SU not working for newly added "root" apps

Montclair

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Phone: Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, unlocked and rooted
Version: ICS Stock 4.0.4 OTA

I was unlocked and rooted running stock 4.0.1 and ran the OTA and used Voodoo OTA RootKeeper to restore root. It worked and was confirmed with Root Check Basic.

Last night Voodoo OTA RootKeeper upgraded, but it did not show that I had root.

I then ran Root Check Basic and it said I was not rooted. I can still run ROM Manager and make nandroid backups, run Wi-Fi Tether, Titanium Backup, and other root only apps, so I must be rooted.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (there are check marks for superuser app installed, Device rooted, but not for superuser permission granted)

Superuser does not ask for my permission to grant root privilege. I tried the Got Root app ... it located superuser, but failed to obtain superuser privileges. The SU Checker app said Status: su declined | not found.

Has anyone seen this before with Superuser?

Please advise what I should do to get superuser to start recognizing root apps asking for permission.

Montclair

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Flash this in recovery: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/su404.zip

Power down, boot to bootloader (hold both volumes and power), volume scroll to recovery, hit power, in recovery flash it.

Sounds easy enough, but I've never flashed anything before (NOOB), just have done backups in CWM. I have not renamed the file to permanently install CWM, so every time I reboot, it goes back to stock recovery. I flash CWM with ROM Manager when I want to do a nandriod backup.

Can I just boot to CWM recovery through ROM Manager?

Once in recovery, do I just browse to the Download folder for the zip file? (never done it before)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sounds easy enough, but I've never flashed anything before (NOOB), just have done backups in CWM. I have not renamed the file to permanently install CWM, so every time I reboot, it goes back to stock recovery. I flash CWM with ROM Manager when I want to do a nandriod backup.

Can I just boot to CWM recovery through ROM Manager?

Once in recovery, do I just browse to the Download folder for the zip file? (never done it before)

Yes you can do it all that way. You may need to make sure the zip is on the root of your sd (meaning not in the download or any other folder, just on the sd).. move it there with whatever your file explorer of choice is (i.e. root explorer).

Reactions: Montclair

Montclair

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can do it all that way. You may need to make sure the zip is on the root of your sd (meaning not in the download or any other folder, just on the sd).. move it there with whatever your file explorer of choice is (i.e. root explorer).

Sounds good. Moved it to sd root. I'll post back when done.

Thank you! :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It worked! T H A N K Y O U ! :D :D

Now, my question is ... did Voodoo OTA RootKeeper never really restore root after the OTA to 4.0.4 or did something happen to superuser after that?

No idea, lol. But that's why we have nexii, so they can be rooted again just that easily :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Fascinating! I discovered I had a root problem, just as Montclair did, a couple of days ago.

When I tried to install CWM on my GN, it failed repeatedly. I then discovered that I haven't really had complete root since I updated to 4.0.4 back on 5/2/12 and restored root with OTA Rootkeeper. Superuser didn't have any log entries since that date, but apparently apps that had root granted prior to the update, were able to run and access root successfully, but any new ones wouldn't, and there were no messages from Superuser to show the problem.

Long story short, the SU404 flash resolved the problem for me, for which I'm eternally grateful. I had considered several other possible solutions to try that were a bit intimidating, but this was painless, using CWM via PC, rather than flashed on my GN.

I wish I had a better understanding of what I did to fix it, but I can be happy with the results.:D

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Fascinating! I discovered I had a root problem, just as Montclair did, a couple of days ago.

When I tried to install CWM on my GN, it failed repeatedly. I then discovered that I haven't really had complete root since I updated to 4.0.4 back on 5/2/12 and restored root with OTA Rootkeeper. Superuser didn't have any log entries since that date, but apparently apps that had root granted prior to the update, were able to run and access root successfully, but any new ones wouldn't, and there were no messages from Superuser to show the problem.

Long story short, the SU404 flash resolved the problem for me, for which I'm eternally grateful. I had considered several other possible solutions to try that were a bit intimidating, but this was painless, using CWM via PC, rather than flashed on my GN.

I wish I had a better understanding of what I did to fix it, but I can be happy with the results.:D

Lol you simply flashed an su package updated to work with 4.0.4 :)

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Lol you simply flashed an su package updated to work with 4.0.4 :)

Yup, I get that. I'm just confused by the fact that I had the latest version of Superuser (& Elite) on the GN already. I'm suspecting that there was a carryover of an earlier version of SU from the backup copy that I had established earlier with OTA Rootkeeper, prior to the 4.0.4 update.

I just went back in to OTA Rootkeep and removed the SU backup and recreated it, hopefully with the current version.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
When the Jelly Bean OTA hits, will su need to be updated again?

Probably.. Those of us on JB ROMs have been using an updated SU or the new SuperSU app+binary (its a different SU regulating app but functions very similarly)

In any case getting root on JB is just as easy as before, and when you need it we will have the files here for you to flash easily.. In fact I believe Dmmarck's JB Now thread has them in one of the first few posts anyways :)

rusty101

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
sorry to say, did this after the update (my rooted icecream nexus worked well with voodoo sound) to the new JB (with JB my voodo doesn`t get superuser rights. but I need my better sound back again.. .)
Powered down, boot to bootloader (hold both volumes and power), volume scroll to recovery, hit power, >>>>>" in recovery flash it."
after choosing recovery, hitting power it gets blue - then I see the green android avatar lying back with the red warning sign on it..
ok, i`m blond ... any hints / help? Thank You

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
sorry to say, did this after the update (my rooted icecream nexus worked well with voodoo sound) to the new JB (with JB my voodo doesn`t get superuser rights. but I need my better sound back again.. .)
Powered down, boot to bootloader (hold both volumes and power), volume scroll to recovery, hit power, >>>>>" in recovery flash it."
after choosing recovery, hitting power it gets blue - then I see the green android avatar lying back with the red warning sign on it..
ok, i`m blond ... any hints / help? Thank You

That is stock recovery you are seeing, you need to flash a custom one. Download GooManager and select the option to install openrecovery. Then boot to recovery, and once there flash the superuser zip. If you don't go right to a custom ROM where this is already done, you'll want to delete or rename the file recovery-from-boot.p in your /system folder (use root explorer or something similar) so that the custom recovery will stick moving forward.

rusty101

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey, thank you very much. I installed Goo Manager, did Install open recovery, but it only shows: "no recovieries were found for your device"
(nexus s , android 4.1.1. kernel: 3.0.31-g3b0c5d2 )

rusty101

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
delete or rename the file recovery-from-boot.p in your /system folder (use root explorer or something similar):
tried to delete it with astro -
i see the folder, select it, but it could not be deleted...

rusty101

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
ok, to delete or rename files I need reed / write permission.
I can use su superuser, but have problems to get write permission...
seems to use superuser rights... what?s wrong?

adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system, mv /system/bin/aba /system/bin/aba_bad

then I get:

v /system/bin/aba /system/bin/aba_bad
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

what should I type in now? thank you

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, to delete or rename files I need reed / write permission.
I can use su superuser, but have problems to get write permission...
seems to use superuser rights... what?s wrong?

adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system, mv /system/bin/aba /system/bin/aba_bad

then I get:

v /system/bin/aba /system/bin/aba_bad
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory

what should I type in now? thank you

Whoa.... what are you trying to do here? lol

rusty101

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
i want to delete or rename the file recovery-from-boot.p in the /system folder...
there are only read- permissions...

and therefore it needs to be writeable again...

found that last command in an other forum to set the system writable... or is that not working...? :-[

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams