Switching from Bionic to Used Galaxy Note 2

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought bought a used Galaxy Note 2 because I am sick of my Bionic and I want to keep my Unlimited Data.

It should be arriving tomorrow and I want to activate it in place of my Bionic. I have read that the SIM card from the Bionic will not work in the Galaxy Note 2 (wrong size?) and that I need to get a new SIM card from Verizon.

My question is: Can I just go to a Verizon Store today and pick up a SIM card for it so I can be ready to activate the Galaxy Note 2 (activate online maybe?) as soon as I receive it? Or do I need to wait until I get the phone and bring the phone to a Verizon store?

I am curious because I have some time today to go to a Verizon store but my schedule is crazy for the next couple of weeks after today and it will be difficult to for me to deal with this.

Thanks!

SaSqUaDgE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, all you have to do is go to the Verizon store and pick up a SIM card. Sometimes they charge a few bucks but sometimes there is a good employee who will just give you one for free. Also you can do it at home or have them do it at the store it doesn't matter.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon corporate store would not charge anything for the sim, some third party retailers may. I am not sure if they would hand you a sim outright, you can try though. If not, just bring in your new phone.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon corporate store would not charge anything for the sim, some third party retailers may. I am not sure if they would hand you a sim outright, you can try though. If not, just bring in your new phone.

I overheard a conversation that SIM cards carry a charge so they can't just hand them out. However, if activated on a line they are free. This was a corporate rep who was taking a call while I was in store buying a phone.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I overheard a conversation that SIM cards carry a charge so they can't just hand them out. However, if activated on a line they are free. This was a corporate rep who was taking a call while I was in store buying a phone.

The other thing is that you can only have one active sim per line. Even if they gave the op one without the phone in hand, the existing sim in his Bionic would not work anymore. Just something to be aware of.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

If I am understanding this right - they don't generally give out an "unactivated" SIM so I could activate the other phone myself at a later time. So the easiest thing to do (and to avoid not having a working phone at any time) is just wait until I get the GNote2 and go to the Verizon (it will be a corporate) store and get the SIM and have them activate it?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

If I am understanding this right - they don't generally give out an "unactivated" SIM so I could activate the other phone myself at a later time. So the easiest thing to do (and to avoid not having a working phone at any time) is just wait until I get the GNote2 and go to the Verizon (it will be a corporate) store and get the SIM and have them activate it?

If you order over the phone, it would come unactivated.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The other thing is that you can only have one active sim per line. Even if they gave the op one without the phone in hand, the existing sim in his Bionic would not work anymore. Just something to be aware of.

Correct but SIM cards can be reactivated now.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
If you order over the phone, it would come unactivated.

OK, so wait til I get the phone and get to a store or call them and have them mail me a SIM card.

At least you saved me a trip to Verizon today for nothing. I can probably get over to a store before they close the middle of the week.

Thanks again!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
OK, so wait til I get the phone and get to a store or call them and have them mail me a SIM card.

At least you saved me a trip to Verizon today for nothing. I can probably get over to a store before they close the middle of the week.

Thanks again!

If you want them to mail you a sim, you can call them today.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct but SIM cards can be reactivated now.

I thought that you had to wait 24 hours before reactivating an old sim? Or maybe I was mistaken

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I thought that you had to wait 24 hours before reactivating an old sim? Or maybe I was mistaken

It used to be where they couldn't be reactivated at all. When I bought my Maxx on my dads line they activated the SIM to him and then minutes later reactivated it on my line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It used to be where they couldn't be reactivated at all. When I bought my Maxx on my dads line they activated the SIM to him and then minutes later reactivated it on my line.

Thanks for the info. I remember long ago that I couldn't reactivate, but glad to see they changed it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caixalegend