Taking my GNex to Europe

Vitis Vinifera

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely appealling to the techies who know their stuff, which I certainly don't.

Basic stuff, I'll number my questions.

1. Will it dial and get on the voice networks in Europe? I'll be all over but probably mainly in Slovenia and Croatia.

2. Will data/web work, and if so, should I turn it off if there are crazy roaming all the way over there?

3. I can get on wifi and my understanding is it will work over there just like how it works here. (this one isn't really a question unless there's something I'm unaware of and should know about).

4. What kinds of connectors or adapters should I get to recharge from a power outlet?

5. Anything else I should know about? Perhaps there's a good general knowledge article that could be shared?

thanks so much!

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
1. Will it dial and get on the voice networks in Europe? I'll be all over but probably mainly in Slovenia and Croatia.

--> It should connect to Verizon's international partners and get you both data and voice. It will of course cost a tidy packet. You'll get text messages telling you about the network, a helpline number as well as cost for incoming, outgoing calls and data usage per KB as soon as the phone connects to a network. The phone is unlikely to connect to a 4G network unless Verizon's international partner also offers 4G, but if I understand it correctly, almost no other country other than the US and UK have 4G and certainly not on CDMA.

2. Will data/web work, and if so, should I turn it off if there are crazy roaming all the way over there?
--> Data works, but costs a bomb. You may want to turn off auto-sync if you don't want to incur these costs without knowing the cost first (which as I said above, will be notified to you by a text message which'll arrive seconds after you've connected to a network).

3. I can get on wifi and my understanding is it will work over there just like how it works here. (this one isn't really a question unless there's something I'm unaware of and should know about).
--> Yes, it will work like a handheld computer over a wifi network.

4. What kinds of connectors or adapters should I get to recharge from a power outlet?
--> A universal adaptor/travel adaptor is best.

Best to check all this with Verizon before you leave.

Vitis Vinifera

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
yes, it's CDMA, so I think I couldn't get gouged with huge data and voice rates even if I wanted. I think the best plan is to put it in airplane mode and turn wifi on, from what I've read. As I understand it, airplane mode turns off both voice and data and it's basically a palm pilot with wifi.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rschat1020