Switch from Samsung Messages to Android Messages so I can use RCS... worth it?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hope my title was descriptive enough. I'm with Rogers and they have decided to let Android Messages handle RCS messaging rather than the Stock Samsung App. I use stock because I find it works good with my Gear S3. Also if I only need one app on my phone why not?

So two part question. Is it worth the switch to use RCS? Do my contacts also need to be on RCS (I suspect they do) for me to see any advantage?

Am I up, down or same in features on these two regardless of RCS? A killer feature of stock for me is scheduling messages and I dont think AM can do that?

Thanks!

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Android Messages is a work in progress. It does not have as many features as the Samsung messages app....yet.

RCS(Chat) is also a work in progress on AM so it hasn't been fully implemented.

Hopefully, they will add scheduling and customization to AM

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
RCS is available on the Samsung Messages app if you have the latest update. In fact, the latest slew of bugs that you will reported on the latest Samsung Messages app is about the RCS update which T Mobile pushed to it. So you actually lose stuff going to Android Messages, like the customizations, but you also lose the bug so that's good.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I think the features of the stock app are carrier dependent. It's strange. In Canada... Bell mobility uses the stock app for RCS and Roger's uses AM.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
RCS is available on the Samsung Messages app if you have the latest update. In fact, the latest slew of bugs that you will reported on the latest Samsung Messages app is about the RCS update which T Mobile pushed to it. So you actually lose stuff going to Android Messages, like the customizations, but you also lose the bug so that's good.

You also lose Samsung Messages sending photos from your gallery to random contacts, without your knowledge or consent.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
One reason to stay with SMS instead of RCS: I use SMS Backup and Restore, which happily backs up my SMS and phone call logs every day, up to my Google Drive. If I have to restore the phone, or if I move to another phone, it's as simply as having the app restore everything.

Also, Google Messages now works inside a web browser (in connection with your phone), so there's that.

RCS is completely outside of all of this. There's no backing up and restoring any of that stuff.

I like the idea of RCS, but I'll let a few years go by before moving to it. SMS works just great for me.

I'm on T-Mobile in the US, and we're hearing that they'll implement it inside the stock Samsung app. Since I'm not using that, that's another reason not to move to RCS.

I'm open to suggestions as to why I should move to RCS, though.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's more an issue I guess for you since you're in the US. Samsung cloud backs up all messages the stock SMS app sees, so it won't be a problem unless your carrier is like Verizon that disabled Samsung Cloud themselves.

One reason to stay with SMS instead of RCS: I use SMS Backup and Restore, which happily backs up my SMS and phone call logs every day, up to my Google Drive. If I have to restore the phone, or if I move to another phone, it's as simply as having the app restore everything.

Also, Google Messages now works inside a web browser (in connection with your phone), so there's that.

RCS is completely outside of all of this. There's no backing up and restoring any of that stuff.

I like the idea of RCS, but I'll let a few years go by before moving to it. SMS works just great for me.

I'm on T-Mobile in the US, and we're hearing that they'll implement it inside the stock Samsung app. Since I'm not using that, that's another reason not to move to RCS.

I'm open to suggestions as to why I should move to RCS, though.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
But I don't think even Samsung can back up the RCS stuff--even if you're using their app. That's the whole point: RCS is so radically different than SMS, the standard SMS backup routines can't touch it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally prefer Android messages anyway much cleaner look and simpler. But I'm biased since I like Google apps more than Samsung apps since I have multiple Android phones and like to use same apps in all of them.

It's interesting how this RCS implementation is going on with different carriers. Looks like a mess and fragmented.

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I am sticking with Samsung Messages for now mostly because of the close integration with my gear s3 frontier and customization (background/theme changes). As for those talking about google messages being available as a web client, Samsung Flow is the answer to that. It works great and has a phone mirror option so you can play your games on a pc screen.

eBud

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
Inertia makes me stay with Android messages. Brought it with me from BB DTEK60 to Galaxy s9+ (along with BB Keyboard and Messenger). Content with that so no reason to change now.

Brando504

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
I prefer samsung messages. I find I have more features and able to fully customize messages and dialer throughout whole phone with samsung theme store. That's a big deal breaker for me to customize without rooting or anything.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting how this RCS implementation is going on with different carriers. Looks like a mess and fragmented.
About the way MMS was back in 2003-2004. First it worked when it wanted to, but it took a while after that was fixed (and it was carrier-dependent) before you could even send an MMS between carriers.

At least RCS falls back to standard SMS. But in a few years, when it's all figured out, if they do what's being promised, we'll be using data (wifi or mobile data) for text and pictures. No carrier needed unless you're using mobile data. (And I'm sure the people who write SMS backup apps will be writing RCS backup apps. It's just a change in where the message is coming from, the rest of the backup and restore can stay the same.)

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I am sticking with Samsung Messages for now mostly because of the close integration with my gear s3 frontier and customization (background/theme changes). As for those talking about google messages being available as a web client, Samsung Flow is the answer to that. It works great and has a phone mirror option so you can play your games on a pc screen.

...except when you move OUT of the Samsung infrastructure.

Samsung wants you to marry them just like Apple wants its users to marry them--for better or for worse, 'til death do you part.

Sorry, I'm not marrying a single manufacturer's infrastructure. If they add value, great. But if it means being stuck with dealing with that single manufacturer no matter what, I'm outta here.

NationalBoss247

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
I dont use either I always seem to have problems with both wether it's messages not sending at all, or sending multiples on accident etc etc. I paid for Textra, and I use it as my default texting app. It's excellent, built well, and highly customizable. You can download it for free as a trial and test it out.