Sony Google TV controlling a Dish Network receiver in another room?

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
Here's my setup: I have a Dish Network 722 receiver in the living room, with the TV2 output running to the bedroom.
We just bought a 40-inch Sony Google TV for the bedroom, and hooked it up to the TV2 output (yeah, not high-def, but works for now).

The Sony TV is on the wireless network, and the Dish Network receiver in the living room is connected via ethernet to my wireless router.

I just read Engadget's review the Google TV, and found out that the Google TV communicates with the Dish Network receiver via the network, not HDMI as I had previously thought.

After all that preamble...
Does anyone know if the Google TV can communicate with the Dish Network receiver in another room?

It'd be great if I can ditch the RF dish network remote, and solely use the Sony Google TV remote to watch live TV.

I may end up just activating the Dish Network Google TV feature (and paying $4/month), and testing it to see if it works. Dunno how easy it is to cancel that feature if it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help! :)

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I too have a Dish receiver in another room (vip622) but use a Sony Bravia Wireless HD (DMXWL1) to wirelessly transmit my Dish signal to my bedroom.

In all the reading that I've done on both the Sony GTV and the Sony GTV BD player, and the Logitech Revue, I do not believe at all that you'll be wirelessly streaming your Dish DRV signal to the Sony GTV in your bedroom.

I think the $4 Dish fee gets you the ability to more thoroughly search content on your DVR (and external archiving hard drive if you have that), and I think if you connect the ethernet on the GTV product to the ethernet on your Dish DVR, remote control commands are comunicated/coordindated between the GTV product and the Dish Receiver via ethernet rather than IR. I'm not totally sure what that buys us yet, but I'm about to set up my Revue this morning. I'll probably not do the Dish $4 thing for a few days to see how it works w/o it, and then I'll have a baseline for what the $4 provides me.

xkwwwx

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
each google tv can only connect to one dish receiver at a time. you have to go into settings and setup each google tv to connect to the ip of the dvr you want it to see. you can set multiple profiles and switch between them, but you can only view av thought the receiver you hdmi cable it attatched to. hdmi is only providing the a/v stream. all search and advanced options go through the ip on your network router. each dvr will be assigned a seperate ip through your router's dhcp client server. in some cases you may have to assign a static dhcp ip to each dvr in your router to assure that your google tv will connect to the correct reciever after every dhcp timeout. the $4.00 charge is to allow your dvr the ability to connect to your google tv.

Last edited:

pinkyy8081

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I came across this post and I have to say, I love it! I actually work at DISH Network and it an easy set up and even easier to use! I would definitely recommend this product to people who are looking for something that has flawless performance with tons of options!

*Danielle

alejandrog9393

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sony Google TV controlling a Dish Network receiver in another

Hi,
ive been trying to connect my sony google tv remote with my VIP 722K DVR from dish network, and it wont let me. ive tried everything but it wont let me. can someone help me ? or do i have to pay the 4$ to dish network ?

donniegood

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Sony Google TV controlling a Dish Network receiver in another

Hi,
ive been trying to connect my sony google tv remote with my VIP 722K DVR from dish network, and it wont let me. ive tried everything but it wont let me. can someone help me ? or do i have to pay the 4$ to dish network ?

thats the only way i could get it to work, without fee it would do nothing and occasionally my live tv would show an annoying banner telling me to connect to it I must call dish and add on something blah blah blah