Stuck in Power Savings mode, keyboard doesn't come up to enter password!

A

AC Question

I have a Verizon Note 5. I recently updated to Nougat. I was running low on battery and it prompted me to turn on the power savings mode. It gave me options like reduce screen resolution, brightness, background services etc.. and how much time you'll be gaining by reducing those. I selected all and saved it. Now it became like the "Ultra" power saving mode. I locked and unlocked the device and the fingerprint feature was missing. It's asks for the password (which I know) but the keyboard (I use Swiftkey) won't come up! I'm unable to enter the password and unlock the device. I'm stuck in the Ultra power saving mode.

I was able to pull down the top menu (that has options like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Power Saving etc.) on the lock screen and I tried to disable Power Saving mode but it again prompts for the password with no way to enter the password as there is no freaking keyboard.

Any suggestions?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I would try booting into safe mode and then disabling the ultra power saver. IIRC, the ultra power saving mode disables third-party apps. I'm not sure why it doesn't then use the default keyboard though. At any rate, safe mode will boot the phone into a mode that uses just default settings and the preloaded apps. Nothing else gets loaded. Don't worry, all your apps and data are still there, and will be available when you exit safe mode.

Here's a guide from Verizon on getting into safe mode.

For some reason, the regular link feature isn't working on this one. Copy this into your browser:
"https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-175654/"

Another possibility would be to clear the system cache. This clears the system's operating memory. Similar to wiping all of your Windows TEMP files and rebooting. Here's how to do that. This is from T-Mobile, but the process is the same for your Verizon phone.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-27659

Be careful on this one -- it's possible to completely wipe your device (factory data reset) on this menu. Pay attention and take your time.

Last edited:

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon Note 5. I recently updated to Nougat. I was running low on battery and it prompted me to turn on the power savings mode. It gave me options like reduce screen resolution, brightness, background services etc.. and how much time you'll be gaining by reducing those. I selected all and saved it. Now it became like the "Ultra" power saving mode. I locked and unlocked the device and the fingerprint feature was missing. It's asks for the password (which I know) but the keyboard (I use Swiftkey) won't come up! I'm unable to enter the password and unlock the device. I'm stuck in the Ultra power saving mode.

I was able to pull down the top menu (that has options like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Power Saving etc.) on the lock screen and I tried to disable Power Saving mode but it again prompts for the password with no way to enter the password as there is no freaking keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Did you somehow disable the Samsung keyboard?

ynag

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thanks underway99 for your response. I was able to get into the Safe mode using your link but the phone is still in the Ultra power saving mode (UPSM). I do see "Safe Mode" text in the bottom left of the screen but the keyboard won't come up on the password field. :(

Hi jeremyds45, I do have a Package Disabler and I MAY have disabled the default Samsung keyboard. Is there any way out other than a factory reset? I booted into the recovery mode and was able to get to ADB "sideload" mode but not the regular/usb mode. I couldn't push anything to the device. I can take calls and only make calls from the ICE contacts (through Emergency option on the lock screen).

I have downloaded N920VVRS3BQA1_N920VVZW3BQA1_N920VVRS3BQA1_HOME which I believe is the last Android 6.0 firmware. If I flash this via Odin, is the data wiped out? Is there any way I can at least get the data back?

Or can I get one of those micro usb to female usb cable and plugin a physical keyboard on the lock screen? Would that work? I just need a way to enter password.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You would lose your data if you reflash the older software. You may be able to keep it if you just reload the OS that's already on there. I don't remember for sure -- I've not used ODIN for a long time. Make sure you have a backup of your documents, photos, etc.

Before trying that though, try clearing the system cache. Your next option if that doesn't work is to reset the phone with the Factory Data Reset. That will wipe everything from your phone, including the SwiftKey keyboard. If you go that route, don't restore from the cloud backup. If your issue is caused by an app or system setting, you could end up putting it right back on the phone.

Unless you're having system issues, reflashing the OS is probably the last thing on your list.

Last edited:

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks underway99 for your response. I was able to get into the Safe mode using your link but the phone is still in the Ultra power saving mode (UPSM). I do see "Safe Mode" text in the bottom left of the screen but the keyboard won't come up on the password field. :(

Hi jeremyds45, I do have a Package Disabler and I MAY have disabled the default Samsung keyboard. Is there any way out other than a factory reset? I booted into the recovery mode and was able to get to ADB "sideload" mode but not the regular/usb mode. I couldn't push anything to the device. I can take calls and only make calls from the ICE contacts (through Emergency option on the lock screen).

I have downloaded N920VVRS3BQA1_N920VVZW3BQA1_N920VVRS3BQA1_HOME which I believe is the last Android 6.0 firmware. If I flash this via Odin, is the data wiped out? Is there any way I can at least get the data back?

Or can I get one of those micro usb to female usb cable and plugin a physical keyboard on the lock screen? Would that work? I just need a way to enter password.

You may find something, but factory reset is what I'm thinking. Which really stinks

ynag

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
underway99, I did try wiping out the cache but it still has no effect. You mentioned I should take a backup when going thru the ODIN route. How do backup if my phone is stuck in this mode?

I've ordered an OTG cable so I plugin a physical keyboard. That is my last option. If that doesn't work, I'll try flashing the same firmware that is currently on there (Nougat) hoping it will keep the data. With the OTG cable, I can plugin an SD card and there is an option in the Recovery mode to update via SD card. Any chances there?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Aside from using ADB, I can't think of a way to make a backup of your stuff. You may already have your docs, photos and such backed up. Check your Google Drive or whatever cloud you use to store your files.

I just connected a wired keyboard to my locked Note 5 and I was able to type a password and get into the device. I don't know for sure if that functionality goes away when the default keyboard (and may it's driver or service) is disabled.

Karim Gosen

Nov 26, 2018
Visit site
Aside from using ADB, I can't think of a way to make a backup of your stuff. You may already have your docs, photos and such backed up. Check your Google Drive or whatever cloud you use to store your files.

I just connected a wired keyboard to my locked Note 5 and I was able to type a password and get into the device. I don't know for sure if that functionality goes away when the default keyboard (and may it's driver or service) is disabled.

im using the Note 9, and Im having the exact same issue, its not possible to use an external keyboard, it will give you a promp saying that some usb functions are not supported in power saving mode.
im stuck, if somebody know a solution, please share it, thanks :p