Sprint's New "Framily" (Friends and Family) Plan

Stephen Purtell

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It seriously might depend on who you go to. Why he had problems I don't know. Because you should have separate accounts. Truly that doesn't make sense but then again I'm not in your shoes. We switched over with ease and put in our account as we wanted with no extra fees. It took us maybe 15 minutes

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
How about buying a new phone, do you guys still get the subsidized price?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

born2ride41

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sprint's New "Framily" (Friends and Family) Plan

Glad it's not just me.. many people seem to be excited about this Framily plan though.. It's an even worse deal now that I found out the 23% employee discount I get through my employer is only applied to the data buy up on the Framily plan, so my current $240 plan really only costs me about $215 after my employee discount... a far cry from the $275 + monthly phone financing charges with Framily. The employee discount would be reduced from about $25 to about $10... even less if I don't buy the $20 unlimited data buy up.

I wonder if this isn't also a tactic to try and reduce the lost revenue in employee discounts as well. Seems the discount has applied to less and less over the years. When I started with my company the discounts applied to my entire plan costs, now reduced to just the initial line/plan costs, and with Framily reduced down to applying to only the data buy up.

Just feels like Sprint is using this as a way to offer less phone discounts through eliminating phone subsidizing, and less application of employee discounts to their plans as well structuring the data separate from the unlimited plans as well. They haven't reduced their per line costs enough yet to make me consider going to purchasing phones outright or financing them. Subsidies for me are still a better deal since I use them as soon as they are availble to me when my 2yr contract is up.

T-Mobile however has it about right in their pricing after removing their subsidy charges in the plan pricing. Their plan rates are great. For 5 lines w/unlimited data, the cost would only be $210, and I bet I could knock $20-30 off that going with the 2.5Gb data plans on a few lines. Plus T-Mobile will apply my work discount to the entire bill, not just the data buy ups either... Sprint maybe knocked off $5 per line from their plan pricing, but pushed a $15-20 per month charge on to their customers instead by removing the subsidies, and trying to market it as a great "no contract" deal with a funny name..

If I didn't have to travel so often into many areas across rural MN and WI where there is zero T-mobile service or only 2g data coverage, i'd swap to T-Mobile based on their no-nonsense approach to plans, pricing, and website ease of use. I think Voice coverage on every carrier will be pretty much the same, but the data coverage for T-Mobile just ins't there yet. It may be faster than sprint when you can get thier 4G, but at least for now with Sprint I get 3g or 4g data just about everywhere I need it, alhtough sometimes very slow. But at least I have the data and it's useable, unlike some of the zero coverage or unuseably slow 2g or worse data on T-Mobile outside of the larger city areas.

I've been with Sprint about 14 years now, and they have just always been the carrier I love to hate.... I'm never 100% happy with Sprint but they do just enough to string me along. Just when you think the new plan options are going to be great, I run the numbers and they fall short of the value being marketed. Most of the time because I hang onto these older legacy plans for a while rather than just jumping to the next exciting plan option.. most new plan options end up costing more to existing customers. Framily is a good example... It would cost me more to get the same thing I have now, although I would LOVE to add 1 more line to my account to cover my dad. Sprint tops out at 5 lines on their shared plans. Framily sounds like a great option and only $30 a line for 6 members! Until you do the math, add in the data add ups, and the monthly device financing charges, it's cheaper to keep what I have, and get pops a trackphone... grrrr....

T-Mobile however has got my attention, and if they can get some better coverage, they will be worth a look.

Just my rant for today.. :)

Not sure where u are located but where I am tmobile blos sprint away!!! I get faster data speeds with tmobile then on my Wifi at home and the call quality is superb again depending on where u are but I was in Grand Rapids a couple weeks ago and they have great sprint coverage Lte and all that and the call quality still doesn't compare nor the 5m download speeds with a full lte signal.I am now a tmobile customer thanks to the etf promotion right now....couldn't be happier

Sent from my C6916 using AC Forums mobile app

tjboge513

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That sounds good but, do you get unlimited data on all the phones?

No, we don't have unlimited data, but we didn't have it with the other plan either. I believe that 3gb is $10.00 extra per line. $20.00 if you want unlimited data plus yearly upgrades.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
No, we don't have unlimited data, but we didn't have it with the other plan either. I believe that 3gb is $10.00 extra per line. $20.00 if you want unlimited data plus yearly upgrades.

Unlimited data is a must for us since we all have LTE phones with very good coverage and each of us uses 2-5 gigs per month.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

So how does the yearly upgrade work if you pay the $20 on a line? I assume it's not as much as like the subsidized upgrades now, it's more of a trade-in current phone and finance a new one, correct?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
So how does the yearly upgrade work if you pay the $20 on a line? I assume it's not as much as like the subsidized upgrades now, it's more of a trade-in current phone and finance a new one, correct?

Unfortunately that's probably the case. 😞

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice! Parents bill came in..

Before.. 177 after taxes... Now 124 after taxes.

That's with the same plan (unlimited talk, text, and 1 GB of data)... Just before they were on the my way.. Now on the framily.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

tjboge513

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I know that you trade in your current phone for the new one. I also believe that you have to have the old one paid off. Although I could be wrong about that.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I know that you trade in your current phone for the new one. I also believe that you have to have the old one paid off. Although I could be wrong about that.

Actually, after 12 months of payments, you give back that phone and then start over with a new phone and new monthly payments.

Mav. :cool:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
There are sites and forums out in the ether that caters to those who have Framily openings and to those who want to fill the Framily openings.
It is amazing how easy it is to quickly max out to 10 members of a Framily.
I did and am now enjoying $25.00 per line.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
There are sites and forums out in the ether that caters to those who have Framily openings and to those who want to fill the Framily openings.
It is amazing how easy it is to quickly max out to 10 members of a Framily.
I did and am now enjoying $25.00 per line.

Yes you all get separate bills, and know nothing (important) about each other. I signed up for it last week, and the corporate retailer had just started a "Framily" with new customers. He was basically just adding customers to it as they signed up. I was the 2nd one. I know the first name of the first one was Linda, but nothing else! Hopefully by the time I get my first bill it will be $25.

trebor949

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I just tried to join someones family plan and was told that because i was with sprint longer than 3 months i cannot join someone else s plan. ( I have been with sprint for 13 years ....:( sad). Has anyone else encountered this ... again it is not in the fine print anywhere on the sprint site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid