maguro,
but such questions were buried in the middle on long threads so I'll
try to summarize in a new clean thread.

The Galaxy Nexus family is codenamed "tuna". Using fish names in
relationship to devices isn't quite new, since in the past we've had
goldfish (emulator), trout (G1), mahimahi (Nexus One), herring (Nexus
S) and stingray (Xoom).

There are two actual Galaxy Nexus devices, codenamed maguro and toro.
Maguro is the GSM/HSPA+ variant, and Toro is the CDMA/LTE variant.
Toro is a bit fatter, hence its name.

In the source tree released yesterday, there are two directories
called device/samsung/tuna and device/samsung/maguro. The former
contains all the files that are common to both toro and maguro, while
the latter contains the maguro-specific files. There's no
device/samsung/toro in AOSP yet, that directory will get created when
we release the exact code that actually ships on toro.

device/samsung/tuna contains makefiles as if it was an actual device.
There's no such device in reality, but the abstraction is convenient
for engineering purposes as it allows creating a common system image
that works on both toro and maguro, even though it supports neither
GSM/HSPA+ nor CDMA/LTE. This is only meant for engineering purposes,
and the only real devices are maguro and toro.

Looking a little bit in my crystal ball, we'll be supporting toro in
AOSP along with maguro, with similar downloads for proprietary
binaries, and the whole process is tied to shipping toro. Be aware
that my crystal ball is rarely more accurate than a Magic 8-ball, so
you should take this with a grain of salt.

Personally, I prefer working with maguro, as supporting GSM in AOSP is
easier than CDMA in my experience."

While this can be interpreted in a couple of different ways, I'm pretty sure a software engineer for the AOSP would know these kinds of things. If Toro appears in the source tree, that means it will have its own proper AOSP build, like every other "Google Experience" device ever made.

Really, you guys have NOTHING to worry about. I'm sure of it. All of this speculation is starting to turn a lot of people off from getting the Nexus, and a lot it is unfounded.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Every wonder why Xoom wifi gets updates before 3G version...sometimes weeks ahead? They are exactly the same device except one has a 3G radio and is on vzw network. I find it hard to believe that vzw is going to let google just push ole update they want on their network without doing some testing.

I sure hope I'm wrong though...I just have this feeling. Stranger things have happened.

See but it doesn't. Version 3.1 was pushed to the 3g model a week or so before the wifi. And it was reversed with version 3.2.....

The phone is on there network yes but the update doesn't need to be pushed on it. I use my home wifi to download updates. Verizon didn't take out the baked in wifi hotspot with Honeycomb. Its pure all the way...

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Now correct me if I am wrong but didn't the nexus s have a golf game installed by one of the carriers? I thought it was sprint that put it on?

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Now correct me if I am wrong but didn't the nexus s have a golf game installed by one of the carriers? I thought it was sprint that put it on?

Nope. My Sprint Nexus S 4G came completely bare. Sprint gives you the option to add any of its apps manually, but it didn't have anything to start with.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
A while back Black Man X stated that part of the stipulations between Google and VZW was that the updates would come directly from Google not VZW. VZW would only be involved if the device sold well, and they needed their help to push updates. Does no one remember this? Or are we just ignoring it? Verizon knows this is a Nexus. If they didn't want the strings that came with the Nexus they would have simply took the SGS2. About the two apps I still feel it's not a big deal, and the same way Google can put what apps they want on their phone, I would think VZW should have a small about of leeway to put the apps they feel are necessary for a phone to be used on their network. These apps are no more bloat than say Gtalk for example, an app that I very rarely use but do not mind having on my phone.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
A while back Black Man X stated that part of the stipulations between Google and VZW was that the updates would come directly from Google not VZW. VZW would only be involved if the device sold well, and they needed their help to push updates. Does no one remember this? Or are we just ignoring it? Verizon knows this is a Nexus. If they didn't want the strings that came with the Nexus they would have simply took the SGS2. About the two apps I still feel it's not a big deal, and the same way Google can put what apps they want on their phone, I would think VZW should have a small about of leeway to put the apps they feel are necessary for a phone to be used on their network. These apps are no more bloat than say Gtalk for example, an app that I very rarely use but do not mind having on my phone.

I don't remember seeing this, but if BMX said it he is one of the few sources I actually believe. Good to know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac