Switching between Custom ROMs

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Earlier this year, I finally rooted my NS4G and installed Pete's BB ICS rom, but that's the only ROM I've tried, so with updates, it was just a wipe dalvic and install, and I didn't have to worry about reinstalling apps, setting, etc. Mind you, I do have Titanium Pro installed and I do backup.

My question for those who flip between one ROM and another -- is it not a pain to have to get phone's home screens, settings, etc. back to the way you had it when you do a clean install of a new ROM? That's been the only thing keeping me from trying other ROMs, just the perceived inconvenience of having to reconfigure everything how I had it with the prior ROM.

What do most people do? Clean install of new ROM, then download Titanium (or other backup app) and do a restore? Is it really that simple?

Thanks in advance for any insight into this; I'd really like to start checking out various ROMs (including the JB ones that are out there currently).

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, it is only recommended to use titanium backup to restore user apps and thier data. And usually when I use titanium backup I will actually cherry pick which apps to restore data on as I have had problems in the past. Honestly, look into the update.zip that TB can create that you can flash along side your rom. As for home screen settings, I use nova which can backup and restore your setup quite effectively from its setting menu.

System settings and the like you cannot save. For me, it takes about 15 minutes to set up a new rom. Also, don't forget to create a nandroid backup so you can return to bb if you don't like something.

Reactions: corolla90

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, it is only recommended to use titanium backup to restore user apps and thier data. And usually when I use titanium backup I will actually cherry pick which apps to restore data on as I have had problems in the past. Honestly, look into the update.zip that TB can create that you can flash along side your rom. As for home screen settings, I use nova which can backup and restore your setup quite effectively from its setting menu.

System settings and the like you cannot save. For me, it takes about 15 minutes to set up a new rom. Also, don't forget to create a nandroid backup so you can return to bb if you don't like something.

What he said. :) I know there are those that think its too big a hassle to set their phone back up after flashing a new ROM...... but it really doesn't take that long....titanium for the apps and nova/apex launchers(and others) have back up options to make that transition easier........ and the more you do it......the easier it gets(and with the rash of new roms popping up, nows a good time to build up your skills ;) )

Reactions: corolla90

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej