Subaru & Pixel 2 Bluetooth Issue

Colin Thomas

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
I too have this exact problem and have the latest updates. I am getting a replacement pixel 2 xl and see if this fixes the issue. As abroadst stated with issue, it actually does get better when I place my hand over top of phone or put behind my back. This is the strangest Bluetooth issue I’ve ever seen. It’s not a deal breaker though as I still love this phone for all it offers. Hope new phone replacement fixes it though.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have calling issues on my 2015 STi but it's not my phone, it's the car. Audio is fine on my end but my wife said it sounds terrible on her end. Had the same issue with my S7 Edge. I just don't talk on the phone while I'm driving. Not exactly a terrible habit to have. Audio streaming is excellent though and better than my S7 Edge. The Pixel seems to amplify the sound better and I don't have to have my head unit turned up as much as I used to.

umagooma

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
2013 Outback, same problem. ALL my other phones I have owned worked flawlessly except my Pixel2 xl. Just got done with Google tech support with no resolution. The guy really did try and walked me through different things to try. Acted like he had never heard of this problem, maybe he hadn't. Starting to regret this purchase as I came from a Note 5.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
It's a good phone except for the BT , was hoping for a earlier resolution to this mabey it's more than just software , I regrettably left the Google family pixel 2 now all my Bluetooth devices work again, have to weigh the pros and cons

rochrunner46

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Seems there is an issue using the Pixels(both 1&2 and XL) with various Subaru models. Someone posted this video which is the exact same problem I'm having:

https://youtu.be/weeavWpeb1w

Music streaming works fine but phone calls are garbled and pretty much can't be used through bluetooth. All my other phones have worked fine(many iPhones and Galaxys)

Others reporting it here:

https://productforums.google.com/fo...xt-place=topicsearchin/phone-by-google/subaru

Just thought I'd post in case another Subaru owner is looking to purchase the Pixel as this is a deal breaker for me. Doubt its a specific issue with my Pixel but appreciate hearing if anyone else with a Subaru is able to stream phone calls through bluetooth without issue.
I'm coming from the opposite direction: have a Pixel 2 and just ordered a new Outback. The 18s have a new head unit so maybe it will work OK with that combo. I've done a couple of BT calls on our '11 Outback and haven't noticed anything though.

What I have noticed is occasional trouble getting music to play through BT when it's actually connected to earbuds.

MadScribbler

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
So this is simple.

If you pair using the buttons on the stereo then autoconnect will be flaky at best.

Forget the device you paired via the stereo buttons and re-pair using push-to-talk using the voice prompts.

The stereo control method registers the device as a type a bluetooth device, which doesn't support phone - it pairs as a media player only. Some phones don't like that.

Pairing via voice registers the phone as a type b bluetooth device. This pairs both the phone and media, which works properly with virtually all phones.

Subaru tells you about type a and type b in the owners manual for the vehicle, but it doesn't make sense until you have problems with autoconnect.

I have a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek and a 2014 Legacy and they both work like that. We had problems with our pixel 2's until we figured it out.

al23

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for saving me a bad purchase. I own a LG V30 and have the same issue. I was about to buy a Pixel XL 2 , but thought to check if the pixel XL 2 had the same problem since LG makes both. My problem is consistent, even though I only pair by voice.

I'm glad I checked on this is with the pixel 2 XL. I use my Bluetooth a lot for calls. So it's a no go for me.