Swype + Dragon troubleshoot after death?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Say what you will, but the Swype + Dragon keyboard for Android was head and shoulders above anything else available. Samsung, GBoard, Swiftkey, etc. simply can't match up. I've tried them, and I'm unimpressed.

That said, I was able to SmartSwitch it from my S7 to my S10, and it worked okay for awhile. Somewhere along the line, the 'Talk-to-Text' stopped responding. It now clicks on for just a second, but then off, back to the "Tap to Speak" screen.

The phone's microphone is fine...it works with the Samsung and GBoard keyboards, as well as Google Assistant, etc. It is -only- the Swype + Dragon keyboard that has this issue. I've tried every setting I can find, and have rebooted this phone over and over with these updated settings. Nada.

Is there, somewhere, a guru forum specifically about the Swype + Dragon keyboard that can help with this problem?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: The corner swype

The issue you're experiencing is probably related to what are called API's, or Application Programming Interface. Android is now on API 31 (for Android 12), Android 11 was API 30. The last Swype keyboard that was released supported a MUCH older API as the last update for it was several years ago. I imagine the newer APIs handle the text-to-speech differently than the one that Swype was last built to support, and without rebuilding the keyboard to handle that input as is expected by the new API it simply won't work.

This was bound to happen eventually.

I should add - I was a HUGE fan of Swype. I moved to GBoard and haven't really looked back. It's served me well as a former Swype user...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I love Swype as well, but understand that it is several years out of date. The developer ceased development of the app, which will lead to things breaking over time as Android is developed beyond what Swype is compatible with. You can try the usual stuff of clearing the app cache, app data, or reinstalling from a backup (if you have one), but there isn't likely much else that can be done.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought @mustang7757 locked this thread? My response linking to another thread (that the OP of this one dug up after registering) is also gone, along with my reply in that other thread (which I thought was really good).

I checked the link you posted, and it went to a seemingly unrelated thread about a pulling down from a corner or something. It didn't appear to have anything to do with Swype/Dragon, so I asked to have the thread unlocked. I figured you posted the wrong link and I had my own thoughts to add here.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I checked the link you posted, and it went to a seemingly unrelated thread about a pulling down from a corner or something. It didn't appear to have anything to do with typing, so I asked to have the thread unlocked. I figured you posted the wrong link and I had my own thoughts to add here.

Yeah, and I had also suggested in my post thread that my post in the other thread could be moved here if more appropriate...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just wanted my detailed post from that other thread. Due to some personal things going on I'm not in any condition to try to recreate it here. It's basically the same thing @Mooncatt wrote but maybe a little more detailed...
We can leave it as it is that way even if its unrelated they can go to other thread and see both with responses.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My post in this thread makes no sense if my post (and the one from the OP of this thread) in the other thread isn't restored. If that's not restored you might as well just clean this thread up again...
This thread which OP hasnt register is talking about keyboard Swipe plus Dragon , the other thread where another OP hasnt register is talking some type of swipe from corner , the member Ajwright64 was not the original poster , and had copy and pasted that same message in couple different threads .

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This thread which OP hasnt register is talking about keyboard Swipe plus Dragon , the other thread where another OP hasnt register is talking some type of swipe from corner , the member Ajwright64 was not the original poster , and had copy and pasted that same message in couple different threads .

Situation has been taken care of...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201