Swype is pissing me off!

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I frakking hate typing numbers in swype. Who the hell decided that instead of 2.1, I would rather type 2moro.10q by default? I know it's technically a beta prophecy, but COME ON! I use regular old english. I have NO damn use for the following:
10q, 2moro, 2nite, 4ever, 411, 49ers, 518xxxyyyy@vzwpix.com (no idea how it got in there, but I can't erase it! It just won't go away!) 76ers or 7-eleven!

Until swype provides us with a way to delete stock words from the dictionary, or let our input override what it thinks we want, it is broken in my eyes.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk (and swype)

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
This won't directly help with your Swype complaints, but I highly recommend Swiftkey.

I was reluctant to use anything except the stock keyboard and have tried both Swype and Swiftkey...but only for a day or two and would then go back stock. At the urging of a friend I reinstalled Swiftkey a week ago and stuck with it. It now seems to know what I'm typing before I do. I can bang out a text or email very quickly now. It is worth a shot, but just have some patience and give it a few days to learn your habits.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I had it the first week it was out, and then did a factory reset and forgot it. Thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

Taero

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Double tap the word you want to get rid of so it's higlighted, then push the swype key at the bottom left of the keyboard, it'll delete the word from the memory, also if you get that option list open which wants you to tap the word you want and there's a random word at the top of the list, tap the swype key and it'll delete it for you.

Hopefully this helped.

Reactions: Twofingerz

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I know how to delete words... that stubborn bastard keeps coming back.

Thank you though, Taero. 10 out of 10 to you for your first post being a helpful one! Welcome to the forums!

Saiyaman156

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I started using Vlingo for doing texts when I am in the car (safety and such). It is amazing.

As for Swype, I do agree that the random things it does is annoying. I hate that it automatically adds some words to my dictionary, such as 8am (which showed up at seemingly random times). I do like it though. I might try SwiftKey some day.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Real easy way to type numbers is to put your finger on the swype keys and drag to the f

brings up a nice little number pad

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Real easy way to type numbers is to put your finger on the swype keys and drag to the f

brings up a nice little number pad
Yeah, but the default for single digits gets overridden. If I type 1 and press space, I get 10q by default instead of 1. irritating

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried to delete words from the dictionary and it only works about half the time. The other half the"help"menu comes up. Is there something I should know?

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Double tap the word you want to get rid of so it's higlighted, then push the swype key at the bottom left of the keyboard, it'll delete the word from the memory, also if you get that option list open which wants you to tap the word you want and there's a random word at the top of the list, tap the swype key and it'll delete it for you.

Hopefully this helped.

Unfortunately, you can only delete words that you added, not ones that came stock with swype - like 2moro, 76ers, etc.

Reactions: kyleresq

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I had no idea. Now i can stop trying to delete these stupid words. Someone in another thread said if you turn off predictive text that will work too and it did.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
+1 for gingerbread keyboard.
Used swype 6 months then when the apex rom had gingerbread kb as default I gave it a try. Almost a month later I do not miss swype.

Tapatalk

JPGeorge

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Swype Dictionary Beta version

You cannot delete dictionary entries that came with the beta version (such as 10q 49ers etc). You are stuck with them.
You can only use the double-tap / swype key combo to delete words which YOU entered.

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I used to be a big Swype advocate, but I decided to try out SwiftKey when the Amazon App Store gave it away for free one day. I haven't looked back.

jak112460

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
This is a perfect example of why clever ideas are only clever to the person who came up with the idea. People who design these products are living in a hole with their collectable GI Joes and posters of Farrah. A five year old could correct the issues these clever people create. How many of you have seen something that's considered clever and you can't figure out how the thing even works? Then you read the instructions and wonder why you even tried to figure it out.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It's really easy to sit back and rip holes into others' work. I couldn't have thought of the concept of Swype, I CERTAINLY couldn't have implemented it, and I'm not arrogant enough to think I could fix problems just because I can identify them. Is it frustrating? Sure. But what the heck if your example of it being "too clever" to figure out? If you know a qwerty keyboard, it's a piece of cake.

I don't know why a 7-month old dead thread got resurrected with info that had already been posted, but while we're at it, it turned out that I had turned word prediction on.

Sent via Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz