Stock browser or chrome?

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I've always used Dolphin as my primary browser on my Note 3 but based on comments here I'll be giving the stock browser a chance on the new phone.

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
If I had to choose between Chrome or Samsung stock browser it would be the stock browser since it has the ad blocker plugin and allows me to use fingerprints for passwords. Otherwise I would use Opera Mini since it allows me to block ads, download videos from websites (no YouTube), and allows me to get rid off the status bar at the top (not really a big feature though).

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Nothing offence, but that's just stupid. Sure stock apps can be bad, but not using them just because they are stock is wrong.

I was a chrome guy, until recently, but I realized that I rarely cross platform sync, so that part of chrome is worthless. This website and forum would fight with me, and it turns out it was the ads that locked up chrome. Stock browser ad blocking has been a joy, and I gotta say, I'm falling in love with fingerprint passwords.
I've used OEM stock apps on several phones in the past. Google's apps tend to be updated more frequently to stay in line with where android is going, sync with each other (and other devices) better, and look nicer (subjective). The only thing that interests me about Samsung's browser is the ad block, but I'm so deeply ingrained in chrome on my other devices, that losing that link is not worth it for ad block.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, thanks for that reminder. Yet another reason for me to try the Samsung browser.

How does that work though? For example, if I need to login to ... Android Central, we'll say. I need to enter my login and password the first time, I assume. Browsers can be set to remember logins/passwords for sites anyway, so I assume the Samsung browser can (correct me if I am wrong). So how would having fingerprint login help me with Android Central in this instance? I must be missing something...

Can anyone who uses the Samsung browser explain how fingerprint logins work, based on my question above?

gogoplata1980

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone who uses the Samsung browser explain how fingerprint logins work, based on my question above?

It's basically as you said.

You initially log in and then it will ask if you want to sign in with fingerprints.The next time sign-in is needed, apply your thumb, and, voila!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's basically as you said.

You initially log in and then it will ask if you want to sign in with fingerprints.The next time sign-in is needed, apply your thumb, and, voila!

Thanks. The thing is that on most sites on my current browser, once I sign in the first time, it remembers my info, so there is no need to sign in again.

I guess this fingerprint sign-in is helpful only when you don't want to stay signed in to a site, but don't want to type your username/password all the time. I think I am starting to see. OK, this is not quite as useful to me as it might be to some others I believe, but it still sounds like a really nice option to have.

gogoplata1980

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. The thing is that on most sites on my current browser, once I sign in the first time, it remembers my info, so there is no need to sign in again.

I guess this fingerprint sign-in is helpful only when you don't want to stay signed in to a site, but don't want to type your username/password all the time. I think I am starting to see. OK, this is not quite as useful to me as it might be to some others I believe, but it still sounds like a really nice option to have.

I think you're mostly spot-on. I'm having trouble remembering exactly how it worked for me when I initially used it. Overall, you've pretty much nailed it.

Like, most sites that I visit don't ask again because I've told it not to. However, in circumstances like PayPal, I use my fingerprint and it works. Just as you described.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you're mostly spot-on. I'm having trouble remembering exactly how it worked for me when I initially used it. Overall, you've pretty much nailed it.

Like, most sites that I visit don't ask again because I've told it not to. However, in circumstances like PayPal, I use my fingerprint and it works. Just as you described.

Paypal is a good example. Thanks, that helps.

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Dose anyone know of a easy way to import bookmarks from chrome to the samsung browser? I know you can have your bookmarks synced from phone to phone by using a samsung account, but I haven't found a easy way to move my bookmarks from chrome to the samsung browser. Would be nice to do on my S5 before my Note 7 gets here today.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by that? I use FF daily and it works like a charm.
Check and see how much memory Firefox is using compared to Chrome. Opening a few tabs and you see that Firefox uses twice the RAM as Chrome. So, while Firefox may work like a charm, it is a bigger pig on resources than Chrome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thicha Jairat