Successfull 6P replacement due to battery issues

Radasa

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Ever since I purchased my Nexus 6p back in December of 2015 the battery has not been great as some of you have reported. My SOT would always be around 3.5 hours with normal usage. A few months ago I started getting random shutdowns with plenty of battery juice left. It died sometimes at 30%, 25%, 15%, 5, 10% randomly and it would not come back on again unless I plugged it in to the charger. Very frustrating since you never knew when your phone would die.

I purchased the phone via Project Fi (No longer with project Fi) so I tried my luck calling asking for help knowing that the warranty was already expired. The person that answered the phone tried to troubleshoot the phone with very basic stuff including a factory reset but still the phone would shutdown with battery > 0. Factory reset did improve things at least my phone was dying at 4%. The agent that was helping me said that there was nothing else that could be done since the warranty had expired.

For a while my phone died consistently at around 4 or 5% for a few days (Due to factory reset?) but then it was back to its old self dying just like it did before (30%, 20% .....).

So I called google again and this time I was firm telling them that the phone was dying and it was unacceptable. Told them also that I have a motorola nexus 6 with original battery and no battery issues. After leaving me on hold for a few minutes the agent came back and this time asked me for my address and told me it was going to be replaced with a refurbished one.

I already received the replacement and mailed the old one back. I can say that the phone got upgraded to 7.1.2 from 7.1.1 when I got it and noticed that I now get SOT of 5 hours + with same apps and usage as before (Getting only 3.5 hours) and the phone doesn't die until it reaches 0% as it should. Yesterday I let it go down to 1% and it was still alive.

Not sure what made them reconsider. Was it me calling multiple times or being consistently in the news about being sued because of the battery and bootloop issue? or something else? but the only thing that matters is that I got another one. I just hope that the battery doesn't start to have issues months down the road.

Also forgot to mention that the refurbished phone looks brand new. No scratches, dents or any other issues.

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I just called today regarding poor battery life and early shutdowns (usually around 20% if I tried to use the camera or run a video). I outlined to the service tech that I had already done a factory reset, flashed the stock ROM, and booted into Safe mode. She quickly said it sounds like you've done all the troubleshooting steps and RMA'd the device. I bought it at launch so this is being replaced outside of warranty. I should have the replacement device next week. It is a refurb and I asked if it would have a new battery in it, the technician stated only that it will be device that has been gone thru by their techs. I'll find out next week. Hopefully the device will be good enough to allow me to keep it for another year or 18 months.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah... I'd be curious to see what the refurb process entails. People have mixed results across all OEMs and platforms. But I would suspect that they wouldn't send out a phone with a tired battery... that would be counterproductive.

When you DO get it, I would highly suggest you load up something like Accubattery that analyzes power and charging data to determine the effective capacity of the battery. The cells vary, of course, but I would think that the variance would be much... so anywhere from 34000 mah and above. If you get a refurb that is much lower than that, I would have give them a call.

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
My RMA with Google was a bit annoying. First device never got sent out. Second device is had a bent screen, where it poked up above my case. Third device, that I now have, has some pretty bad burn-in. Only around the nav bar and notification bar, so I can deal with it. The battery is usually pretty good too. It'll last me through the new HTC release or the Pixel 2, so I'm happy. Definitely won't be getting rid of the 6P though. I'm keeping it around as a backup/media house.

makiger

May 30, 2012
Visit site
The same case for me (refurbished like new) but my phone come with 7.1.1 and february security patch. Still waiting for 7.1.2...

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Got my refurb device yesterday. Cosmetically it is perfect, no scuffs, scratches or anything else to the eye that would lead one to indicate that it had been used before. When I took it out of the box it would not power up, hooked up the charger and got a flashing red LED. Fortunately after a few minutes the flashing red LED quit flashing and the device took a charge and subsequently powered up fine. Me thinks somebody left it on in bootloader mode when it was repackaged. It did come with Android 6 so I unlocked the bootloader and flashed it to the current factory image (7.1.2, May 5 security updates).
Installed Accubattery and on the first round of discharging partially and recharging got and Accubattery rated the battery at 98% health. The 6P that I'm returning was showing 75% battery health. If I can get another year to 18 months out of the 6P I'll be happy and be ready for a new device by then. Used to buy a new phone every couple years, but with device costs heading into the ~$1000 range, I'd prefer to keep a device for 3 years, maybe a bit more.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
yeah... I'd be curious to see what the refurb process entails. People have mixed results across all OEMs and platforms. But I would suspect that they wouldn't send out a phone with a tired battery... that would be counterproductive.
You'd think. And I can't say anything about Huawei returns, but I just got a used 6P sold as "like new" from Amazon's Warehouse Deals on April 14th. According to Accubattery, that sucker gets a 64% health rating. And I believe it, too, seeing as I've just watched the phone drop from 86% to 52% in four hours even though it's been lying on my desk for most of that time and the only thing I've done on it is check the battery rating occasionally (as in less than 2x/hour on average).

I've just submitted seller feedback and a product review mostly just to see if I get any response.

EDIT: Amazon keeps rejecting my product review. I guess that's my response.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Installed Accubattery and on the first round of discharging partially and recharging got and Accubattery rated the battery at 98% health.

Give it a few cycles... the reading gets more accurate the more you charge. It may very well be a fresh cell in there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan