Still under warranty: how likely is the manufacturer to know that it was liquid damage?

PenguinLust

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
First of all, even I don't know if it was liquid damage. It did get wet, but I don't know how wet. I followed the protocols for drying it (turning it off, opening it up, putting it beside a dehumidifier, etc.) and it didn't have any problems at first, but since then some have developed and diagnostics indicate that it's hardware problems. It has another few weeks on its warranty, so if I send it in under warranty, how likely are they to see that it was caused by liquid damage?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Phones have moisture detection tags that permanently change color when they get wet. Depending on how thorough you were drying it and the extent of the damage, there may also be leftover residue, water spots corrosion, etc. inside. All I can say is good luck, but don't get your hopes up.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Last I knew most phones have several little stickers/tags within them that are white and turn a reddish pink when exposed to moisture. If there was enough moisture to cause damage it's like there is corrosion inside the device as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? You could always send it in -- if they find that there was truly moisture damage, they should let you know, and typically ask if you want them to repair it on your dime, or just send it back to you. You might have to pay for the return shipping, though.

PenguinLust

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
It's a Moto G Power. Is that moisture detection tag going to be visible to me w/out voiding my warranty? Googling '"moto g power" moisture tag' indicates that there is such a thing, but not specifically for that model.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

Sorry, I'm not sure about what kind of moisture detection that phone might have.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Take the sim card tray out look if any white strip there , but the manufacturer can tell upon further looking into it so if any evidence your warranty is voided.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It's a Moto G Power. Is that moisture detection tag going to be visible to me w/out voiding my warranty? Googling '"moto g power" moisture tag' indicates that there is such a thing, but not specifically for that model.

Location depends on phone model but I used to work at a Verizon store that handled phone repairs(2012-2016) and there was often several indicators. When removable batteries were a thing it was common for one to be visible by the battery, once they began sealing the phones it was often in the SIM tray. There would also usually be one inside the phone somewhere on the logic board which isn't visible without tearing the phone apart.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Location depends on phone model but I used to work at a Verizon store that handled phone repairs(2012-2016) and there was often several indicators. When removable batteries were a thing it was common for one to be visible by the battery, once they began sealing the phones it was often in the SIM tray. There would also usually be one inside the phone somewhere on the logic board which isn't visible without tearing the phone apart.
Pretty much how they have it set-up

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
First of all, even I don't know if it was liquid damage. It did get wet, but I don't know how wet. I followed the protocols for drying it (turning it off, opening it up, putting it beside a dehumidifier, etc.) and it didn't have any problems at first, but since then some have developed and diagnostics indicate that it's hardware problems. It has another few weeks on its warranty, so if I send it in under warranty, how likely are they to see that it was caused by liquid damage?

Even if it is water damaged, they may offer to upgrade you to a new phone, for a reduced price, as a customer satisfaction courtesy. It never hurts to try ;)

PenguinLust

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I've looked at prices for the Moto G Power and they aren't worth that much. So if I sent it off and then look at paying to have it repaired and, one way or the other, paying for shipping, then I'd be throwing good money after bad. And I'm also worried that this is a degenerative disease and things are going to get worse and worse until it's no longer usable.

Ugh, it looks like this isn't he kind of phone that opens or I would be voiding my warranty. So I guess I didn't open it to dry it off; I just removed the shell. I've looked in the sim card hole with a flashlight and magnifying glass and I don't see anything that looks like this sort of tag. Looking at the sim card tray, I don't suppose you can see anything in these.

So this makes trying for a warranty job even trickier. Now, if I can have someone locally looking at it, in real-time, w/out having to ship anything, that would be less risky.

Attachments

• IMG_20220905_120533.jpg
    IMG_20220905_120533.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220905_120640.jpg
    IMG_20220905_120640.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 9

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member