Tab 2 10.1 won't stay off

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I had this shutdown issue too after the last update early this fall to 4.2.2. I found a fix- I unmounted my external sd card while the tablet was running on AC power. Then I cycled 3-4 normal shutdowns (not reboots/restarts) while staying on AC power. I was able to put the sd card back in and continued to get a normal successful shutdown. Then I was able to get the lated firmare update to install successfully which does fix this issue...

Posted via Android Central App

Karleen

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, tried for the 2nd time to get the latest update through Kies. Don't think it worked -- altho Kies did actually back up my tablet. Now, whether deleting (copying to my computer) the 800 photos I had on my tablet 'did the trick', I'm not sure!

Kies hung up at some point in the update, and I had to use Windows Task Manager to 'end process.' Still wouldn't shut down, tho. BUT.... I tried what MarkHirt tried:
What still works for me....
Turn off (it reboots), then the lock screen shows turn off again.
Works every time

And.... my tablet is OFF! I hasn't been off since September 2013!! Now let's see if it comes back on..... ok, it's On......

We'll see.. it still says "Android Version 4.2.2" How important are the "Kernel Version" and the "Build Number" ??

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Tried everything mentioned here and elsewhere and still no go. What I really wish is to downgrade to factory settings, since that was the best UI, but I can't even do that if it can't turn off.

Tokio_Love

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've found that the only thing that works for me is shutting it off while it is on the charger. (I long press on the power button, and the charging battery icon displays) Now I'm currently trying to update my firmware over Kies via usb because it wasn't showing an update through wireless. Been stuck at 0% for the past hour..........

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I finally got the firmware to update .... by using the "won't shut down" workaround mentioned elsewhere in this thread and in other threads:
  • unmount and remove SD card
  • keep it plugged in to AC power
  • cycle on and off (OFF, not restart, may require doing it from lock screen) several times.

Since the update, the tablet shuts down perfectly - with or without AC power, with or without the SD card installed, and regardless of whether it's on the lock screen or not.

The first couple of times I tried the above, it didn't fix the "won't shut down" problem and the firmware wouldn't install - Kies or wifi. Maybe it would shut down sporadically, but not consistently or permanently enough to allow the firmware to update. Maybe I failed to cycle on/off enough, maybe I either did or didn't phycially remove the SD card after unmounting it. Maybe I did or didn't replace the SD card after the cycles. I really don't know what I did differently when it finally was able to update the firmware. I just kept at it and it finally worked, and has solved that idiotic "won't shut off" problem.

So my recommendation is to at least give this workaround a few tries and if you're lucky eventually it will work.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Finally replaced Samsung's broken garbage on my wife's Tab 2 10.1 with CWM and CM, yesterday afternoon. Ironically: It turned out her tablet had the "won't stay shut down" bug. Luckily, I found I was able to enter download mode by holding power + volume down as soon as the screen went dark. That allowed me to get CWM into the thing, then CM and Gapps.

She's now happily running a non-Samsung-infested version of Android. No more nagging about updates that won't install, and a tablet that won't shut off.

She says she's going to miss Samsung Push, tho :D (Read the ratings on the Samsung Push service, on the Play Store.)

Steve Allen1

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been doing a double shut down since the update to 4.2.2. I finally got around to getting onto this forum. I just finished getting Samsung's update installed, and (keeping my fingers crossed), the first shutdown has worked okay (one shutdown only). I am however going to print out 'Old Stoneface's' solution with CWM and CM, so that if the shutdown problem crops up again, I'll go to that route.
Steve
Edit: I should mention that I too have been having trouble with failed update downloads. One thing that was different today is that I created a new Samsung account; because of needing to update my email address. I also fiddled around with the removal and reinsertion of the SD card; or maybe it was just a fluke and it happened to work this time. I'm leaning towards it being a new Samsung account.

Last edited:

elcubanito66

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello all. I had the same problem and I listed it below but now it works great after the new update came out. The old PDA was P5113UEUCMH2 but the new PDA is P5113UEUCMK3. It still 4.2.2 but my tab 2 10.1 turns off now and also handles much better.I tried to install it thru Kies but it didn't want to work so I did it manually. I love it. Any questions, ask away.

elcubanito66

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
didn;t have to do that. Kies has an update and if it doesn't want to work that way, I went with ODIN and downloaded the new PDA for it. Works great now.

lpet

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been holding of writing this for 2 weeks to make sure it works OK.
I have tried the latest update that is supposed to fix the “reboot problem.”
Like many others on here indicated afterwards it stated “update unsuccessful”
But I did not “Kies” as everyone is suggesting. All I did was go to “settings”
on the Samsung Tablet then scroll down to “about device” and click on the
“software update” (It may ask you to reboot which is ok) and it downloads
in about 15 minutes. It has been 2 week and shuts down perfect every day
since. Hope this works for you too.

John Fenuccio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Elcubanito66,

Would you mind letting me know the step by step instructions you took to do this because I have done all the research I can and considering rooting because my tab, with 4.2.2 won't shut off but I can get it into download and boot mode so I think I can apply an update that way but would like to hear what you have to say before doing it as I don't want to brick my fianc?'s device.

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Look at my first post about using AC power, shutting down (not restartingfrebooting), etc... Simple and it is the fix that works for all or most... I have seen many folks say thanks, it worked too for them. IT IS THE ISSUE A PREVIOUS UPDATE CAUSED, IT IS A SHUTDOWN ISSUE. Kies won't do it, you do not need to restore it, nor do you need to root it... Rooting it will work but that is an extreme method... and rooting comes with its own problems...

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

lpet

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I have tried the latest update that is supposed to fix the “reboot problem.”
Like many others on here indicated afterwards it stated “update unsuccessful”
But I did not use “Kies” as everyone is suggesting. All I did was go back to “settings”
on the Samsung Tablet then scroll down to “about device” and click on the
“software update” (It may ask you to reboot which is ok) and it downloads
in about 15 minutes. It has been 3 week and shuts down perfect every day.
I did this on a friend of mine and it shuts down every time.

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Going to Settings /About/Update is what fails either automatically and manually for those with the shutdown problem. You must fix or resolve the shutdown issue to obtain a normal shutdown before any updates subsequently would take... Kies will not do anything but do the update proccess via Samsung or WiFi or with a PC also , and it will also fail to get a successful update so long as the shutdown is abnormal... All updates require a normal shutdown to reboot to install and this issue prevents that, which is why the update fails to take...

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

Steve Breault

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
FIX:

1. Connect Tab 2 tablet to PC using USB.
2. Access Tab 2 settings and into device updates.
3. Download and install latest Samsung patch/update. This will reboot Tab 2.
4. Do NOT enter locked screen, rather hold down Power button until Tab 2 completely restarts by itself. Do NOT let go of Power button when you see the shutdown/airplane mode dialog.
(Tab 2 is still connected and charging via PC while this is all happening)
5. Tab 2 will display Duracell battery screen (i.e. Tab 2 has shutdown).

alexpro1

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I see that Cahl's solution works quite often but what if you don't have an external memory card in the SD slot? I have tried everything but can't get around this problem.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisab126