Strange ringtone from my PC speakers when receiving a call

xpendragon0711

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm just sitting at my PC, browsing whatever, and all of a sudden I hear a tone coming from my speakers, and a couple seconds later, my One starts ringing. The ringtone from my PC was unlike anything I have on my phone, just a few simple tones. My phone is not in any way connected to my PC, no Bluetooth, no USB, no anything. What the heck is going on?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm just sitting at my PC, browsing whatever, and all of a sudden I hear a tone coming from my speakers, and a couple seconds later, my One starts ringing. The ringtone from my PC was unlike anything I have on my phone, just a few simple tones. My phone is not in any way connected to my PC, no Bluetooth, no USB, no anything. What the heck is going on?

The emergency broadcast system maybe?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's perfectly normal and quite common. It sounds like a race horse approaching, doesn't it? Don't be scared, but that's the 'radiation' from the radio signals going into and out of your phone. Depending on the insulation on your speaker cables, the surrounding equipment that's also transmitting radio waves, and how close the phone is to them, the incoming call signal induces that noise on the speakers. Usually, the longer the speaker cable, the more susceptible it is to this type of noise. The most common equipment you can 'hear' these tones are typical land lines (when in a call, place the cellphone near the base and have someone call you) and car radios, especially when using an AUX line.

xpendragon0711

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Let me clarify. This was a normal sounding ringtone, not some type of interference. It was not a ringtone that on my One, however. The incoming call was from my wife.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oooh, so not the usual 'tap tap tap taptaptaptap'... Gotcha. It still sounds like 'crosstalk' thoguh, sort of like when you pick up your phone and you're listening to someone else's conversation... Or some website just played an audio file at the right time?

Has it done it again?

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I used to have this same issue when I was with AT&T years ago. If my phone was anywhere near my PC I would get a ring tone coming through the PC speakers just before my phone would ring. I also would get an occasional Morse code sound every 30 minutes or so through the PC speakers. I dumped AT&T due to constant dropped calls and other issues and the problem went away. I don't think it was harmful. Just weird.

Davethebrewer

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you use Google Voice?

If you do and are logged into your associated Google account on your PC the call may ring in Google Talk on your PC (depends on your settings). I have found that incoming calls usually ring once or twice on my PC before the first ring on my cell.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I used to have this same issue when I was with AT&T years ago. If my phone was anywhere near my PC I would get a ring tone coming through the PC speakers just before my phone would ring. I also would get an occasional Morse code sound every 30 minutes or so through the PC speakers. I dumped AT&T due to constant dropped calls and other issues and the problem went away. I don't think it was harmful. Just weird.

The 'Morse code' is what I meant originally. This is quite common and the closer you are to a cell tower, the closer the phone is to the cables, etc., the louder (or present) the tone is.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Do you use Google Voice?

If you do and are logged into your associated Google account on your PC the call may ring in Google Talk on your PC (depends on your settings). I have found that incoming calls usually ring once or twice on my PC before the first ring on my cell.
I'm sorry I don't know if you were asking me or the original poster. But no I don't use Google Voice.

kf2m

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Your speakers use unshielded wire. The wire is acting like an antenna and picking up RF from one of your phones transmitters. Common problem. Blackberries were notorious for doing that when pinging the tower or receiving a call.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Davethebrewer

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry I don't know if you were asking me or the original poster. But no I don't use Google Voice.

I was asking the OP since they said the PC speakers sounded like a ringtone, I have heard the older GSM style (or whatever came before GSM on ATT) interference and to me it doesn't sound like a real ringtone. OP seems to have never responded anyway.