TB Rooting + Rom Manager Problem

Baby_Bee06

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I JUST rooted my phone about 4 hours ago. I then downloaded Rom Manager to get the newest gingerbread to use Skype with the camera. I have no idea whats happened, but I was prompted to restart my Thunderbolt, and now it just restarts on a loop. about every 2 min I hear the thunder going off... I took the battery out, and restarted the phone, but it keeps looping.

Will VZ know I rooted my phone if i go and have them fix this?? Is there any way for me to fix this problem myself??

Thanks in advanced for any help!!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't bring it to Verizon.. we'll get it working.

Sounds like a bad download or something went wrong when you flashed the zip. Worse case scenario.. flash the MR1 RUU and you're phone will be working again.
First lets see if we can get the ROM you flashed working for you.
Did you clear the data/cache/dalvik before you flashed the ROM? What ROM is it?
Power on the phone while holding the volume down rocker until you see the hboot screen... Go to recovery.. install from SD Card.. and try flashing the ROM again. Make sure to wipe the data and caches.
If that doesn't work...
Did you make a backup? Go to recovery... Install from SD Card... ClockworkMod.. and flash your backup if the above doesn't work.

Let me know what happens... If you don't have a backup... You can flash the MR1 RUU to get the phone back to stock rooted and working again.

Here's the guide..
http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby_Bee06

Baby_Bee06

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I thought I did enough researching before I did this root, but I have no idea what MR1 RUU is. I cleared the data/cache and I was trying to download Cyanogen. I didnt back up anything, and I still have the zip file on my SD card from the root process. I held down the vol down but nothing happened, it just restarted again. I'm going to try it again though.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
If you're talking about the pg05img.zip from the root process... You need to remove it from the SD Card after rooting the phone. It will block you from manually getting to recovery through hboot which is what you are going to need to do if your phones stuck in a loop.

Baby_Bee06

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, Now that Ive looked at your guide, I didnt clear anything, when I was prompted to clear with the root manager I did, but when the black screen came up with the root manager logo in the background, i just went to reboot recovery.

Also that is the file I have on my SD card... Would it be possible for me to just do a factory reset and starting over? I wont loose too much because I havent really tinkered with my rooted thunderbolt yet. I read on a forum that the only way to remove that file it to use a sd reader with my pc, or use someone elses phone.

I think my best option is to put it back to factory and re-root, then follow your guide to install a new rom, lol

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
All you need to do is rename the PG05IMG.zip file to something else... or just delete it.... but you need to do that before you will be able to get into Recovery.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Did you get everything figured out or do you still need help? You don't need to re-root by the way... Its a simple fix... Just need to know where you're at so far.

Baby_Bee06

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from work, sat in traffic, went to walmart and got a $8 sd reader, and am currently removing the .zip file, and trying to get to the recovery screen

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure where you are stuck... so let's start from scratch... power off/pull the battery if you just... press and hold the Volume Down button, while this is held down press the Power button, hold them both down for at least 10 seconds, then let go of the Power button, then the Volume Down... this should boot you up into the white hBoot screen... can you get to this???

Baby_Bee06

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
No. It starts at the white HTC screen, then the HTC "quietly brilliant" screen, then to the thunderbolt animation.

What I did:
Remove battery, Replace battery, It vibrates, I held down the volume down button, and pressed the power button at the same time. then after a little bit the phone vibrates again, after i count to 10 i release the power button and then the volume down key.

I did not get to the hboot screen, and I removed the PG05IMG.zip file from my sd card.

I also did this:
While it is still looping, it only shows the HTC "quietly brilliant" screen and the thunderbolt animation, after the animation was over, i repeated this process. (it doesnt vibrate at all while its looping)

neither one was able to get me to the white hboot screen.

Baby_Bee06

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
OMG time out, it worked for me. I held in the vol down before i powered it up... I guess i was a little to air headed to get that the first time, lol. im at the hboot screen now!! what do i do??

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
DO NOT PRESS the buttons at the same time... pull the battery, put it back in, wait 10-15 seconds, still should have a black screen... hold down the Volume Down button, then and only then press the Power button, hold them both down for at least 10 seconds, then let go of the Power button, then let go of the Volume Down button.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
OMG time out, it worked for me. I held in the vol down before i powered it up... I guess i was a little to air headed to get that the first time, lol. im at the hboot screen now!! what do i do??

Ok... this is good... you might have to pull the battery again... but do you see Recovery as an option right now???

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Another good thing... now... what ROM do you want to load??? Stock ROM, or maybe a custom ROM???

Either way, you need to pull the battery again... take out the SD card... and load that ROM onto your SD card... then you will boot up again into the hBoot screen, select Recovery and follow the directions on how to load a ROM, Factory wipe data, wipe cache, and wipe Dalvik cache... then install from a Zip file.

Chance if you load anything other than the stock ROM you might have to load a new Radio file... even if you load the stock ROM you will want to update your Radio by following the http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/97307-guide-upgrade-mr2-compatible-rom-radio-mr1-after-root.html... if you load a custom Gingerbread ROM you will need to find and load a Gingerbread Radio.

Baby_Bee06

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to load Canogen Mod thats named 2.6.35.14-08042011.zip. thats what i was attempting to download and such. Do you now if thats fine to download still, and is it a custom ROM? And how do I figure out if i need a new Radio, and where to download it? I'd google it, but i think ill get a better answer from you. lol

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to load Canogen Mod thats named 2.6.35.14-08042011.zip. thats what i was attempting to download and such. Do you now if thats fine to download still, and is it a custom ROM? And how do I figure out if i need a new Radio, and where to download it? I'd google it, but i think ill get a better answer from you. lol

Sounds like you are attempting to download a nightly build... not good... and CM7 is not a good ROM to start with, because you will also have to load the GAPPS file just to get the Google Apps. I don't want to tell anyone what to start with, but I'd have to recommend either Das BAMF Forever 1.0.4, or Gingeritis 3D which are both very good Gingerbread Sense ROMs.

As far as Radio... if you choose one of these two ROMs... go to [RADIO] HTC Thunderbolt Radios [PG05IMG.zip] (Updated: 23 Aug 2011)... you will need to download the CDMA radio, AND the LTE radio... the latest Gingerbread CDMA radio: From the 2.11.605.0 RUU... and the latest LTE radio: From the 2.10.605.1 RUU

To install the radio after you have the ROM loaded...

To flash the radio, rename the zip to PG05IMG.zip if it's not already and place it on the root of your SD Card. Boot into Bootloader: power off your phone... Turn the phone back on by holding down the volume down rocker and the power button at the same time until the phone opens in bootloader. The zip should start running and updating the radio. Once done reboot the phone on and remove the PG05IMG.zip from your phone, or rename, or move it off the root of the sd card in another folder. If its not moved after the installation it will constantly keep trying to update the radio if you ever need to boot into bootloader again to get to recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyber Warrior

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomeoCatcher