Sony Xperia Z5 Compact vs. Nexus 5X?

lazypapichulo

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact vs. Nexus 5X

Sometime within the next few months, I want to get my girlfriend a new smartphone. She currently has the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, which I got for her Christmas 2014.

I got her this phone because the only other smaller sized flagship smartphone that was out was the iPhone 6 (and she didn't want the iPhone). Every other top-shelf smartphone was (and still is) huge and unwieldy, and her small hands don't prefer that. So, based on all my research, I got her the Z3 Compact and she loved it.

The Z3 Compact's petite and colorful design, great battery life, and solid camera are all likable qualities about the phone. Overall, she likes it but the phone has not been perfect, by any means.

The magnetic charging port broke on her after using it for only a few weeks. Constantly having to open and close the flap on the side of the phone to charge it is annoying. And for some reason, the phone's location services and GPS do not work correctly.

Despite rebooting the phone, the phone was still giving her issues. So, we exchanged her phone for a new Xperia Z3 Compact directly from Sony (covered under the warranty). Yet, the phone's GPS still did not work properly.

And more recently, weird and random things have persistently been occurring. For example, her alarms only vibrate rather than project sound, even though she sets all her alarms on loud. The alarm's vibration still manage to wake up her up on time, but this should not be happening, either way.

So now, I want to upgrade her phone but I am not sure exactly what to get her. I want to get her the Xperia Z5 Compact because it's still the smallest flagship smartphone out there. She still doesn't want an iPhone lol.

The Z5 Compact seems to have rectified most of the flaws of the Z3 Compact (i.e. micro USB port is no longer covered with a silly flap and the phone remains "waterproof"). Nonetheless, I don't want to risk getting her another Xperia phone because it may yet again prove to be a somewhat broken smartphone experience.

At this point, I'm not sure what new phone to get her. Other than the Z5 Compact (maybe), there aren't any other smartphones that are as pocketable as the Xperia phones. So now, I'm just looking at other phones that come moderately close. I may consider getting her a Samsung Galaxy S6 (or S6 Edge), but I am also considering getting her the Nexus 5X.

The Nexus 5X is a reasonably priced phone that, while not as petite as the Z3 or Z5 Compact, is still fairly manageable to use with small hands. From my research, I've learned that it has a decent battery life (no where near as good as the Xperia phones, but most smartphones in general aren't as good with battery life), a pretty good camera, and quick software updates.

Even though my girlfriend is not a tech nerd like me and doesn't really care about the stock Android experience (she just wants a phone that simply works), the quick updates may help just in case some issues do arise with the Nexus 5X.

As you can see, I've done a lot of thinking and researching about this whole situation. If anybody can give me some input as to what phone I should get her and why, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sony Xperia Z5 Compact vs. Nexus 5X

The Nexus 5X is NOT a small phone.. I have a friend with a Note 5 and recently we compared the sizes..Believe it or not the 5X is not much smaller than it is.. I like the 5X but a small phone it is not and that's really my only gripe wit it. Well the print sensor being on the back is another gripe.. The 5X is a very nice device but if pocketability is a priority then look elsewhere..

I am very happy with my Z5C. I also had the Z3C and the 5C is a nice upgrade..

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah if size is the main thing the 5x is much bigger. Go to phone arena and do a size compare and you can see the difference visually.

Posted via the Android Central App

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

The Nexus 5X is NOT a small phone.. I have a friend with a Note 5 and recently we compared the sizes..Believe it or not the 5X is not much smaller than it is.. I like the 5X but a small phone it is not and that's really my only gripe wit it. Well the print sensor being on the back is another gripe.. The 5X is a very nice device but if pocketability is a priority then look elsewhere..

I am very happy with my Z5C. I also had the Z3C and the 5C is a nice upgrade..

This statement concerns me. I'm considering the Nexus 5x but hearing that it isn't small is kind of concerning.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

It's not a small phone which is a bummer. It's one of the few things I dislike about the Nexus 5X.

Here is a size comparison screenshot I took from phonearena.. The image shows the Nexus 5X -v- The Z5 Compact size comparison.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 41

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

It's not a small phone which is a bummer. It's one of the few things I dislike about the Nexus 5X.

Here is a size comparison screenshot I took from phonearena.. The image shows the Nexus 5X -v- The Z5 Compact size comparison.

Thank you for this. It makes for an interesting visual, and again, something to think about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello