Tab S4 or Surface Pro 2017 with i5

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I am not able to decide between Tab S4 and Microsoft surface pro 2017 with i5 and 8GB RAM. If any of you have both the devices, would like to know which you will prefer if you need one for following.

- Multimedia (Netflix, prime etc)
- Office 365 mail and calendar integration
- Editing Microsoft docs
- Multitasking
- Signing documents

I hope battery endurance is good on both of them.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So I have a Galaxy Book (I5) and the S4. I have them both with me on a buisness trip. I tend to use Windows at work mostly because I have Office on the Galaxy Book and it's not free on the Tab S4. Right now in my hotel room the Galaxy Book is still in my backpack and I've been using the Tab S4 and BT Keyboard all day.

What I found is noticably worse on the Windows Galaxy Book is the lag. On the S4 things open instantly, even the Office apps where they are slower on the Galaxy Book.

If you use DeX and are willing to pay for, or already have an Office 365 subbscription then the S4 is a reasonable alternative for 4 of your 5 bullets above. For Multitasking I'd need more of an explaination of what you mean to answer that and of course if you're a heavy windows user the available Android apps may not be up to your expectations.

Something that you did not ask but I'm going to comment on anyways is that I purchased the 12" Galaxy Book with the intention that when I wasn't using it as a Windows computer that it would substitute a a tablet.....it does not. Windows does not make a good tablet. So if you also want the device to function as a tablet then I'd recommend the S4.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot. That's the exact situation and solution am looking for. I have mac at work but use note series for my phones. I need a tablet for my travel and entertainment but should help with my office work when needed. You solved my confusion when you nailed down that windows cannot be used as tablet.
I hope battery life is great on S4. Thanks for your information.

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I personally had to make kind of the same choice when I was replacing my MacBook, i went with the tab s4, use it for school n work and don't regret it. I did want a Samsung laptop/tablet combo, but as stated above windows isn't the best as a tablet and DeX is amazing if you understand androids limitations.

I have a windows desktop if I did need it for anything, bit haven't really had to turn her on.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Typically I don't find power outlets scarce but this past week on a 6 hour flight I watched five one hour downloaded episodes of Rebellion on Netflix and played maybe a half hour of solitare and used less than 25% of my battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201