Sprint 2.1 leak

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Got error wiping Ext/SD but tried to install again. Now I get an error.
E:Can't chown/mod /data/app
(No such file or directory)
E:Failure at line 388:
set_perm 1000 1000 0771 DATA:app

Installation aborted

Am I supposed to be wiping using the phone recovery mode or is there another way?

You just found a bug.

Gimme 10 minutes.

It's uploading now. To explain -
The script that runs makes sure to copy and set the permissions on all the directories in the file system. I forgot to include a zero size placeholder in the /data folder, so nothing copied. The installer can't set permissions on something that didn;t copy :)

Give it a few minutes, then download the newer signed-CL157175_1.zip as soon as I get the first post updated

Last edited:

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
you're good, everything should stay. Only necessary backup of the entire fat32 partition is if you are going to partition the sd card.

i think i will just to be safe. must also remember to remove the battle.net authenticator from my account b4 i run this

edders

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
You just found a bug.

Gimme 10 minutes.

Just to update...
I could not perform the EXT/SD and Devik(?) wipes on the phone. I removed the card, deleted everything, formatted card in the recover screen utility, put the ROM back on and was able to perform all wipes. Thought ROM would install then but it never with the same error message.
Removed the battery and tried again. Wipe all, run install and this time it completed the install with no errors.
Now it just HANGS on the "HTC quietly brilliant" screen :(

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Just to update...
I could not perform the EXT/SD and Devik(?) wipes on the phone. I removed the card, deleted everything, formatted card in the recover screen utility, put the ROM back on and was able to perform all wipes. Thought ROM would install then but it never with the same error message.
Removed the battery and tried again. Wipe all, run install and this time it completed the install with no errors.
Now it just HANGS on the "HTC quietly brilliant" screen :(

Its going to take like 10 minutes to install
You can tell if its doing something if you have the SDK installed
Windows:
cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools\
adb logcat

Mac:
cd /users/USER NAME/android-sdk-mac_86/tools
./adb logcat

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So by install you mean when I reboot the phone and I "hang" at the white HTC screen it is most likely installing?

it could be. It'll be white for a while
also, hope you had decent battery. it doesn't eat it up, but this isn't something you want to do on 20% battery as it doesn't charge while it boots. If the orange light comes on sometime later before it does anything else, this is a good sign, almost done loading.
If the logcat is spitting out stuff, then its still installing. You don't have to know what its saying, as long at its still talking.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So by install you mean when I reboot the phone and I "hang" at the white HTC screen it is most likely installing?

also, hope you had decent battery. it doesn't eat it up, but this isn't something you want to do on 20% battery as it doesn't charge while it boots. If the orange light comes on sometime later before it does anything else, this is a good sign, almost done loading.
If the logcat is spitting out stuff, then its still installing. You don't have to know what its saying, as long at its still talking.

Another good sign is if you only see the Sprint animation once.

A normal boot will be White "quietly brilliant" screen for 30 seconds or so, then the Sprint animation, then "quietly brilliant" again for a while. If you see Sprint twice, you're boot looping and it's stuck.

edders

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes my battery was fine but I'll plug it in just in case.
As I type this strange things are happening....it just sprang in to action.
Firmware 2.1-update 1
Thanks for all your help.
I'm off to see what this does.
Thanks again
Ed

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes my battery was fine but I'll plug it in just in case.
As I type this strange things are happening....it just sprang in to action.
Firmware 2.1-update 1
Thanks for all your help.
I'm off to see what this does.
Thanks again
Ed

no problema, just trying to help out.

soxfan2003#AC

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't see that much difference in speed from my 1.5 but it seems most of the cool toys are there. Live wallpapers are not there but I did notice that after i unlock it clouds appear on my screen and then disappear (I assume because it's cloudy here) so that is pretty cool. I'm a newbie here and just rooted a while ago and saw the same problems most are seeing. I had problems installing the USB driver and had to go to device manager and saw the exclamation point and installed driver there, and i also had the problem aborting the install because the sd card doesn't have the data/app folder. I restarted and then tried again and it worked. I also got stuck on the htc screen but pulled battery and rebooted and it went fine after that.

A quick question here though. I installed set CPU (first time rooter here but long time lurker) and it gives me an error that I'm not rooted. I assume I am or I wouldn't have been able to install the zip file off the sd card correct???? Any info to help?
Thanks everyone

spj

Android Custom Creations
Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
thanks buddy i was hoping you get back to the game i love your work...i will install it when i get home in a few.:)

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't see that much difference in speed from my 1.5 but it seems most of the cool toys are there. Live wallpapers are not there but I did notice that after i unlock it clouds appear on my screen and then disappear (I assume because it's cloudy here) so that is pretty cool. I'm a newbie here and just rooted a while ago and saw the same problems most are seeing. I had problems installing the USB driver and had to go to device manager and saw the exclamation point and installed driver there, and i also had the problem aborting the install because the sd card doesn't have the data/app folder. I restarted and then tried again and it worked. I also got stuck on the htc screen but pulled battery and rebooted and it went fine after that.

A quick question here though. I installed set CPU (first time rooter here but long time lurker) and it gives me an error that I'm not rooted. I assume I am or I wouldn't have been able to install the zip file off the sd card correct???? Any info to help?
Thanks everyone

Which one did you use, 1, 2 or 3? 1 can be done on an unrooted phone. 2 and 3 require root and custom recovery image. I installed cachemate, a root only app and it works fine. gbhil is also working on a flashable zip that will contain SU permissions (will pop up asking you if you want to give an app root access), wifi tether, a root only app and something. I sent him some goodies that may or may not be in there as well. The nexus 1 3d gallery works, but has to be pushed to the phone. You can get livewallpapers to work, but you lose sense, and its a lot of steps.

soxfan2003#AC

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I used method number 2 to install. I followed all the instructions I'm pretty sure. It does say i have 2.1 on there. Is there a way to tell if it's rooted properly? Or because i was able to install using method 2 do i assume it's correct? I'm surprised set CPU is giving me an error

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I used method number 2 to install. I followed all the instructions I'm pretty sure. It does say i have 2.1 on there. Is there a way to tell if it's rooted properly? Or because i was able to install using method 2 do i assume it's correct? I'm surprised set CPU is giving me an error

Setcpu won't work with this. The kernel is not built to correctly scale the CPU, and will stay that way until we get the kernel source. I predict July lol.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=71085#post71085

Some add-ons that everyone should look at. Also will be added to first post.

soxfan2003#AC

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Perfect...thanks! I'm glad that you guys are around to help. Everything was easy and pretty much straight forward. It didn't go exactly smooth but the end result is great

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacyverse