Switching Over to T-Mobile Advice

onthevirg

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping to get some advice from one of the most knowledgeable crews on the interwebs.

Right now my girlfriend and I are both on Sprint with an Epic 4G and an Evo 3D. We've been really happy with the Sprint Everything plans and, surprisingly, their customer service. The problem is that we're both being charged a premium for 4G phones where we can't, of course, get 4G connectivity and I'm sure LTE isn't coming to our area anytime soon. Sure, it's great when you're in a location where Wi-Max service is available but we don't live in such an area. Neither of us eat a bunch of data but I like to be able to grab podcasts like AAA at work when I need stuff to listen to in the background. My coworker just got an S3 on T-Mobile and his speeds on their version of 4G are quite good. I've also noticed that T-Mobile has exceptionally competitive pricing when you bring your own phone to their network. A gotcha might be that soon my significant other might want an iPhone.

That's a long winded way of asking if I bought an unlocked/un-subsidized version of the European S3 and the AT&T version of the 4S (for the g/f) could we do the SIM only version of the T-Mobile value plans of their service and still expect HSPA versions of 4G (e.g. 1.5 Mbps speeds)?

Sorry for the exceptionally long email but I appreciate any insight you might provide.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Assuming both phones are unlocked you should get HSPA-21 speeds. You won't, however, get HSPA-42 speeds which is a benefit of tmobile's network. (HSPA 21 speeds are still going to be considerably faster than sprint 3g). Also, neither of those phones are pentaband which might limit your 4g coverage depending on your area.

Reactions: onthevirg

babydoll25

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The international version of the SGSIII (and the 4s) will only get EDGE speeds on T-Mobile UNLESS, you are in one of the areas that T-Mobile has refarmed Their 1900 band to HSPA+
The international version does not support the 1700 AWS band required for T-Mobile HSPA+
It will only get HSPA+ on AT&T as They use the 850/1900 NAM bands

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d