Tap to Pay

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got an update to Google Wallet and I now have Tap to Pay. Can't wait until I have it on my Droid Maxx.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
We have Isis here... We were one of the two markets that's had it for a while. Two to pay is about everywhere here.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
For those who have "tap to pay" on the 2013 Nexus 7, can I assume you were using the tablet without a connection to the Internet?

The reason I ask is I've read another thread about Google Wallet and Google's "Host Card Emulation" solution and one member stated that HCE was a poor solution because it required a connection to the cloud in order to process the payment. I thought from the beginning that this person's comment was wrong but I would be certain the comment was wrong if a 2013 Wi-Fi only Nexus 7 was able to use "tap and pay" without using the store's WiFi or a tether.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used it yet. I just set it up.

I don't see why it would require an internet connection though. All it does is pass the cards info to the CC machine, just as if the card was swiped. It's up to the CC machine to make sure money is available and process the transaction, not Google Wallet.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used it yet. I just set it up.

I don't see why it would require an internet connection though. All it does is pass the cards info to the CC machine, just as if the card was swiped. It's up to the CC machine to make sure money is available and process the transaction, not Google Wallet.

Thanks for the update. I have a 2013 Nexus 7 and I'll test it out when I get a chance.

Like you, my belief is there's no requirement that the tablet have an Internet connection to complete the "tap and pay" process. The person who had made the statement that an Internet connect was required asserted that Google's "Host Card Emulation" solution required cloud access. I believe the "Host Card Emulation" solution resides within the device and doesn't require cloud access. Time will tell....

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
For those who have "tap to pay" on the 2013 Nexus 7, can I assume you were using the tablet without a connection to the Internet?

The reason I ask is I've read another thread about Google Wallet and Google's "Host Card Emulation" solution and one member stated that HCE was a poor solution because it required a connection to the cloud in order to process the payment. I thought from the beginning that this person's comment was wrong but I would be certain the comment was wrong if a 2013 Wi-Fi only Nexus 7 was able to use "tap and pay" without using the store's WiFi or a tether.

Answering my own question here.......

I went to McDonald's and used my WiFi Nexus 7 (2013) and completed my purchase with Google Wallet. It was fairly fast and very easy.

I'm 99% certain that I was able to complete this transaction without access to the Internet. The reason I'm not 100% certain is because after I paid with Google Wallet I noticed my Nexus 7 was trying to connect to the McDonald's Free WiFi network. I doubt that Google Wallet used that access, however, because I was not able to use McDonald's Free WiFi to surf the Internet with Google Chrome until after I was directed to a McDonald's webpage and agreed to their terms and conditions.

TLDR - I'm 99% sure you don't need access to the Internet to use Google Wallet. :)

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
You do not need Internet access to use Google Wallet, the transactions will go through just fine. You will need internet access for a detailed receipt that shows the name of the place you used Google Wallet and the location.

Ice

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
josephliam147258