Switched from Windows phone and starting to regret a bit.... Maybe solution?

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So, I switched from my nearly 2 year old Nokia 1520 running the latest Windows 10 to the 6P and off the bat... The battery isn't close... The 6P is better than my old Note 2 was but not near the 1520.... But.. I can live with having to plug it in earlier at night every night.. I was just spoiled by the ridiculous battery life on the Nokia... Next... And this is one I really hope can be fixed or if there is a solution...
I have an Android head unit in my car and it's part of the reason I decided to switch back to Android from WP... (You can see my Android head unit review here... it's awesome!. Anyway...

On My Nokia once it was connected via bluetooth, if an SMS came in, it would cut in to whatever I was listening to and it would TELL me... "New text message from Billy Bob Thornton" and then it would read it and ask me if I wanted to reply... I'd speak my reply and then it would read my reply back to make sure it was right and then ask if I wanted to send... If I said Yes, it would send. 100% Hands free. Out of the box... I did nothing but connect via BT... Okay.. now the Nexus... I connect via BT.. nothing... so I search.. it doesn't do it.. So you need an app.. I get the most popular app I could find.. Read it to me... After messing with it and messing with it... it still doesn't work right.. It reads them over BT but ONLY if I have the radio on BT streaming something... if I'm listening to music on an SD or the radio or maps or anything else.. nope... and when it does stream, it asks if I want to reply them immediately says "I didn't catch that" and it doesn't allow me to reply... In other words... Total FAIL.
So... gimme some suggestions.... I like the 6P but I'm starting to regret my purchase.

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh.. another thing... Why is it so difficult to block a caller? I have to add them to the dadgum address book and then I keep forgetting how to go in and edit and then block. Crazy... Just long press the number in WP and choose block... done.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The 6p and car texting is an issue for lots of folks. Unsure if there is a fix. Mine has same problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

renegad3

May 16, 2013
Visit site
no need to add them to address book.

the dialer now has native call blocking. go to the call log, find the number you wish to block, then click call details. select block number. Alternately, long press the number in the call log, and select block number.

you can also open dialer, go to settings > call blocking and manually add numbers.

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you just updated the HU in your vehicle, but an Android Auto HU looks like might give you the text messaging functionality you are looking for.

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
no need to add them to address book.

the dialer now has native call blocking. go to the call log, find the number you wish to block, then click call details. select block number. Alternately, long press the number in the call log, and select block number.

you can also open dialer, go to settings > call blocking and manually add numbers.

Thanks...

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Iuu made the same move as you. Loved the 1520. Would have kept it if they had better support for Google apps.

Yeah.. i really like the phone... Almost as much as the 1520... almost... it's nearly there. Just not quite but at least there are work arounds for a lot of things so it's not as bad as I originally thought.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Tried it...

Nope.. doesn't do it. Actually all it did was silence my phone in the car and make it harder to use.. LOL
Hmmm... the app description clearly says "Drive Agent is triggered by bluetooth and motion sensing (activity detection). It can be configured to read SMS messages aloud, respond with voice, auto respond to texters and callers to let them know you’re driving (editable message) & only respond to your own hand-picked list"

Was this just broken, or did you not find it? I ask as I've chatted with folks who said it worked pretty well. I've never actually used it as I had a Moto X before moving to Android Auto, which I now use with my 6P.

rambo47

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Window Phone's car bluetooth integration with messaging is second to none. And the voice recognition is head and shoulders above both Siri and Google Now. And it does this straight out of the box. Pair it once and you're golden. That's the one thing I miss from my Lumia Icon, and it's what's tempting me to give the Lumia 735 a shot. I'm limited by Verizon but the 950 doesn't tempt me at all with all the issues it has. Can't wait for the Surface Phone.

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm... the app description clearly says "Drive Agent is triggered by bluetooth and motion sensing (activity detection). It can be configured to read SMS messages aloud, respond with voice, auto respond to texters and callers to let them know you’re driving (editable message) & only respond to your own hand-picked list"

Was this just broken, or did you not find it? I ask as I've chatted with folks who said it worked pretty well. I've never actually used it as I had a Moto X before moving to Android Auto, which I now use with my 6P.
I know it says it.. and yes.. when it senses the BT in the car it goes into "Driving mode" but that's it.. it silences the phone but doesn't read the texts over BT or allow you to respond. It just doesn't work.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Window Phone's car bluetooth integration with messaging is second to none. And the voice recognition is head and shoulders above both Siri and Google Now. And it does this straight out of the box. Pair it once and you're golden. That's the one thing I miss from my Lumia Icon, and it's what's tempting me to give the Lumia 735 a shot. I'm limited by Verizon but the 950 doesn't tempt me at all with all the issues it has. Can't wait for the Surface Phone.

Exactly my findings... when driving, i had to reply to messages using my voice, and it get a TON wrong compared to windows phone. WP usually got it right, this one usually gets words wrong.

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
On a side note I moved the sim from my 6P back to my 1520. Gonna go back to it for a few days to see how I like it after using the 6P. Nice that they use the same size sim.

breezygirl

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site

I still don't know why android or Apple hasn't got Bluetooth messages in the car right yet. Windows phones are great with it, as well as having a stock dark theme option.

Posted via the Android Central App