Spotify

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone try spotify yet? I tried it back when it was first announced and it was garbage, so I unsubscribed. I just bought two of these watches, one for me and one for my wife, figuring that with the new partnership and a year later it would be less crappy. Wrong. It hasn't been updated in 10 months.

It's buggy, but I got it working. I'm hoping to find an alternative and cancel.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Its just buggy. No one specific issue. Says its playing when it's not. Freezes if you forget to put it on offline. Won't control the phone if you forget to put it on remote. Have to enable wifi always on in order to update a playlist., et cetera.

It's just not a well designed app for working out or remote use.

And it hasn't been updated since December 2017.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, once I learned those nuances it has been fine. I agree with you and hope that future updates will cleanup how it works in those areas.

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Having some issues with Spotify on my new Galaxy Watch LTE version. It automatically starts blaring music after every phone call (calls are initiated from phone S9+, not watch) and when Bixby is triggered on phone or watch. I imagine it has something to do with the opening/closing of the mic and/or speaker on my phone/watch. Did a complete factory reset and still have the same issue. The only way to stop is to log out of Spotify completely which obviously defeats one of the draws of even having this watch. Anyone have similar issues? Suggestions???

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Having some issues with Spotify on my new Galaxy Watch LTE version. It automatically starts blaring music after every phone call (calls are initiated from phone S9+, not watch) and when Bixby is triggered on phone or watch. I imagine it has something to do with the opening/closing of the mic and/or speaker on my phone/watch. Did a complete factory reset and still have the same issue. The only way to stop is to log out of Spotify completely which obviously defeats one of the draws of even having this watch. Anyone have similar issues? Suggestions???

I suggest doing what I did. Delete spotify, buy the workout tracks you want from Amazon, put them on your watch, and don't give them any more money.

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
I just may be leaning towards doing exactly that. Spotify does not work at all when tethered to phone. Not a deal breaker for me.. I only want to use at the gym and on runs. Neither have wifi so I'm stuck with LTE or offline mode. LTE- absolute garbage sounding trash. Stream is ultra low quality and unlistenable and I am no audiophile. DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH THINKING YOU CAN STREAM SPOTIFY OVER LTE.. YOU WILL BE SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED! Offline mode- works! and sounds pretty decent! The problems start again when re-tethered to your phone. Spotify automatically opens and plays regularly with normal use of your phone...after EVER phone call! You have to log out of Spotify completely to stop this. It is a royal pain in the *** to disconnect from phone and re-log into Spotify every time you want to use it.. it probably takes me at least two minutes to input my credential from the sorry excuse for a keyboard. It is maddening that this watch is advertised as having an integrated Spotify app. Samsung should be ashamed of it in its current form.

Last edited:

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I just may be leaning towards doing exactly that. Spotify does not work at all when tethered to phone. Not a deal breaker for me.. I only want to use at the gym and on runs. Neither have wifi so I'm stuck with LTE or offline mode. LTE- absolute garbage sounding trash. Stream is ultra low quality and unlistenable and I am no audiophile. DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH THINKING YOU CAN STREAM SPOTIFY OVER LTE.. YOU WILL BE SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED! Offline mode- works! and sounds pretty decent! The problems start again when re-tethered to your phone. Spotify automatically opens and plays regularly with normal use of your phone...after EVER phone call! You have to log out of Spotify completely to stop this. It is a royal pain in the *** to disconnect from phone and re-log into Spotify every time you want to use it.. it probably takes me at least two minutes to input my credential from the sorry excuse for a keyboard. It is maddening that this watch is advertised as having an integrated Spotify app. Samsung should be ashamed of it in its current form.

It's been like this for months. This is Samsung, always something stupid, always some detail that doesn't get ironed out. But... the good news is that you don't have to use it in order to get music

I thought it would be nice for my wife to quit listening to the same 20 songs every workout, so I got us the service. But it just isn't feasible when every time she gets a phone call, the watch plays music.

And it isn't like spotify support said "I'm sorry, we are working on it". I don't think they are people. I think they are bots, because they give the same unrelated, stupid troubleshooting that has nothing to do with the issue. And uninstalling and reinstalling the app is a huge pain, and can cause problems on other devices if your device li is it is reached with the repeat login.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I got an email from spotify

Can you try this for me, I don't have my wife's watch to confirm

Go to settings, apps. Is auto open apps toggled? If so, turn it off and try declining a phone call

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Interestingly enough, the "auto open apps" was toggled off. Being in the app settings menu, I noticed a permissions option. Went into Spotify and revoked the Microphone permission and it seems to have stopped autoplay after a call. At least temporarily. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

Last edited:

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Not doubting you, but can anyone else confirm this? The main reason I want to purchase this watch is to stream Spotify over the watch LTE. Can you adjust quality settings?

Also, I have a scenario question... My gym has wifi, so if I leave my phone at home, can I program my watch to auto sync to my gyms WIFI without having my phone on me? Then do calls and texts come through WIFI or through LTE? Sorry, confused on how that works. Bottom line it sounds like I could then stream Spotify through WIFI at better quality? I want to leave my phone at home.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough, the "auto open apps" was toggled off. Being in the app settings menu, I noticed a permissions option. Went into Spotify and revoked the Microphone permission and it seems to have stopped autoplay after a call. At least temporarily. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

Awesome. Still a garbage app. If it takes people like us this much work, do they really think normal people will use this???

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Not doubting you, but can anyone else confirm this? The main reason I want to purchase this watch is to stream Spotify over the watch LTE. Can you adjust quality settings?

Also, I have a scenario question... My gym has wifi, so if I leave my phone at home, can I program my watch to auto sync to my gyms WIFI without having my phone on me? Then do calls and texts come through WIFI or through LTE? Sorry, confused on how that works. Bottom line it sounds like I could then stream Spotify through WIFI at better quality? I want to leave my phone at home.

I'm interested in getting a better quality stream on LTE too so welcome feedback from others. I just don't see any setting available to achieve this.

Yes, you can setup the gym WiFi network provided it's b/g/n. Calls and text only come through LTE when not connected to phone via Bluetooth, never WiFi. It seems for Spotify to work, the phone cannot be connected via BT to your phone which is fine since your intention is to leave it at home. Therefore, you should be able receive calls and texts over LTE while theoretically streaming Spotify via WiFi. I haven't tried this yet given all of the other difficulties I've had with the app but will give it a try later tonight.

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Confirmed this does, in fact, work. Set WiFi and LTE in watch connection settings both to always on (they are mutually exclusive) then in Spotify set to Stream Over WiFi. Music plays well and calls and texts come through. Viable option but likely to be battery intensive so wouldn't want to do it all day.

Ugh, but somehow the Microphone permission is somehow auto-toggling back on for Spotify resulting in the unwanted autoplays after phone calls. Revoked it again and now all is well. I don't expect it to last long.

If for nothing else, I hope this gives you a sense of what a royal mess the Spotify experience is on this watch so far.

Edit: It's apparently not only the permission setting because now I am back to getting auto-plays after calls with the mic permission toggle stuck on off. At least there is some entertainment value in this comically bad app, unfortunately it has little to do with music.

Last edited:

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Confirmed this does, in fact, work. Set WiFi and LTE in watch connection settings both to always on (they are mutually exclusive) then in Spotify set to Stream Over WiFi. Music plays well and calls and texts come through. Viable option but likely to be battery intensive so wouldn't want to do it all day.

Ugh, but somehow the Microphone permission is somehow auto-toggling back on for Spotify resulting in the unwanted autoplays after phone calls. Revoked it again and now all is well. I don't expect it to last long.

If for nothing else, I hope this gives you a sense of what a royal mess the Spotify experience is on this watch so far.

Edit: It's apparently not only the permission setting because now I am back to getting auto-plays after calls with the mic permission toggle stuck on off. At least there is some entertainment value in this comically bad app, unfortunately it has little to do with music.

First off, thank you for the information - I appreciate that you followed through with what you said. Thanks for running the test. In an ideal situation I would have liked to set the LTE and WIFI to "Auto", and leave for my run (watch connects to LTE)... When I get to the gym, I would have hoped the watch/Spotify would "auto" connect to the WIFI.

I wonder if it's just easier to download 2 or 3 playlists and call it a day? Using the watch Spotify for offline music... Honestly, I really only have 2 or 3 playlists that I listen to when I workout.

Bottom line I'm trying to justify having the LTE version of the watch. I thought if I can stay connected and stream Spotify it would be worth it. But if it sounds like garbage and auto plays, that sounds like more of a hassle than anything.