T-Mobile AWS Bands?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There are two models of Nexus 5. The only one you can buy in the US officially supports AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile voice, 3G, and LTE service.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I know on T-mobile website its says Nexus 5 coming soon, but I havent seen anything about AWS bands on the PlayStore.

It has all necessary bands for voice & data (including LTE) on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and more. As for HSPA+ we can know it has at least 21mbps, with a great chance that its 42mbps.

MikeySoft001

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I asked about HSPA+ because while I live in the USA, I often take trips to China where it is easy to get local HSPA+ SIM cards. I think China is still working on LTE and I heard it will not be capatiable with N American's versions of LTE. I'm not sure what freq China uses for HSPA+. I think it is ASW. The nexus 4 works in China. I plan to get a nexus 5 to use home in the US and when I travel.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Theatrical Specifications (On Play Store Nexus 5 description had another page hidden with a Right Arrow that gave this info)

Sensors
Accelerometer
GPS
Compass
Proximity/Ambient Light
Gyroscope
Pressure
Hall Effect

Network

2G/3G/4G LTE
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Supported Service
Unlocked: Use with any provider that offers service on Nexus 5 supported networks
Carriers: T-Mobile, Sprint

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
This is why i originally started the thread.

On N4 page it specifically says AWS, no mention at all of AWS on N5 page.

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
The challenge is that they did not specifically state that they supported the 1700 MHz AWS band. As noted by others, this was stated for the N4 and as Google released "developer versions" of the HTC ONE and of the S4 without support for AWS, one can only wonder.

I just bought a black 32GB Nexus 5 from Google's Play Store and I was wondering if I did not mess-up... especially IF it didn't support HSPA+ being that LTE is not active in my area at this time.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The challenge is that they did not specifically state that they supported the 1700 MHz AWS band. As noted by others, this was stated for the N4 and as Google released "developer versions" of the HTC ONE and of the S4 without support for AWS, one can only wonder.

I just bought a black 32GB Nexus 5 from Google's Play Store and I was wondering if I did not mess-up... especially IF it didn't support HSPA+ being that LTE is not active in my area at this time.

Yes, they did. On the device page they state that the Nexus 5 supports WCDMA on bands 1/2/4/5/6/8/19. T-mobile runs HSPA+ on bands 2/4, and LTE on band 4.

You guys are used to seeing manufacturers specifically call out AWS in the support, but almost every one of them has switched to using the actual band numbers instead. I understand why you're confused, but the page states quite clearly that it supports ALL of t-mobile USA's frequencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
This is good to hear. Thanks for the clarification.

In another thread, someone was wondering about 3g coverage in Europe on the NA version. I see that the only difference in the two models for WCDMA bands is the lack of band 8 on the NA model. I wonder if this is the same confusion regarding the way the specs were listed. Unless band 8 is the predominant HSPA band there, we should be covered.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
In another thread, someone was wondering about 3g coverage in Europe on the NA version. I see that the only difference in the two models for WCDMA bands is the lack of band 8 on the NA model. I wonder if this is the same confusion regarding the way the specs were listed. Unless band 8 is the predominant HSPA band there, we should be covered.

See the list above. WCDMA band 8 (900MHz) is supported. It is LTE band 8 that is missing. WCDMA band 8 is quite important and widely used. But LTE bands in Europe are all over the place. Missing LTE band 8 is not that a big deal unless you want to use the NA version in Europe permanently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danilechadwick