Sudden slow down and frequent freezing/restart. S22U

Burks

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
S22 Ultra purchased 11/2022, Snapdragon.

Last Saturday (not an update day) while at work my phone started acting weird. I've had zero major issues up until now. It has since "maybe" become worse.

Edit: I've not installed any new apps for probably a month or more.

Symptoms:
- Slow to load games/apps/web pages. If the web page has a lot of ads, time to go make a sandwich.
- Freezing while opening above programs. Phone will then restart.
- Very frequent camera crashes and/or freezing. Missed a few pics and videos of my daughter at her last swim meet.

Things I've tried:
- Deleted a dozen or two apps I rarely use. Only keeping games/apps I use frequently.
- Cleaned cache through settings
- Cleaned cache using the restart and....debug? thing. Had to use the volume buttons to scroll if that helps (sorry not very technical sometimes)
- Moved over 1000 images off my phone to my PC

Things I've found that may have helped me:
- Decreased CPU speed. Seems to have helped crashing so much, but the freezing and slow down is still there.
- Deleting tons of stuff.

Sort of at a loss now. Short of a full reset, I'm out of ideas. Did download a cpu temp app to track that. Looks like I spike to 100% usage a lot while doing nothing. Temp seems under control in my air conditioned house (35 Judy surfing, 45C when playing less intense games).

If you need more info, just ask!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome.

What RAM Plus setting are you using? Have you tried turning it off, or changing the setting?

Also, I’ve moved the thread to the S22 subforum, where other users of the device may be able to help.

Burks

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
Welcome.

What RAM Plus setting are you using? Have you tried turning it off, or changing the setting?

Also, I’ve moved the thread to the S22 subforum, where other users of the device may be able to help.
Thank you for doing that, my bad!

I read to turn RAM Plus off, so I did. Has not made a difference (before it was either 2 or 4GB, I forget).

Burks

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
What about Care Page in Device Care any abnormal apps?

Check in settings>about>software page >Google Play system up to date?
Nothing abnormal. Just a bunch of apps in deep sleep.

Google Play was last updated 1/1/2024. Tried to update, phone got stuck in a boot loop for a bit. Wasn't updated when finished.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nothing abnormal. Just a bunch of apps in deep sleep.

Google Play was last updated 1/1/2024. Tried to update, phone got stuck in a boot loop for a bit. Wasn't updated when finished.
Go back to see if any available it should have May update possibly why your having some issues

Reactions: Laura Knotek

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like some kind of hardware failure, but I guess you could try factory resetting, and if no go, reflashing the stock ROM.

Burks

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
Well guys and gals, I wiped it completely a few days ago. It was at least usable at that point in time (still frozen and restarted a few times a day, even sending a simple text).

Now it froze, went to restart, and I can't even get it to turn on. It had 70+ percent of battery left.

- Held power button for minutes (I timed it)
- Held power and up/down volume keys (with it connected and not connected to PC).
- Connected to charger for 30 minutes.

I'm out of ideas. I should have just went and traded it in before it did this. Now I'm hosed.....no one is going to accept a trade-in like this.

Burks

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site

So what are my options Belodion? I've never had a hardware failure on a phone before. Reflashing the RAM, is that just going into device care and clearing it?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So what are my options Belodion? I've never had a hardware failure on a phone before. Reflashing the RAM, is that just going into device care and clearing it?
I’m not a Samsung user but so far as I know it means reflashing the stock firmware for your exact phone version via Odin. That is the software: if your phone does indeed have a hardware fault, it will do no good, but it is perhaps worth trying.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What Android version and Home UI version are you on?

Have you tried safe mode ?
How did you decrease CPU use?

Burks

Jun 16, 2024
Visit site
What Android version and Home UI version are you on?

Have you tried safe mode ?
How did you decrease CPU use?
One UI 6,1
Android Version 14
Android Security Patch June 1, 2024
Google Play Store Jan 1, 2024 patch (I had to wipe the phone AGAIN this morning to get it to work)

When I wiped the phone, again, this morning I did not use any backups for anything. Reentered all my contacts. Deleted all bloatware I could without downloading anything. It will literally freeze up when sending a simple text message. I'm using the CPU in optimized mode (I tried High and Maximum settings for the heck of it, made it worse). Ram+ I've tried turned off and maxed out, no noticeable difference (maybe slightly more stable when off).

Honestly just looking at replacing it with a OnePlus 12 at this point. $1300 for another 18 months of phone use, nah.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garthS153